Detailed Tie-Interceptor

loenf

Jul 12, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hi,
these pictures show how I built the wings of the Tie-Fighter. I used for part 58 reinforcement(parts 68,70 and 71) made of 1mm cardstock and I glued it inside.

@ dnalor : I use corrugated cardstock, additional reinforced frames(58 ) and it is also glued in several layers like a sandwich. If you knock on the wing, it sounds very strong, like wood :mrgreen:

24.jpg 25.jpg 26.jpg 27.jpg 28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

loenf

Jul 12, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hi,
that was the Tie Fighter. Now you can see show how I built the wings of the Tie Interceptor:

29.jpg 30.jpg 31.jpg 32.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zathros

Man am I biting my tongue here! Beautiful workmanship Loenf, beautiful. Until this Tie Fighter, I have never see an Tie Fighter so elegant! Truly fantastic! :)

dnalor

Oct 28, 2011
Belgium Europe
Great Tut. how to build it..

never thought about it to use the corrugated cardstock and glue normal cardboard over them..nice :)

Z

Zathros

Great Tut. how to build it..

never thought about it to use the corrugated cardstock and glue normal cardboard over them..nice :)

Nomex Honeycomb, which is quite flexible till epoxy is applied is similar to cardboard and it's application in this case. In a helicopter blade, the Nomex Honeycomb material is doped with a proprietary epoxy resign and carbon fiber is applied over it. The rigidity of the Nomex Honeycomb applied with the tensile strength of the pre peg carbon fiber cloth makes for a very strong, stronger than ay metal, blade, yet flexible, once out of the autoclave, of course. I have seen Blackhawk Helicopter blades with multiple rounds threw the blades and the craft have landed safely. The picture below is of an S-76 blade.

That being said, a corrugated piece of soft cardboard doped up with a stiff glue or resin, can make, cut to shape first, could be a great basis for a strong part. The same cardboard unglued would be a moisture sponge. Glue of some sort is needed to seal it, resin, liquid crazy glue, would make it very stiff, though the health concern for a model part is kind of high. The part showing the cardboard interior looks very industrial! :)

S76-11%20-%20Copy.jpg

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Zathros,
Once again Future comes to mind....what about a coat or two on the corugated before it's assembled....Maybe dry it between coats with a hair dryer. This stuff is so versatile, might be worth a try! And it's not toxic, like superglue or resin...
Mike

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
You are doing an OUTSTANDING job on these models.
I like how you are making this build thread a form of instructions and tutorial.
Thank you for your time and effort.

lehcyfer

Mar 19, 2008
Amazing clean and crisp build. Your models look like computer generated renders of 3D models.

leofirebrand

Jul 24, 2012
The upclose shots really show off just how well done this is. It looks as good upclose as it does far away. Truly impressive.

Z

Zathros

Truly, I have not see any Star Wars craft that look this tight and crisp. They do look like computer renders. You would make George Lucas Proud! :)

ennder

Jul 26, 2008
With a just tad more detail you could build these at Studio scale :wink:

loenf

Jul 12, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hi,
today I finished both versions of the Tie-Fighter templates. They are now available in the download-section. There are also short instructions of the models available. I am really curious about the first pictures of the models build by other modelers. If there are any questions about the model please send me a pm.

Greetings Loenf

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
loenf,
These models are amazing, you are very talented and generous, thank you for sharing!
Mike