DH Rapide semi scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, May 9, 2007.

1. barry

barry Active Member

A bit of a marketing exercise I got a request for, as usual no real scale This one is simplified hopefully enough for kids to do. If necessary I will make the engines square. I also missed off the the 4 stringers which give a bit of curvature to the fuselage. The tail is at the wrong angle. No formers involved. I'm struggling through the paint job. I am quite pleased with the engine nacelles in general but the wheel spats require some attention.

If any one has a pic of this plane from the back I would appreciate seeing it. I shall do no more on this mockup I know pretty much where it needs strengthening etc so it might turn out half way decent.

In fact it would make a great model with much more work it needs seats and a cockpit etc. There are so many colour schemes for this aircraft you could have fun for years and it has no guns for a change.

I am surprised they don't resurrect this little kite for Africa so simple yet so effective, modern is not always best. You will gather I fell in love with it and I have no doubt I will come back to it.

My apologies for the way it has been thrown together come to think of it most of my recent ones look that way I looked at my old Fuso and thought deterioration is setting in.............since then

Does this idiot think it's that good ?

The english contingent will probably recognise the registration number

ps the tail plane camoflage is where I dropped it in the coffee cup
  2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Is this what you mean?

Hello Barry,

please specify what you mean by pictures from the back - is this of any help? Holler if you need anything else; I've got several good links.

3. barry

barry Active Member

Great thank you. The first one gave the view of the nacelles I needed

best wishes barry
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Nice one Barry, did DeHavilland ever build an aircraft that didn't look good?
  5. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Nice, Barry. Another one of my favorites. Here's a good drawing I came across somewhere. Should be useful if you don't already have a copy. Also another of the DH-84 for comparison.

Scott K.
  6. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Barry, you know there is a superb DH89 by Schreiber Modellbaubogen in 1/24 Scale? Have a look at moduni.de !
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Scott thanks for the drawings much better than the tiny one I used .

Rick no I liked all of DH's planes

Sparrowhawk thanks for the tip unfortunately for what is wanted here it's relatively expensive and complicated and the wrong colours I would not mind building it for myself though.

This is one of those jobs where I will probably add a flat card chuck glider just in case it is too difficult for some.

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

De Havilland Dragon Rapide

This is one of my favourites, too, from the 'Golden Era' of aviation.

Here´s a link to Schreiber-Bogen and their 1:24 scale De Havilland DH89 'Dragon Rapide': http://www.schreiber-bogen.com/ -just click 1. The UK flag 2. Catalogue and 3. aeroplanes - it´s the fourth from the top in the left-hand row.

This is how it looks when built, with the starboard engine running:

And this is a link to Moduni.de in Germany, if you would like to order it: http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/products_id/6098610

Bengt :D
  9. barry

barry Active Member

DH Rapide

many thanks it's beautiful and very likely beyond my capabilities either to build or design. I am amazed at the quality of the engine nacelle fronts wish I could meet the designer and get him to tell me how he did it. I think I would be looking for a CmdrTed type plastic vac.

What I am trying to do is build one for kids with no experience and believe me I'm finding it hard to do.

Think I will stick to ships somehow.

best regards