Detailed Star Destroyer take 2 ....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 2Kamser

2Kamser New Member

hi Flare
    can't dowload part 2, how is part 3 coming along?
    this will be an interesting side project
  2. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

Is there anybody here?

Hello Flare,

I am a newcomer here, and just discover this thread. Terrific!!!!!:thumb:

But nothing more for months, and part 2 is now impossible to download. Did you give it away?:confused:

Are you stil here??:cry:
  3. maddunk

maddunk New Member

Hello Flare,

Impressive model can't wait to see the finished product. Great work.

4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

One day soon, I am going to get back to this and damnwell finish it! Too much real life getting in the way. Still have all the models and such...and the part built test build is also still in good there is no excuse not to do this.

When done, I might try and convert to PDF and release as a single file.
  5. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

Let me just add my voice to the list of people who are waiting with bated breath on this one :D
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

As am I. :twisted:
  7. oriod01

oriod01 Member

Thank you for this...

There are some good Star Destroyer models (very few), but I personally am all about detail (the more the better). As far as Star Wars collectibles go the Star Destroyer is a very under represented piece. So I like many here wait in eager anticipation to see this become completely available. Awesome work, and thank you so very much!
  8. oriod01

oriod01 Member

Insane Reference for this

Found a site with a model (not paper/card) of a Star Destroyer with an insane amount of detail by a German modeler, Klaus Schaftner. This has a lot of good photos of his model that will either be of great help or be crushingly intimidating! :eek: Although I don't think any of us in this hobby would want quite nearly this kind of detail (most of us have real lives). This definitely would provide you with all the reference you should need.

SEBRET Member

Holy Crap! I'd be to afraid to breath around that thing. Truly awesome.
  10. oriod01

oriod01 Member

Pulling this thread out of mothballs and dustbunnies

I fully respect anyone who creates models and then offers them to everyone for free... And I do understand that with other responsibilities and a life outside of ones hobby, and just plain boredom that completing a project like this can be difficult (we can't all be Jan at Aliens Papercraft)... I can be patient and do realize that those of us who only build and don't create are really not entitled to anything... But come on, if you have lost interest, and honestly won't be completing this, then maybe you should offer all your progress and files, the 3D model you are using, and any notes/thoughts on creating this to someone with the interest, time, commitment, and skill to see it through? It is always depressing to see a wonderful model like this to just go up in flames and disappear like smoke on the wind. I don't know if I should just delete the two files I have and just forget about it or what? This seems like a perfect place for people who create to pass unfinished pieces to someone who can and will finish them. It seems to be an unused function of a community like this. Maybe there should be a Section just for that purpose, "The Island Of Misfit Models" wall1
  11. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

While your statement is right in hoping for open community creativity, it is wrong in assuming that data rights fall to all. A designer should not be expected to automatically give up his design, anymore than a scratch builder is expected to create templates off his work. Given the project at hand, a considerable amount of work is going into this. Just like Jan, This person has put more effort into their model than most people do their daily jobs. No one here is entitled to anything. Just because generosity abounds in this hobby, it doesn't mean that not sharing is evil. And most of all, I see no reason why the artist has to give up his work just so another person can add a little "molding" and claim it as there own, which unfortunately would probably happen.
  12. oriod01

oriod01 Member

I don't think I was saying that any designer should be expected to automatically give up on their design. What I am saying is that, as in this case of this designer, when a designer has expressed a loss of interest in a project (and a long list of projects that they now wish to do), they should consider allowing the opportunity for someone else to continue the work that, in all honesty, they are unlikely to ever finish. This is not what is expected, this is just a suggestion. If this is offered in a community such as this, open for a tandem creation it actually has a chance of actually being completed. As with any hobby once a creator/builder expresses a loss of interest (and excitement over something else), the probability of returning to the 'old' project becomes remote at best. You stated, "This person has put more effort into their model than most people do their daily jobs." Bearing this in mind, itwould be a crime if it were never finished, which appears to be the probability here. Again I'm not trying to start trouble just offering a suggestion which could see a great deal of models that die a disgraceful death resurrected from the ashes. An added dimension to this hobby. Just my opinion, nothing to get offended by.
  13. Ghengis Ska

Ghengis Ska New Member

A single PDF of this woudl be very cool.
  14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Whilst I fully understand the viewpoints of the likes of Oriod01, had you yourself ever undertaken such a project, you would perhaps understand a little better why creators of models like this are a little posessive of all their hard work. After more man-hours of effort than I care to consider, I just don't want to see someone else finish it off in a way I wouldn't want it finished. I would rather see it go up in flames.

