Did I Get A Bargain?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
All,

I bought a HO Bachmann Spectrum Fairbanks Morse H16-44 Diesel Pensylvannia (black with yellow decals) from my local mecca yesterday for $49 AUS. They had heaps of them!! In a number of liveries.

I have no idea of US prices, so I don't know if this is a bargain or just the normal price. $49 AUS is $25 US.

Great little runner, with all wheel pickup and all wheel drive.

Models of local Australian prototypes are usually $110 - $240 AUS. I would call what I bought "extremely cheap", but I don't know what you (in the US) would think of the price I paid.

I intend to bash it into a Victorian Raliway's "T Class" look alike. (just give it a paint job and decals).

Are these H16-44's "old stock"? Bits of junk dumped on the Australian market?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
looks like I did!!

Just did some searching...... Looks like I did!!

This is the exact one...
bacspechofai3.html

From here

Now why would they have hundreds of them in my local store for $25 US, when also they would have cost of shipping them hereas well?????

Oh..... just looked at the box. "Made in China". I suppose, we are closer to China that the US is, so shipping costs may be cheaper!!! :) :)

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Woodie - Any tax at the US sites would be state tax. I could be wrong but I'm don't think it is collected on internet sales. Maybe they shipped a bunch from here to Oz by mistake and it costs too much to ship them back!