Detailed Star Destroyer take 2 ....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jul 1, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Not quite the 'tomorrow' update I was hoping for...but still an update!

The trench baseworks completed nicely, with just a minor amount of trimming needed to get a perfect fit. The trench parts were deliberately left slightly long to make sure there was enough material to cover the whole area. The trimming was done on the flat side nearest the aft end of the ship. Easy..and allows for a neat and tidy fit even if the parts are not placed with 100% accuracy.

The lumps and bumps are in place, and as accurately spaced as I could get them.
    The model actually looks quite good like that .... but a greeble strip is provided to cut up and greeble the I made us e of it!
    And with just an hour or so of cutting, glueing and careful placing, during which time Lewis Hamilton won the British Grand Prix, I got a greebled trench I was happy with! In retrospect, the released model will have a lighter texture for the trench...but I am not too worried about htat for now.

The next job was to build the 'edge' that runs around the trench, with a kind of 'lip' to it. I did not want the main hull to just run down over the I set about building this part next. It will serve to cap off the trench and also provide an ancor for the lower edge of hte main hull plates. Some small fillets need to be made to fit on this lip, plus some random greebles ( again )
    The cutouts formed a bit of an awkward area, but I am fairly happy with the end result. The camera shows the joins up very clearly...and they do not show that much in the actual model.... but it was impossible to make the parts with a box that small in the full it had to be sectioned.

This was the second attempt at these parts...the first one was a wakeup call when it came to references. I had a ref from some doubtful sources that showed the front of the lip sticking a long way out, and even more so at the bottom. When I went back to the studio model, I saw the ESB Avenger did not have this...nearly screwed that up...but I spotted it in time and re-did the nose.

Once these bits are all done ( 3 more sides to build plus detail greebles ) it will be time to make the frames for the upper hull and clad it with the base skin. Then will comes the basic layering...followed by the upper hull works and bridge area....though the lower hull MUST be done before I attach that lot!!!

Now for sleep :wave:
  2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Looking good! Thanks for the pics. Most encouraging to see the quality of work you're doing. All I have to do now is figure out where in the world I'll put it. Keep up the good work!
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Very small update for now, since home commitments have eaten into my building time...but the upper layer edge has been finished, and work has been started on the bulk of hte hull. The next layer will be made up of a series of boxes of card, on top of which will go the actual outer skin with textures. There will be some thin card greebles to go above this.

So far, the total kit runs to about 30 pages....but this was never going to be a small model :p

There will be pictures to follow
  4. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Nice progress! I really... really... REALLY like what I see!!! :)

Can't wait to see pics of your finished model! Good job!
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The top layer of boxes are in place, and the hull is starting to take shape a bit more now:

The next phase of construction is to lay the proper textured layer of upper hull on top of the boxes. This will be a 'user cut' piece of material, which would cover over the boxes and attach to the flat edge section to finish off the upper surface. This will blend in from teh little nose piece right along the model and tie it all together. Then the rest of the ship can start to take shape. The builder will need to cut the skins themselves since this is an opportunity to take up any little inaccuracies in the build. If I make the parts a fixed shape, then things may not fit well. It;s quite a large build...and small errors may accumulate as the build progresses.

The approach will be to hold the skin sheet along the 'spine' and mark the corners. The cut to fit. Spare material from this sheet can be used to greeble the edge strips.

Also...while I am doing this...I have to say I am VERY pleased with the structural strength of the build. It is possible to pick the whole ship up by the tip with no sign of bending or sagging. As more layers go is only going to get stronger...but the extra board I put in the core has really paid off. This is no wobbly creation ... it's built tough!!!
  6. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

the emperor will be pleased to see this stardestroyer!:D keep up the great work Flarebaffled!!
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Looking good there... I like the size too, not too big, not too small.

Well, ok, you can never have tooo big, but try telling that to my other half! :D
  8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Wow, what a great model! Don't forget the AC Delco sticker right there on the flat spot of the bow. Yup; it's really there.

I was fortunate enough to see the Star Wars traveling exhibit and the Star Destroyer was there. Another model aficionado and I marveled at all the tank parts pasted all over the model. The coup de grace was the AC Delco sticker on the nose. Of course, I am teasing about you adding the sticker. I know you are doing a serious design.

Nevertheless, there are no correct panel lines for the Star Destroyer despite whatever drawings you may have. Anything you design will be correct because the original builders just scribed lines all over the thing in a haphazard pattern. That wasn't done as a joke, but rather a deliberate technique to catch the light for a flash of surface detail regardless of the angle of the model relative to the lighting as it moved through its motion control sequence.

My friend and I were in awe at the ingenuity of the model builders to incorporate such clever details for filming models.
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Aw man, my keyboard shorted out from the drool. . .

