DGA 1/48 Caudron Luciole

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cdavenport, Dec 2, 2009.

1. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

With a bit of care and attention to detail, you can take a simple model and make it look like a more expensive one.

Features on this simple but satisfying build:
    1. Scratchbuilt prop from LetraMax 2000 mechanical illustration board. Hub designed on AutoCad.
    2. Aluminized cowling using self-adhesive aluminum foil. The carb intake is just a piece of household Al, formed over a male buck made from the kit part, held in place with CA.
    3. Wheels...I cheated; they came from the spare plastics parts bin.
    4. Flying wires: stainless steel wire from Small Parts.
    6. Cabane Struts: copy paper formed around steel wire and tapered at the trailing edge.
    7. Scratchbuilt cockpit...not that there was anything wrong with the kit parts. I was just having a good time.
    8. Scalloped TE on wing formed with a punch.

Hope you like it!

Attached Files:

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I used the self adhesive foil technique on a plastic P38J I did a while back and the results still look stunning. It may be plastic, but it's still one of my favorite models...

Now I just need to find a 1/24 scale model in paper... :mrgreen:
  3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

You know something? I think there is something out there to meet your need. What about the Guillow flying model? That's gotta be around 1/24 scale because it's far larger than the 1/32 scale plastic model.

You would have to scratchbuild the cockpit....no big deal. You would also have to paint it. But, covering the frame in card is a snap; I did it way back in 1975 with a Guillow P-40. I wanted a model without all the ribs so I glued note cards in place suitably sized. I had no knowledge of paper models at the time or 8 x 11 card stock, and I used Elmers which took forever to dry!

You now have no excuse. Sallie forth and begin the build! Actually, you could inspire a new aspect of the hobby.
  4. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I just checked; it's 1/16 scale, even bigger! I am thinking of doing the B-24 if I can buy one without mortgaging my house! Geez, those models have gotten expensive.
  5. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Wow! A mixed media build! Are you sure that's legal? :p Is that you in the cockpit in the second picture? Really nice job on the model! :thumb:

The Guillow PBY-5A Catalina in 1/24(?) sure looks sweet, but $96 sale price? :eek:
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Thanks! The pilot is a reworked image I pulled off the internet. I am going to put myself in the cockpit just as soon as I get some bright sunshine. It's been raining cats and dogs here in Athens, GA.

I thought so much of my idea about using a Guillows model that I just bought the B-24 on Ebay for a measly $70 shipping included. I must be on drugs. Here's another model that will sit around in the closet until the end of the world....which is only 2 years away!
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I couldn't resist. This is the reason I started into photography waaay back in 1970. I have been placing my friends in their cockpits since the 1990s using actual pictures cutout and posed near the actual model.

Thanks for your expressions of praise and support! It gives me spiritual energy to build more!

I'll move on.
    Attached Thumbnails

Attached Files:

8. Oliver Bizer

Oliver Bizer Member

WOW Chuck is an pilot :eek: :mrgreen:

SUPER Model :thumb: