Details for Athearn RTR C&NW 9-44C

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Hi,

I was thinking about getting a Athearn RTR C&NW C44-9W and adding details from Details West to make it more realistic and I was wondering if anybody knew what details I would need.

I figure I'd save alot of money doing this and buying my own decoder over buying one with sound/dcc already in it.The engine is only $50 so I could save quite a bit I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Get the loco first, then find some prototype photos of that particular engine. Compare the photos to your model and you will see what details you need to add.

Good luck! :thumb:

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Yeah thanks!

I know about about all the hoses and the wipers and such,but there's also more subtle details I may miss and a list of what they are and called would be helpful when I go to buy the parts.

Chris

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Lots of guys here will be able to help you find prototype photos on the web and help you compare and pick out details that's not on the model so you will know what to buy.

So post photos of the model when you get it and it should be straightforward from there on in. :thumb:

Good luck!

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Here's a couple photos I found...

CNW8678.JPG

CNW_86.GIF

I want to get the photo etched parts like for the exhaust too.

It seems to me I may need to get a more prototypical plow also,I don't think the one on the RTR has the cutouts for the hoses.

Thanks tom for the help,I'm still new at this stuff.

Chris

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I would get:

Details Associates:

#1508 MU Hoses

#101301 brass sunshades (the stock Athearn ones are rather crude and sticks straight out the sides instead of at a slant).

#2206 lift rings (goes on the side of the long hood on the dynamic brakes compartment).

#2314 Windshield Wipers

#2504 0.012" brass wire (use this to bend the extra grabs, coupler lift bar, and brake cylinder plumbing not present on the Athearn model).

Details West

#234 plow if you don't like the stock Athearn one.

#285 Speed Recorder (goes on the middle axle journal on the fireman's side)

Utah Pacific

#77 wind deflector/cab mirrors

These are the details I can see on the prototype photos that does not look like it's on the Athearn model. Like I said, you want to post big photos of the Athearn model when you get it, so we can pick out more missing details.

Good luck!

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Thanks Tom that certainly helps alot!

I think those details will make a nice difference,but it's not a bad looking engine out of the box for $50.

Chris