Did I Get A Bargain?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Woodie, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

I bought a HO Bachmann Spectrum Fairbanks Morse H16-44 Diesel Pensylvannia (black with yellow decals) from my local mecca yesterday for $49 AUS. They had heaps of them!! In a number of liveries.

I have no idea of US prices, so I don't know if this is a bargain or just the normal price. $49 AUS is $25 US.

Great little runner, with all wheel pickup and all wheel drive.

Models of local Australian prototypes are usually $110 - $240 AUS. I would call what I bought "extremely cheap", but I don't know what you (in the US) would think of the price I paid.

I intend to bash it into a Victorian Raliway's "T Class" look alike. (just give it a paint job and decals).

Are these H16-44's "old stock"? Bits of junk dumped on the Australian market?
  2. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

looks like I did!!

Just did some searching...... Looks like I did!!

This is the exact one...

From here

Now why would they have hundreds of them in my local store for $25 US, when also they would have cost of shipping them hereas well?????

Oh..... just looked at the box. "Made in China". I suppose, we are closer to China that the US is, so shipping costs may be cheaper!!! :) :)
  3. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

.... and here

and here

But the 81207 (Pennsylvania) is not listed.

BTW.... are these prices listed from these US sites "plus tax"??
  4. billk

billk Active Member

Woodie - Any tax at the US sites would be state tax. I could be wrong but I'm don't think it is collected on internet sales. Maybe they shipped a bunch from here to Oz by mistake and it costs too much to ship them back!