Detailed Star Destroyer take 2 ....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Jul 1, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I threatened to raise it from the ashes of a fried hard-drive, and so I have!
    It's early days yet, but I have begun work on the underpinnings and the main trench around the edge of the ship. I have drawn on lessons learnt from the first try, and have gone for a new approach to designing the core. Basically, I am building up a thin central core with the trench around it. This is covered above and below with a thin sheet which forms the adge of hte trench and boxes in the support strips inside. Then I can build up frames above and below to make the true hull shape. The next task is to make up some layered details for the trench areas and get some unfolding and test building done.

The greebling for the trench is planned in a pretty free-form way. There will be a block of textured area on the kit which can be cut into small strips and squares by the builder, and pretty much glued wherever they want in whatever patterns they want. The basic under-structure will be textured for those who do not want such adetailed build. For those who do...laminate the page onto 1mm thick card, and cut and glue as much as you want. If you want more detail, print an extra page and do more! If you want more 'sticky out bits' fold it double and glue edge on etc. I could spend weeks designing a pattern of greebles and forcing people to follow it ... but why bother! This way, people can do as much or as little as they want and make it look how they think it should go. Good idea ?

Anyway....enough for now. Got work to do!
  2. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Awesome news to hear that you're having another crack at this, I'll be looking forward to seeing how this one goes...

*cough* Backup! *cough*

3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Currently on my HD, and 2 seperate USB sticks!
  4. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Great ideas! I basically came to much the same conclusions wrt greebling for the outland project. I can't wait 'til we get to see some progress pics.
  5. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Awright! It's good you've started again. Looking forward to a finished star destroyer. Go man go!
  6. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK... been juggling the Warhammer builds and the Fireball XL5 with this one, but I made some progress last night. The skeleton and trench parts have now been unfolded and ar eready for print. The internal bracing is all print on paper and laminate to 1mm thickness card, with the remainder printed straight onto thin card. Will post some pics once construction is underway.
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I like your idea to leave the major greebling up to the builder, I found with Claudio's interceptor that even though I'd only planned to add a few details here and there, once I sat down to actually make the addons, I'd end up making more and more stuff to throw on... the more i added to one section, the more I was inspired to add to another...

This is going to be a cool thread to watch, and a fun ship to build when it's done.
  8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK....after 1 very annoying false start that ended up with the trench all wrong and thin and yucky, (I had to throw it away and do it properly! ) the initial 'spine' of the model is done and building work has commenced.

In order to help anyone else building this, I have numbered all the parts, and will actually do some basic instructions. New thing for me....but I am sure people will appreciate it!

All these parts are printed off on thin cardstock, with all the supports and crossmembers being laminated onto thicker card. The trench top and bottom is sloped to support the hulls top and bottom, plus provide a base for the edge detail. First time, I built it flat...and that was going to cause major issues later on. The idea is to build a thick 'core' that the upper and lower ribs can bond to.

Will post some more pics once construction has progressed a bit more!

Oh..yes...and I have made sure the lumps and bumps of the trench are in the right place accdording to the helpful pics I was given in the old nuild thread!
  9. Nosports

Nosports Member

May i suggest to provide a good drawing of the main big plates for anyone who can and want to cut it out of a single big sheet of card ?
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Anyone wanting to do that should dump the Papakura file out in a bmp file and do that themselves. I won't be doing that.

Alternatively, print and cut the pieces out of plain paper, tape together and draw round to form a template for the single sheet. There are ways to get around that for those who want to do it that way.

Personally, I don't see that there is anything much to be gained...and the smaller pieces are much easier to handle when you come to glue the top onto the 'box' sections. None of these pieces will be visible in the finished model.
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

First, the parts were all printed off on thin cardstock, and the work could begin in earnest!

After cutting out the major pieces to form the lower surface of hte central core, things were Stardestroyer shaped..but very flimsy!

First, the outer layer is fixed on

Followed by the first round of internal bracings. Once these are dried, the diagonal braces will go in and the top layer will be fixed on piece by piece. Lastly, the engine section at the rear will go on to provide a solid base for the rear end and to give shape.

Even at this stage, the structure is strong enough to pick up without it flexing.

With the thin card laminated onto 1mm thick card, the whole thing is going to be fairly robust. It will support upper and lower triangular bulkheads to make the hull sections once I have done the edging. Next task is to assemble and fit the trench pieces and greeble them up by cutting bits and pieces out of the supplied greeble piece!

More pictures when I have that assembled.
  12. Nosports

Nosports Member

So im more a mechanical-man on that and ever have some tolerances-problems in mind. Comes of my profession, when you work with steel so you cant flex much ;-) and when the tolerances don't work out, so you are in trouble ;-)

You are right with that, but all this can lead to some more problems whilste building because you need to work very excat so that this assembly-group would be even and straigt.

I were more thinking of going to the mall and asking for some old boxes of corrugated card, maybe refrigators or such, glueing them together to the correct high, then you have a very stiff and good base.
    You also have some less work, because you need only cut out one part, and you have some (possible) fitting-problems less, because its only one part

The pepakura-way, i honestly don't know, because i don' know pepakura.

So i won't say this is bad or wrong, but i just wanted to help.
    This is my experience, when i need a big and even base, its less timeconsuming and less possible errors.

(and if anything sound angry or so, so i hope you can oversee that i am not an english-antiv, so i may often grap for the not so good spells)
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

No problem ... and I can see what you's just for me, there is no way I can print out the larger sheets without paying to have it done. Ultimately, the level of accuracy is really down to the cutters hand, and I find it easier to be exact with smaller shapes. I only have an A3 cutting mat!Bigger shapes would be scissors...and that is worse for me than a sharp knife and steel rule.

Layering up thick card is another way of doing it, and would give good results. The outer perimeter strips would hide the edges and if you cut the cardboard so the corrugations ran at 90 degrees difference for each layer, you would get a very strong end result. Either way, this section forms the core for the rest of the model to be built it is necessary to make it robust.

More pics to follow.... the trench sections are mostly done now, and I am almost ready to start greebling them!
  14. Nosports

Nosports Member

That is my point.
    If you provide a smaller drawing with all neccesary messurements, then every one can make out that shape with pen an ruler.
    Another possibility is to make the groundplate in scale so that the builder can print it, with using the print to more pages i.e. say you scale it to 1:2, so the printer have to go print it on 4 pages, so the the thing is done...
  15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Whatever...I am still not going to spend the time that would take. This is NOT scratchbuilt...this is 3D model converted to PDO file. I am not going to measure up the built object, produce a scale diagram, and expect people to then re-scale it. That is something for those who want to do themselves. I just don't have the time or the inclination. The mesh is built to high tolerances, converted to a PDO and cut up so that ANYONE can build it. The beauty of papermodelling is that people who want to do it that way can play about with the design to their hearts content.

I don't work the way you suggest, and will not be changing!
  16. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

looks good Flarebaffled, lot of us can`t print in large scale , am lucky enough that my biggest print is tabloid size but mostly i use standard letter or legal a3? a4? then laminate it to card stock .
    an scissors sign1 may as well tell me to tear a straight line steel ruler and razor is the only way i can cut straight , same way i mark out my score for folding
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Looks good so far, Flarebaffled! Oh, and go right ahead and design this the way you want. You're the designer, its your decision. :thumb:

Hopefully third time will be the charm! I *need* a Star Destroyer model like this! Randy Cooper's Star Destroyer is the size I want and it incredible to behold, but it is WAY too expensive. A model like this one will be ideal for me! :mrgreen:
  18. Nosports

Nosports Member

You took the words right out of my mounth....

Go ahed keep on treking... ups wrong movie
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Greebling along the trench is all done, and looks pretty good. The 'greebles' in the kit will be a simple block of the same texture used to make the bulk of the trench. Cut it into assorted blocks, strips etc. and glue it on to make it look good. I laminated it onto a selection of card scraps from my 'scrap pile' and latered up some bits too to give a more lumpy feel!

Next job was too start on the upper nad lower edges of the trench. In a plastic kit, you could just stick on an angled piece of styrene....but that is not an option here! I ended up making a very thin it actually is...wrapping a box around a piece of 1mm card. A strip about 4mm wide is gives a nice edge. I need to make a load of triangular fillets and some spare greebles to put in a few of the spaces between the fillets...then on to the main hull :)

Got to take some more pictures expect a bigger update tomorrow!
  20. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

Looking forward to it :)