Detailed Star Destroyer take 2 ....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

What he said......only more! You sure you don't work for ILM? :mrgreen:
  2. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Oh wow... now that's exactly the kind of star destroyer model I've been looking forward to seeing! Great work so far, keep it up! :thumb:
  3. Nosports

Nosports Member

Looks cool .....

And i can't keep my trap shut.....

If there is any chance to make a landingbay in the hangar, and then a Lambda-Shuttle sitting into with dartvader coming in paying a visit ?
    And may be the starting mechanik of the ties ?

Ok this would not be very visible but i would like that very much, just some hidden details to awe the spectators of the model ?

Can you tell us tht overal length of the model ?
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK..update for today:

Just about finished teh underneath part of the model, with just some of the surface greebling to do before I turn her over and start on the upper works.

Main focus for today was the hangar construction. The front hangar is tiny, but I managed to get a bit of detail in there. The detail layers need to be glued in before you fold up the hangar sides... gives a lot more room to work! The picture doesn't show it well...but there is not much I can do about that :p

Then work could begin on the main hangar. First the main shell had to be built so I could be sure it fitted OK:

The first layers of detail could then be put on to start to build up the feel of the thing. I wanted a layered feel to give as much depth as I could to this since it is really the focal point of hte underside.

Next the pipework and side pieces could be built up on top of these, along with the big clamp and the extra bits and pieces that go in there.

Then, with it all in place, the piece could then be glued into the space in the hull, and the rest of the edge pieces on the outside of the hangar glued on. In place, it looks like this:

Lastly, before I put the tools away today, I put in the last of the lower hull lumps, and the detail strips that hide the front seam.With all that done, the underside looks a bit like this:

Overall length of the model is 25" from fornt to back, which makes for a nice size of model without taking up too much room! If someone wanted to upscale it, that could be done... with corresponding over-the-top detailing... but I would have nowhere to put a model that size!!!

Now for a break.....and some greebling.... before I start work on the upper hull

SEBRET Member

I'm loving this model, and its such a super clean build. Keep it up Flare
  6. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

Flare, you should be committed to an asylum, this design is insane!

7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Put me in a straight-jacket, and I'll model with my feet dammit!

I've wanted to do a half-decent Star Destroyer ever since my eldest boy bought the ERTL plastic modelkit, and I couldn't believe how shoddy the detailing was!

But, seriously, anyone could build this with a bit of care and a sharp knife :thumb:
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I'm definitely building this at 2:1 so I can get the amount of detail I want! Actually, I'll be building two: one for my own collection and one for the local theater. They have some movie memorabilia and I think they may want to have one to hang up. I hope you have it finished in time for the new Clone Wars movie. :D
  9. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Fantastic! Your model is a sight! I built one out of a big corrugated cardboard furniture box and cereal box panels about this size way back. I can't wait to build a proper one to hang from the ceiling. Then again just one won't look right. Might need to tandem build a few......
    can't wait.
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Heck yeah. Hey, if you built five then threw in Executor you'd have Darth Vader's "Death Squadron." You'd just need to find an aircraft hangar to house them in. . . .

Now that you mention it, just one won't look right. I think maybe three four-footers in my room would be better! :twisted:
  11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Just how big is your room?! Can I have it when you move out? :mrgreen:
  12. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

WOW!!! GREAT JOB!!

This is a ship that was really needing a finish like yours, you are done an excellent job here FlareBaffled, congrats!!
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Well, maybe my workshop. :oops: Actually, I have a drop-in ceiling, so I can just lift out the panels, thread the wires through, and hang them up instead of tryng to find space on my shelves. A single Star Destroyer just won't look right, and a duo won't be intimidating enough, so three it is. :twisted:

What can I say, I like 'em BIG. For example, right now I'm making a 5'2" tall Mad Cat battlemech which(if my design is good) will actually be fully remote-controlled, with paintball and BB guns for the weapons.
  14. gorwing

gorwing New Member

15. Millenniumfalsehood

Hey Flarebaffled, I just had a great idea: why not do this like Claudio did his Bumblebee and upload the various sections as you complete them? Like, you could upload what you have so far, then when you finish the engines upload them, then the superstructure, bridge, and display stand(if you're doing one). If you don't want to, that's fine. But I really hope you do.:mrgreen:

In the mean-time, I made a plate to go with the base of this awesome model:

16. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Actually...a modular release isn't bd idea. I can package up the basic hull ( minus details ) and release that as a block.

Then release the rest. I don;t want to fragment it into too many parts...but splitting the basic shape and then the detail would mean people could build a hull while I get on with the details.

I will have to type up and order the instructions...but that won't take too long to do.
  17. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Saweet. I cannot wait to get this one!
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Great! I can get the hulls completed while I'm waiting for the rest of the ship! :thumb:
  19. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

yeah!! wow this si gunna be great...someone must make fleets of tie fighters and a mini imperial shuttle for this puppy!:p
  20. Millenniumfalsehood

Well, you *are* the "littlemodeler" and those would be some tiny TIEs. . .

Just sayin' is all. sign1