Lets also consider the fact that this is all done for free, and that nothing is asked in if you never get hte finished product it's not like I ripped you off somehow. If you had paid a deposit, then I would be expected to deliver.

Thirdly...there are personal circumstances that get in the way of how I would like to spend my hobby time. Middle of last year, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and that puts a dampener on your spirits when you have young children. Treatment is ongoing, but you try concentrating on the modelling when all you can think about is the next set of test results. It will get finished when I can and when I feel like doing it, but until then, it won't be passed on unless I really intend to abandon it forever.

As far as a PDF goes, that's a possibility once all is done. No point in doing that until it's all done though.
  15. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your wife, I was wondering why I had not seen any updates from you. My heart goes out to you and I hope that she will be able to be called a survivor.

This reminds me of my step-father who was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and then with lung cancer at age 63. He was given six months of life and he surprised all the medical staff at the V.A. by living to age 89. He did finally passed away from the lung cancer but never took pain meds and did not suffer from that excruciating pain that is associated with the disease. I hope that you wife will make her medical staff wonder as my stepfather's medical staff wondered.

Strength and Honor
  16. oriod01

oriod01 Member

Sincerest apologies...

Well first I wish to offer my sincerest apologies regarding my assumptions FlareBaffled. I hope everything turns out well for you and your family, and hopes for your wife to completely beat this. It is completely understandable if you are unable to complete this project. My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry.

For the benefit of others who do not finish projects they have partially offered because they just decide they don't want to finish... I must counter that their is another perspective. If I offer to mow my neighbors yard for free and I don't finish it, should they have a problem with it, I mean they didn't pay for my hard work? If you post a partial model for others to use, you have obligated yourself to finish it, just as in the above example I obligated myself to finish the free job I started on the neighbors lawn. Building a free model is never free, printer ink, glue, and the hours spent building can be quite costly. Many start printing and building as soon as even a page becomes available. Don't get me wrong, I am speaking generally. There are definite exceptions; cancer of a loved one would definitely be a big one. So, I bow my head in humble apology to FlareBaffled, as all things considered here he is beyond reproach on this.

Although many may protest what I suggest here, I would have even protested this myself in the past. No part of a model should be posted until the model is complete. This is to keep anyone from putting themselves out there and obligating themselves to something that they don't want to be obligated to, whether it be by choice or circumstance.

Again, I can't apologize enough to you, FlareBaffled and hope your wife sends her cancer packing for good. Good luck to you.

humbly yours,
  17. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

"until the model is complete"

Exactly, I agree completely on this. Even if a designer does release parts early, I still wait till the model is finished. This allows assured completion, and definitely more anticipation, which makes the building experience all that more exciting.

Flare, We are all Praying for your wife. I consider that a million times more important than a model and wish you both every ounce hope i can.
  18. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I was saddened to hear of your wife's condition. We're praying for successful completion of her treatment and a complete recovery. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to take care of her and keep the family going too. We used to have a saying around here and it's still true, "Real life comes first." Take good care of you and yours, as I'm sure you are.
  19. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

Ditto Sincerest apologies Flare...

I regret having put some pression for completion of this so waited model.

Life, and battle against cancer and others serious health problems, id ar more important than any thing else, including paper modeling or fans waiting for your incredible work (and the hell to anybody throwing me or you the lightest stone). Worst, with childerns (young?) to take care off, without crying, with a strengh you don't really feel but you must show to them, is very hard to live.

I had such an experience, being 15, when my father died after a 9 months agony, having to take care of my 11 yr sister (who did not know anything), and seeing and understanding made me became nearly a man far too early, I never had real teen-time, but I have eternal love and thanks to my dad and mom, as she worked very hard to allow us to have the best education possible. And I was infinetly proud, to honor my dad and thanks my mom, whan I became a Doctor-Engineer in a quite theoretical matter.

Beside the fact that theoretical physic, quantum theory and cosmology (and thus Science-Fiction), and later personal computers, were real passions, I did not let me any reason to fail: I HAD to be successfull, just for the two of them. The same strengh and rage to defeat this bloody ******* crab was with my mom when she got it in 1990, she silently suffered and fighted with our help, and she won, and won again 4 years later when the crab came back.

