Detailed Thunder Fighter Project

mcusanelli

Awesome build! This one could easily fit into any sci - fi universe .....Makes me think of Stargate SG 1. Very cool!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you one and all for the kind words and encouragement.

I do have to say that this (ONGOING) thread is for all of you who are thinking about building a Thunder fighter (and wondering what all can be done with it in regards to detail).
I encourage all of you to use this thread to inspire you and guide you along your own build. (You can use any and/or all of the techniques that I have used in making each and every thunder Fighter, to make yours.)
So please make your own Thunder fighter and post the build thread. I am curious to see what you will come up with.

There will be more Thunder fighters coming. ( I am thinking of which one to make next).

ENJOY!!!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
David Jones Thunder Fighter

Ladies and gentlemen,

It is time for another detailed thunder Fighter build. This time I am building the David Jones Thunder Fighter.

There are a few differences in the texture as well as a few parts that look a little different. So let's get started.

Here is the top half of the main body. As you can see, the circle segments bled a bit.
DSCN5143.jpg

DSCN5144.jpg

DSCN5145.jpg

DSCN5146.jpg

DSCN5147.jpg

Maverick65

Love these Thunder Fighter builds, thanks for sharing your builds with us RB. Now all we need is someone to dog fight with. Has anyone designed/built the Hatchet Fighter yet? That would be a great addition to the Buck Rogers collection. I remember building the plastic version as a kid. Not sure if I still have it in a box or not, will have to look for it someday.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Here is a small update in this project.
I know that there are a few dirty spots (unfortunately, I got a little sloppy)

With these parts, I have left a tab free. This tab will be glued over the main body half, once the part is put in place.
DSCN5152.jpg

Part put in place
DSCN5153.jpg

Tab folded over and glued down. This will make for a smooth and clean line once both halves are glued together.
DSCN5154.jpg

The underside has a few raised panels as well.
DSCN5155.jpg

The vents are louvered.
DSCN5156.jpg

I raised some of the printed texture.
The top part of the engine section is done.
DSCN5157.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Here are the nose cones.

as you see, I raised some of the printed texture.
DSCN5160.jpg

Both nose cones are finished.
DSCN5161.jpg

Both nose cones are attached.
DSCN5162.jpg

DSCN5163.jpg

Here is a close-up of the nose cone. You can see the raised texture here.
DSCN5164.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Here is the back panel for the aft engine section.

DSCN5166.jpg

Here is a close-up showing the detail of the raised panels.
DSCN5167.jpg

DSCN5169.jpg

The panel is attached.
DSCN5170.jpg

DSCN5171.jpg

DSCN5172.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I have attached the cockpit interior.
DSCN5173.jpg

Here are close-up shots of the detailed components.
DSCN5174.jpg

DSCN5175.jpg

DSCN5176.jpg

DSCN5177.jpg

DSCN5178.jpg

Selezen

This probably isn't the sort of comment you expect, but dear God, your camera is good... I can see the grain of the card!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
This probably isn't the sort of comment you expect, but dear God, your camera is good... I can see the grain of the card!

Actually, I will take that as a compliment.
I have a HTC Sensation Smart-phone with a 8 megapixel camera in it. That is what I use to take the photos.

I want those who are looking at building a Thunder Fighter, to have the ability to see all of the details that I have put into each model (even if it is the grain of the paper. :p), so they can make the best model that they can and to be inspired to try new techniques that they may not have used or thought of using before.
That is the whole purpose of this thread.

I look forward to seeing some of you build a Thunder Fighter and what sort of detail you put into it.

ENJOY!!!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Actually, I will take that as a compliment.
I have a HTC Sensation Smart-phone with a 8 megapixel camera in it. That is what I use to take the photos.

I use my Blackberry smartphone with a 5 megapixel camera. Sometimes the closeup shots that I do show TOO MUCH detail!! Namely mistakes!!! :rolleyes:
But it is brilliant as it it literally point and shoot!!!.
I normally take about 20 shots of the subject in hand and choose one that looks the best (or doesnt show too many mistakes)

Nice work as usual RB. :thumb:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I use my Blackberry smartphone with a 5 megapixel camera. Sometimes the closeup shots that I do show TOO MUCH detail!! Namely mistakes!!! :rolleyes:
But it is brilliant as it it literally point and shoot!!!.
I normally take about 20 shots of the subject in hand and choose one that looks the best (or doesnt show too many mistakes)

Nice work as usual RB. :thumb:

I knowwhat you mean. It gives a whols new meaning to the phrase, "The camera never lies".

I too have had my camera show some mistakes that i have made. wall1
Oh well, you live and learn, I guess.

Thank you for the advice on taking photos (to hide the mistakes :twisted:).

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I'm the poor cousin with my Galaxy Exhibit with just a 3 mp camera, but it's better than the digital camera I have that is an old Fuji 1.6 mp

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I'm the poor cousin with my Galaxy Exhibit with just a 3 mp camera, but it's better than the digital camera I have that is an old Fuji 1.6 mp

There is nothing wrong with that camera that you have, so long as it gives you good photos and it is easy to use.

Before the smart-phone that I have now, I had a Samsung flip phone that only had a 1 mp camera in it. I used it for most (if not all) of my earlier photos (which were pretty decent photos, I may add) when I first started here.
So having a 3 mp camera is pretty good for the average photos, unless you feel that you REALLY NEED that extra resolution, because you are a professional photographer (or you are doing some sort of surveillance).

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Here are the engine exhausts.
DSCN5185.jpg

Here are close-up shots of the detailed areas.
DSCN5186.jpg

DSCN5187.jpg

DSCN5188.jpg

Both exhausts are finished.
DSCN5189.jpg

Both exhausts are attached.
DSCN5190.jpg