Designing the Su-7, Su-9, Su-17, Su-22 and MiG-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paragon

Apr 22, 2007
Greenville NC, USA
www.freewebs.com
Please, please, please, don't drop the YF-23 lower on the list. It's a much desired model, at least by me! And another one I'd like to suggest is the MIG-19. I haven't found a model of it yet.

Tom Williams, Jr.

You have my word, as soon as the Hustler is done, the Black Widow is next.

Also, I actually did make a MiG-19...I just never uploaded it. Look for it in the War | Aviation | Cold War section soon.

Renaud

Feb 12, 2004
Lille, northern France
English Electric Canberra

I was not interested in the English Electric Canberra especially, I wanted only to make sure that any people here, and especially Paragon of course, should be able to manage with cyrillic letters, in order to get the drawings required.

here are the steps for getting the drawings of the Mig, for example.

Attachments

• airwar.ru (1).jpg
    airwar.ru (1).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 214
  • airwar.ru (2).jpg
    airwar.ru (2).jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 208
  • airwar.ru (3).jpg
    airwar.ru (3).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 212

edi

Jun 12, 2007
Bavaria/Germany
Hello Paragon,

lot of thanks for the Lightning; it`s very good looking and my Saturday afternoon is occupied now....
Might it be possible for scaling to paint some cm or inches to one of the sheets,
would be great

Thanks again

Edi

Paragon

Apr 22, 2007
Greenville NC, USA
www.freewebs.com
I suppose it might Edi: Just for reference, the resolution is 150 pixels per inch, so if you want to measure out 150 pixels, you can get it yourself. I'll also add the untextured version soon, so you can simply color it on the computer instead of painting it if you want.

Renaud: Thanks, I understand now, and that should be very useful for the rest of my models. I kept trying to figure out where the line drawings were and couldn't.

Meanwhile, a little news; Last night I began work on my next model. After staring at the Hustler 4-views for a little bit, I decided I didn't want to tackle it just yet, so I bumped it down the list one spot. Don't worry, it is next. Instead, I got to work on the YF-23. This one is a little difficult for me, because there aren't enough 4-view drawings of it; all I could find were 3-views, none of the bottom. The good news is that I have two copies of the Italieri 1/72 YF-23 plastic model (my dog chewed up the first one), so I do know what the bottom looks like. I've printed out the first prototype, which, like the J-13 is too small. Something about the shape of stealth fighter wings makes them take up too much room to keep my models of them down to two sheets and still in the same size (though not scale) as the rest of the models I've made. I'll begin work on the prototype in a few minutes after I finish my breakfast and make sure the next DVD is in the player (I work at a TV station), to look for problems with my design. I'm almost positive the first prototype will be terrible, the shapes of this fighter make it very difficult to replicate in three dimensions with only Photoshop. With other designs like the Lightning, I know how to make the shapes easily, a cylinder is simple to do from a 4-view. The odd tapered shape of the Black Widow's nose, and the intakes and engines however are very different. I have to make a lot of guesses with my drawings. I did the same with the J-13, which oddly enough didn't require as much redesign as I expected after the initial design, but I still had to build four different versions of the nose before I was satisfied that I did it right; the YF-23 promises to be more difficult.

Like I said, I only had 3-views of the YF-23, and only one of them was a line drawing. What some of you may or may not know is that part of the reason I can stamp these models out so fast is because I actually use the line drawings in the models. Many times, the lines on the models are actually slightly modified copies of the line drawings I always like to have so much. The size of the one good drawing I have of the YF-23 is rather small and, as I stated before, does not include the bottom. Right now, I have a mix of my own drawings and the line drawings for the prototype, but I think I'll ultimately have to redraw all of the parts I've taken from the drawing, to keep most of the model looking consistent. The resolution of the blow-up drawings isn't very good either.

Basically, expect this model to take at least another day or two (depending on how much free time I have).

Just to let you all know, these are the kits I have drawn completely by hand:
MiG-21
F-86
Tornado
J-13

Su-22 - Fuselage is drawn by hand, wings and stabilizers are line drawings.

t.l.williamsjr

Feb 8, 2004
Thank you! I still believe that the YF-22 only won the flyoff because Lockheed had the F-22 fire a missile during the competition. No guidance or anything, basically a dumb rocket, but the evaluation team was overly impressed. At least that's the way I heard it.

Tom W.

Paragon

Apr 22, 2007
Greenville NC, USA
www.freewebs.com
Well, that depends on what you want. The F-22 is probably more manueverable than the YF-23, because of it's thrust-vectoring, but the YF-23 was a lot faster and more stealthy. Its really a shame the Air Force couldn't afford both, they each have their advantages.

Anyway, the model is complete, and Cgutzmer should be uploading it any time now. Both a dark grey and uncolored version should be available.

edi

Jun 12, 2007
Bavaria/Germany
downloads

a lot of Paragon`s designs are downloadable in the download section now, among the white versions and the wonderfull MiG19:thumb:announce1

Have a lot of thanks Paragon!

BTW: I vote for Canberra and Vulcan

Paragon

Apr 22, 2007
Greenville NC, USA
www.freewebs.com
Just so you all know, I haven't really built the entire MiG-19 model yet, so let me know if there are any problems with it.

I've been working on some other things recently instead of designing, including working on some Battlestar Galactica models. I'll start work on the B-58 sometime soon, perhaps tonight.

Dyna-Soar

Jun 13, 2005
Alabama
The first pic is a bit blurry:
YF-23II.jpg

YF-23.jpg

Paragon

Apr 22, 2007
Greenville NC, USA
www.freewebs.com
Heh, those images made me do a double-take, I was wondering "wait, when did I post images of that model?" Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. I hope it wasn't too difficult to figure out without instructions, and I hope youd didn't have any serious fitting issues. If you did, please let me know and I can make some changes to the model. One area in particular makes me wonder: did you have any trouble with the back of the nose where it attaches between the engines? I think I need to change that part a little.

Meanwhile, I completed the B-58 prototype last night. It actually went together nearly perfectly. The nose needs a little work, and the fins for the bomb pod, as well as the connectors for the bomb pod and maybe the outer engines could be added, but otherwise it looks great. I built the prototype in such a way that the bomb pod is detatchable...we'll see if I can include that in the final kit. It doesn't fly very well, I think I made the engines too heavy, but I don't really think many people plan on throwing this model around, right?

Anyway, I still haven't recieved that digital camera that I was expecting for my birthday, but when I do I'll be sure to start posting pictures. I'll show you my build of the YF-23 if you want to compare too.

Expect a finished B-58 tonight, tomorrow at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.