Detailing

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I just acquired this unit in an eBay auction this morning, and I was thinking it might be my first detailing exercise. It needs some extra work anyways, so . . . . . .

My query is, though - how do I go about this??? How do I know what to add? What not to add? I know there's articles in magazines from time to time about specific units, but the odds of finding said article for one of these is rather slim I would think.

Any thoughts????

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I'm assuming this is an engine you're talking about...
My advice is, if you're interested in a particular prototype, (pretty easy to guess what your favorite is :D ) try to find books on the RR. Write to their historical societies. Go on line...a good place to look might be the NMRA web site.
As far as magazine articles, you could go to trains.com They have a link to a mag index.
Once you've done your research, & know what you need, finding super-detailing parts for HO locos is certainly no problem.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Mike, if you a modeling one of the Canadian roads try your local hobby shops, there are many books out that have pictures or the road engines, from that you will get an idea as to what you want to spend and how far you want to take the detailing. I know parts are expensive and add up quickly but a few well place ones realy add that extra look of the loco. There are also some sites on the net that you can access that have some info also. If you are modeling something other than Canadian I would try the net to see if there is something like a society or special intrest group for that paticular line. Also try a hobby shop, via e-mail, from the area where the line runs or would have run and see if they either have books on the line or a name of a railroader that models that line so you can have him contact you.
If it is CN or CP there should be lots of railroaders in your area that have books you can look at, if not I have several, you would have to let me know what engine you have I can try look it up and get you a copy somehow, I have a scanner but am not too proficient with it as yet, there is also the fax. Let us know.
Ron, Abbotsford, BC

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mike:
I don't usually add detail, but my rule would be to look at a photo of the prototype and add what you think is missing or what you think you could improve. (e.g. separate handrails/grab irons) The thing to look for is the distinctive details for your road -- headlights, number boards, the weird stacks CN used on some of their diesels, cab sunshades...)
One fellow I knew was selling superdetailed brass locos at the hobby shop. When someone said that the rooves weren't right, he replied that he'd never seen the rooves.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Mike,
If you're detailing a model to represent a specific prototype, this is the process I use.
First, I try to get as many photos of the prototype as I can find, both ends, and both sides, hopefully from the same time period.
Second, study the photos, with the model in hand, and determine, and list the things which have to be removed from the model, or changed/moved.
Third, again, with model and photos , determine and list everything that has to be added to the model to make it look like the prototype. Try to list everything. You may choose later to delete some details as not prominent enough, too difficult, or too delicate to withstand handling.( you gotta pick the thing up once in a while)
Fourth, with the list of "adds", and the photos, go to the hobby shop to get parts. You may not know what everything is, but the photos will help find the part if it is available. If the part isn't available, you can decide to scratch build it, or not include it. Oh by the way, include decals in this list.
Fifth, Remove/move/change according to the list. I like to use the list, and line out each item as it is completed. It's more accurate than memory.
Final, add parts, paint, letter, and enjoy.

The "checklist" approach isn't really fun, but, if the project is interrupted, the checklist helps keep the project on target, and accurate, regardless of the time that has passed since the last work was done.
Pete.