She is still alive at 79, having and using a 1.27 diagonal Plasma TV, 4 DVD recorder with HDD she programs, now a second 3 month old Portable PC (16/10 17,3" screen, WiFi, HDMI output and so...) she uses through a High Speed ADSL link to make shopping, manage her bank acounts, video-chat with me when I am away, or through his tactile screen 3G+ mobile phone, and so on.

Even his grand-childrens look incredibly at her.

Master words with the Crab is strength, willness, and fight. What was quite impossible in 1968 for my father is now far more possible: throw the Crab in Hell. Let your wife have the strengh and willness, and fight it with evry cell, gut and bone. Let her have you help, notyour pity, and let us all prey with you two for Nature or God, whatever His Holly Name is, to help her.

And in a few weeks and months, as far as she will be saved, you'll begin a new life, with new hopes, new projects for future, and a new way of seeing everything around and inside you.

Until then, except your children, forget everything else. Just build a happy future, you'll decide later what to do with. Don't stop fighting and preparing future, don't simply seat and wait, or I'll take a plane to USA (even if it is forbidden to me), and even If I have to use a wheeled chair, I come and "kick your ass", if you allow me to do so.

Dont blame your passion for modelling (avoid thinking "without this bloody passion, I had spent more time with my wife and my chidrens" and other stupid bullshit). You passion is not responsible of anything. Just look carefully and see what we have all seen: you are TALENTUOUS, you are PATIENT, you only want what is PERFECT, in a few words you are a GREAT MODELER.

All this is inside you, is a part of you, you are born with this blessed gift (of the Nature or of God, everybody is free to have his own think).let it away for the moment, I am sure that it will come back with the happy days, maybe with other goals, other ideas, it does not matter yet, just fight with your wife.

and if the passion does not come back, manay of us (including me) will be more or less sad not to see your models even more, but many other will be happy by understanding that you have just new passions, and an other way to live your happyness, and we will be happy.

Considering your yet unfinished model, I agree with you and others. A real authors never release un unfinished work, he WANT it to be finished as in his thoughts and plans, it would be better then to throw it in the flame - except if you give it to somebody you really are confident in.

As for releasing the finished model freely, everybodu here will be happy of that (sharing something we have lovely and worfully created with real fans can be the better reward in earth).

But by doing so, you are not protected by any real copyright, and I will hate seeing such a tremendous work downloaded by pirates that sell it (at high prices) on eBay (Uhu, Leo and others had such sad experiences).

One way, I think, would e to sell your copyrighted material, even for small prices for peoples like students haing not many money to spend) on Just have a look at it, you will find tremendous models at very low prices. I bought for exemple the Ken West's XB-70 Valkyrie, F-84G and X-15 for less than 10 Euros each, wich is for me really underprized!!!
    Peaoples who cannot afford more can buy fantastic models, the models are more protected , and for people like me who can easily afford higher prices and estimate that the models (and author) deserve more, it is possible to buy 2, 3, 4.... times the same model without wasting paper!!!!

If I come to the state of creating really good models that people really want, I will certainly do so, at lower price, and as money is not for me a reward for a passion, I will give all I win so to associations like Anti-Cancer association (in memory of my father), Red Cross, AIDS or others, for exemple Lance Armstrong Foundation (I was 3 years ago still a licensed Road Racing Bicycle competitor, so may be I wil meet L.A. ;), or any association helping kids and teens (I thing that US people say "youth"?) victims of Cancer. And THIS will be the better reward I can even receive, a way to make my passion usefull to people who need help.

Ok Flare, as many time, I post a very long message, I just wanted to exchange with you, and I cannot do it eyes-to-eyes. The most important is that you must know that I like many others am with you, of all my energy and preys.

Just promise me one thing, as I can no more take a plane, in a few month if you come for any reason in south-west of France, in Bordeaux, with your healthy wife and the CD with your finished model, you e-mail me before so I can prepare one or more dinners together, with one or more good Bordeaux Wine bottle (after havind closed our car's keys in a safety vault at the next Bank sign1)

I am waiting eagerly for good news of your wife and you and if you allowed me, kiss her for me, and say her again to ass-kick definitly the Crabe!!!
  20. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I am sorry about your wife, Flare.

Truth be told, I was hoping it was simply a case of "I'm burned out, but I'll return when I'm ready to tackle some more of it". But to hear that it's your wife and that it's something like cancer . . .

I would rather you spent as much time with her and your kids as humanly possible. I implore you: don't let us take you away from what really matters here.

Tell your wife that we all wish her the best and speediest recovery possible. My prayers go out to you, man.

Hang in there; you'll always have people to lean on here. :thumb: