Destroyed Locomotive collection

dmb3006

:cool: Hi everyone,we have been doing some up grades to our home.The bath room on the 1st floor was being remodeled.the tub shower had been removed for replacement leaving the hole the pipes and drain to the soil pipe exposed.Our cat went into the basement train room.I had almost all of my NYC lighting stripe diesels and all of my steam engines on a high shelf.Sassy knocked it off of its support They could not be any more damaged if I had beat them with a hammer.The dollar loss is bad enough;but so many of the engines are no longer available in lighting stripe.Sad day.

Ray Marinaccio

That is sad to hear.
What makes were they? If replacement parts can be found could some be rebuilt?
I have pieced back together some bad wrecks before. How bad are they.

TrainClown

I have the same problem with my cats. They just like to knock stuff down. I'm not sure how this fits into the genetic make up of the animal or how this fits into their natural function. What did they do before they became domesticated? Knock rocks down hills to watch them roll down?? Fortunately, when my cats have attacked my trains there has been no damage. But you should see the rest of the house!

TrainClown

MCL_RDG

I am...

...sorry to hear this. But yet, those who have cats and other predatory animals, well- you know they are just waiting for the moment to strike. I watched as my friends 15lb cat leaped from the floor onto his 58" high N-Scale layout (which is always sheltered from access by the cat) when his back was turned for just a "moment". Near disaster. Even if there was no malicious intent, a perch to rest on and observe all below must be dutiful cleared of any obstruction just in case there's a dust bunny that needs to be pounced upon by your cat. Even a tail swagger while relaxing in the warmth of the sun can lay wreck to all within the rdius of the striking tail.

I reccommend "1001 Ways To Wok a Cat". :rolleyes:

Mark
Just kidding of course. :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
That's a real pity and alway a threat when you have animals around. They don't know a $1000 vase from a fifty-cent bowl, but they always seem to pick the vase to knock over. :rolleyes:

Listen to what Ray says. I've seen some of his restoration work and all is not lost.

We don't have any animals in the house, but we do have a couple of very inquisitive and active grandkids, so I still keep my locos and rolling stock in a steel mechanic's tool cabinet. No, no, it's not for them, that's to keep me from knocking my locos off a shelf.:eek::D

shaygetz

I'm with Ray, you'll find body shells offered often on eBay and retrofitting different brands isn't too difficult. I did one for a freind recently by placing a Rivarossi E8 shell on a P2K mechanism.

As for the cat...

Attachments

• gangster.gif
    gangster.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 57

babydot94513

Member in training
Dogs are better! Mindful I am a wee bit prejudice towards canines than useless tabbies who caused this wanton destruction<g>

Are you interested in an English Setter field dog? hehehe

MilesWestern

I knida hate to say this...but do you have any pictures of this horrible accident? Could you take pictures of the damaged locos for the GASP!-factor?

dmb3006

Thanks for the kind remarks.I looked this evening at my locomotives.2 BACH.4-8-4 Niagara,! IHC Hudson.1 IHC 4-8-2. 2 Mantua 4-6-2,1 0-6-0 shop Goat Atlas RS11,RS 1,FM H16-44,KATO RS2,Life Like FM C Liner (2) FM ERIE Built 2 AB 2 SW8's2 GP7's,Inter mt. F7A,Athern PA A&B Thomas & James Sir Top of Hat & Harold the helocoper.Still looking Thank God My Broadway LTD 4-8-4 is still on lay a way.

MilesWestern

I can't believe a cat could do this...:mad: It's amazingly horrible! :eek: I wish it haden't happened to you, and may it not happen to anyone else in the future for this is a hard lesson in cat-tactics.:cry: May you have a happy railroading future and make sure the cat is elsewhere when you decide to open to door to descend into the basement! I really hope you can repair and restore your collection to better than it's former glory!
:)

Ray Marinaccio

That's a nice list of locos David. It's a shame but what can one do.
You should be able to get the Atlas, Athearn and Kato parts.
I am not sure what Bachmann and IHC or Intermountain's policy on parts are , but you might call them and find out.
The Mantua parts may be found through Model Power or swap meets.
The Life/Like parts should be available from Walthers as soon as they get them reorginized.
I guess it all depends on how much time you want to invest in them too.
You may find someone that will buy the lot for parts :rolleyes: and recoupe some of your money.

Conrail

Now you know why I don't like cat's! :D Really though, thats just about the one thing you hope never happens. I know where you are comming from though. My sister swooped up all of my grandfathers old HO equipement after he passed. It eventually found it's way to me... but not until after it sat in her flooded basement for 3-4 months. Just about a total loss. :( I am repairing them as I can but most are just complete wrecks with rusted up motors, fungus, stains on the paint..etc. Just ashame when something like this happens....

Gil Finn

Can you collect on your home owners insurances?

3 years next month after 6 months in store, my trains were hit by a flood twice in a week, almost every thing form 1913 Lionel Standard gauge entire layout to new TMCC engines and control stuff.

ddavidv

Same thought I had...check with your homeowner's insurance. May not meet your deductible, or go much over, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Should not affect your rates. Consult with your agent.

ross31r

Bachmann are quite nice actually, more than willing to send spares but if they are seriously written off (like the one in the picture) probably worth scrapping them and getting some undec versions or swap meet jobbies to replace them and painting them up into light ing stripe livery

Ouch! What a shame!

I feel your pain, a little. All my childhood trains recently came back to me on Mom's latest trip... For years I've been asking after them, and only now has she cleared enough junk out of the basement to get to them.

The results weren't pretty. The trains have obviously been subjected to moisture and all metal parts are pretty much rusted to each other. From the smell, I'm guessing at least some of this moisture is courtesy of the family cats (grrrrr.).

Mind you, I think it's less of a loss than yours. We're talking late 70's era Bachmann, Athearn and Tyco stuff. Not precisely high-end, and mostly not appropriate for my current layout. It just cheeses me off to see it ruined - if nothing else, it would have been good fodder for my son to get his feet wet with little worry about damage or breakage...

I'm planning to take a couple steam locos, 'weather' them even more than they are already, and put them at the bottom of a gorge next to a trestle - too far down to even drag out for salvage value, and a warning to engineers who go to fast on curvy trestles... Other than that, a total loss.

Tileguy

I hope your homeowners insurance will at least cover some of the dollar value lost.
Research the value of what you had and turn in a list of loss including pictures and valuations (ebay completed auctions are just 1 example for a quick summation of average selling price)
It wont replace them, but it wont hurt to get some funds to begin again.
Sorry to hear of the mishap :(