I'd be proud to build this up! I'll probably add detail out the wazoo, just because I'm anal about Star Destroyers. Heck, I'd probably try to mimic the detail on the actual miniature. :rolleyes:
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

It's 8am and I am back on the PC making the upper and lower skins for the hull ... how sad is that!

Want to complete the lower edge, boxes and skin as well tis weekend do I have a complete hull ready for the building of the lower hull details and hangars. Luckily I was able to save some of the mesh work I did in this area before, so there will just be a bit of a re-scaleand some careful blending of the work to make it all fit.

From then on, the build will get interesting!

As far as detailing up the kit goes, I was hoping someone would! I am adding a fair bit of detail as standard, but not so much as to make it unbuildable for those who don;t want to spend the time sticking hundreds of tiny pieces on :p With someting like an ISD, though, there is ALWAYS scope for just one more bit of detail!!!!

Hope to post some more pictures later on today when the hull has a skin on it :wave:
  11. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

How about this twisted thought:
    Will you do the Executor in the same scale after this one?:twisted:
  12. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Executor in the same scale ..... no. My house isn't big enough!!!!!

Anyway..pressing on with the model that does fit in my house, the outer skin has been fabricated and unfolded. The only tricky part of this was fitting it into not too many pieces and getting it onto A4. Took a few goes...but it worked.

Assembly was sweet and easy! Paper tabs were glued on to allow butt joints at the front and rear edges. Care was also taken to match the edge to the cutouts. You can just see the cut here. The part has a thick area here to be cut to an exact fit prior to glueing.

This is the part prior to cutting:

This way, the part can be given a perfect external fit even if the model is a few mm out of true.

You should end up with a neat fit like this:

With the top shell completely covered, you end up with a ship looking like this:

There is a slight wavyness in one place where I got a bit too much PVA on....but it will be hidden when the model is ll done, so I left it. I found it best to use the glue stick for the bulk of hte area, with white glue just around the edges to give a good bond. Otherwise, there was a risk of the glue over wetting the card.

So far...this is where we have got to:

Work is well underway on the lower hull section now, and then the real detail work begins :twisted:
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Flarebaffled, I am in high anticipation of this ship! This has been on my "Gotta do when a decent model of it is released in plastic or paper" list for the LONGEST time, and now that you're back to work on it I am squirming with anticipation. I check my emails so I'll know when you've updated. :thumb:

I'll be gone another week at camp. I can't wait to see what turns up when I get back. :D
  14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The bottom half of the hull is all but done now, and was a pretty quick build after the top half. A few minor tweaks were needed to some of the flap arrangements...but it has all gone remarkably well! I have even written up instructions as I go along.... a first for me!!!!

Once I have the bottom skinned up, I will be starting work on the detailing for the lower hull. I plan to make just the major plates and lumps and bumps ...and then go to work on the hangars. I have already got a good hangar mesh..but that will need simplifying a little since this model is slightly smaller than my original attempt. Won't be a major issue...and will make it easier to build. A real detail hound could add a layer of greebling to the hull plating before adding the bits...but I don't think I am going to do that at this stage. Just re-print the hull skins and get cutting to do that.

So far, I have to say I am pleased with the way it has come together. The hull looks loads better now the trench is outlined top and bottom ... and once I have trimmed the spare off the rear of the hull...I can also start on the engine area. The 'plug' for the engine area will be the last really critical fit for the main hull...might need some fiddling ... dammit..this thing is actually fun to build!
  15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The hull is now complete, and work has begun properly on the lower hull detail. This is a bit 'freeform', since the main pieces will be supplied, and the offcuts from the previos skinning section can be cut up into small squares and used to make surface greebling.

There will be a need to test build the forward hangar first to make sure it fits in the recess provided, and the hull detail pieces will then be laid on once I have it printed and laminated to card where needed. The lower hull, relatively, is a lot less detailed than the upper surface, so it should be easy enough to get done.

Pictures, as always, will follow!
  16. nice build so far :) any chance that this ship will be available for us when she is completed??** licking his imperial chops** drooooolingg:p
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Available...oh yes. Everything here will be released for all to have a go at building.
  18. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

Looking good :thumb:
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Not getting much modelling time during hte week due to work pressure...but weekends are build frenzies :thumb:

Started work on the ventral detail, and the initial large lumps have all been modelled and unfolded. The ship really starts to take shape as the detail goes on:

With the large parts in place, the first layer of detail greebling could be done.

Once this is all done, the next layer of smaller greebles can go over the top of it to build up the desired texture and lumpiness of the hull plating

Next build job is the hangars and the forward detail sections. I will also need to build some kind of a stand to support the model before I can turn her over and start on the upper layers. I might also try and take a pause from construction to type up the instructions and order the initial parts to make a 'part 1' build out of the initial hull.
  20. Millenniumfalsehood

This is looking incredible, Flarebaffled! It seems to be going faster than your previous attempt.