Detailed Star Destroyer take 2 ....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

and a millennium falcon (nudge nudge) to stick on the back of the hiding....:mrgreen:
  2. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

How about a Correllian Corvette to put in the docking bay?
  3. better yet... wat about a rebel blockade runner..... lets see once its released , and i print in out on the largest size stock paper or enlarge each page to fit the largest poster board there is... the size of her would be jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

1 miniature Corellian Corvette coming right up :thumb:

I had thought to add these...though the Millenium Falcon would be a bit of a challenge at this scale and wasn't planned ... with it being just the right size to fit in the large clamp that can bee seen in the main hangar.

It's technically the wrong ISD for the classic episode 4 scene...but what the helll!

I suppose I could also make a miniature ISD for when I do the SSD......
  5. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

NOW you're talking!! All we need are a 747 hangar for assembly and display, trainloads of cardboard, glue, posterboard, I-beams for support, plywood to skin it......Man, I can see it now… there we are… on the front, smilin’…...
    (with apologies to Dr Hook and the Medicine Show)
  6. RedChico

RedChico New Member

Btw whats the scale on this master piece?:rolleyes:

And is the hangar bay always opened?
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Yep...the hangar is always open. There are no hangar's all done with force-fields.

SCale far as I can measure it, the scale is about 1:2810. Model length is about 0.6m against a 'real' size of around 1600m.

I didn't go such much for an actual was more a question of deciding about how big I wanted the model and making sure everything is in proportion.
  8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK...Part one has been uploaded and should be going theough moderation etc and be available soon. It should be in the Empire Section ( naturally! )

This will take you through the basic hull hull build to the point where the hull is finally skinned. Detail and superstructure, hangars etc. will come later. The parts for them have not been numbered and no instructions have been done. Mind you... most of them are pretty obvious :p

Now I must get on with the rest of the ship!!! Upper structures are being modelled, and will have to feature some nice detail around the gun batteries and bridge to match what I have done for the hangar....wall1

Still...those who wish can now go build a hull of their very own in whatever colosal size takes their fancy!!!! Use thick card for the the bulkheads in PDO part 1 and PDO part 3 if you want to make it bigger, and it should hold up well.
  9. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

10. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Thank you!! The scene in A New Hope where the Tantive IV is tractored into the Star Destroyer's hanger is one of my favourite memories from childhood. Now it can hang above my computer.
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now I have something to do while I wait for the rest of the ship! :thumb:
  12. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Thanks! Downloading now.
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

I'm looking at the current release, and I'm floored! I can't wait to start! I also took the liberty of re-sizing it to 50", and with the current layout I did it will take 180 pages per Destroyer so far. I think I need more paper. . . :twisted:

I've completed the general "outline" of one of my Destroyers, which I'm going to glue to some foam-core I had laying around. The foam-core is only 1:4" thick, so I'll be applying some cardstock formers to thicken the framework. That's a full-size ShunPop Star Destroyer on the current build:

14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

While MF carries on with his upscaled version, work carries on apace with the build work. The front upper superstructure is in place now, and I have started work on the main upper gun batteries.

I am also tempted to start on the engines before I do the rest of hte superstructure ... the ship just needs them! It's an important detail area, and will need to be right...

Instructions for the bulk of the structures on the main hull are pretty sparse. Building the bits is pretty obvious, so the instructions just give pointers as to what goes where, and clues for part alignment.

More pictures to follow shortly.
  15. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

this is sweet! i gotta build one to fit my mini milenium falcon:D:D:D once its all done someone should do a build with fiber optics and do some lighting!! my mind is overflowing with ideas on this thing!! can't wait to see the rest of it Flarebaffled!!!:thumb:
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Judging by the size of your hand, you'd need a Star Destroyer bigger than mine. :wink:
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Right...not got as much done as I would have liked, but the weather here is hot, humid and really not conducive to working on a papermodel!

Got some stuff done though...and the top layer is starting to take shape nicely:

Put in a reasonable amount of detail in a few areas, but the upper hull here looks to be pretty featureless in the film model, so I left it that way! Greebled up a couple of raised patches on the front, plus put some layered detail on the piece just forward of where the bridge will go.

Currently working on the gun batteries and engine areas.
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Question: Do you have an internal framework for the reactor bulb underneath? I can see that as being the feature on the underside which will receive the most punishment.
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Nope...I made it out of thin card, and at this scale it is pretty robust. The model is currently sitting on an improvised stand, with a proper one to be designed later. I would not recommend letting the model sit on the would end up getting squashed sooner or later!

At the scale you are building....reinforcing it would seem a sensible precaution. A couple of thicker cross bulkheads would do the job.
  20. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Shabbily small update, but due to the pressure of going out to buy a new bike to replace hte daily ride-to-work hack, and covering several hundred miles in the pouring rain this weekend, I was a little the worse for wear!

I did manage to get the superstructure underaway, and have built and attached the main boxes to give the structure some position and size. The greebling will come afterwards! I also unfolded and began work on the gun bateries. These are quite detailed, and are looking pretty good! The barrels will be made from thin wire or stretched plastic sprue ( haven't decided )...WAY too small for paper tubes! I need to finish off the main boxes before I can attach these...but they are an essential detail I wanted to get done. I like th eway they look so far!

Will post some pics when I get in from work today.

On the plus side...I tracked down and bought a rather beautiful Suzuki the pain was worth it!