Designing the Su-7, Su-9, Su-17, Su-22 and MiG-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paragon

That last image was exactly what I needed, thank you.

Also, I've got two more aircraft I'd like to add to the list. Like the Ferret, these fighters never existed. Both are designated F-19, one is called the Aurora, the other is the Specter. Each was designed by a model company (Testors/Italeri the Specter, Monogram the Aurora), before the F-117 was made public, so they are both very innacurate, but I think they're cool. The biggest problem is that, while both kits sold very well, and there are plenty of images of them available, none of those are line-drawings, and therefore difficult for me to use. If anyone knows where I can find 3-view images, even if they're not line drawings, please let me know.

Meanwhile, I still haven't begun on the F-105 yet. I anticipate a bit of a problem when it comes to the intakes as well. My models tend to have flat wings that are simply two sides glued together. The F-105's intakes are built into the wing root, meaning the intakes need to be three dimensional. We'll see what happens, I do have a few ideas.

The good news is that the rest of the F-105 should be particularly easy to design. The TIFF images I downloaded from one of those links one of you generously provided are huge, meaning the lines on this model should be crisp, unlike the majority of my models so far. It should be a pleasure to build the finished model (assuming I get those intakes sorted out).

I expect to release three versions: Camo, Plain Metal, and Thunderbirds.

Edi: Thank you for the suggestions! It seems like for every one model I make another two are added to the list.

I wasn't going to design the F-104 actually, because there is already a model of it in a very similar scale available for free at Kancho's Paper Wings - downloadable Cardmodels! If you really want it, I can design it though. It would probably be slightly easier to build.

Paragon

I know, I usually use 96, but because the TIFF images I'm using for the Thunderchief are so large, I figured I'd use a higher resolution. Filesize will be through the roof.

Paragon

Here are some images!

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 10

Paragon

CGutzmer has the three versions of the F-105, one is uncolored, one is regular colors, and one is the "Wild Weasel III" variant.

Next up is the U-2, simply because I want to do it. :p Expect the U-2B, and U-2R

edi

great news:D
your solution with the air-intakes looks okay, I´m excited how it will work.
I`ll built the camo Wild Weasel version.....
you will get a feedback and pictures

U-2, you fullfill a wish and a dream of mine to build this exotic and mysterious
plane, will stop allother things sign1

Paragon

I accidentally combined the fuel pods of the U-2R and the nose of the U-2B. It'll be easy to fix.

Anyway, she glides like a dream.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 10

Paladin

Some of Paragons Finest!!

Here are two of my models. I like to print them out smaller than normal, to conserve cardstock, and to save space on my shelves for all my models.

Thanks Paragon for all your work. You keep me addicted to these things:thumb: :twisted:

Attachments

• DSCN1294.jpg
    DSCN1294.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1297.jpg
    DSCN1297.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1298.jpg
    DSCN1298.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 11

Paragon

Thank you so much for posting those images Paladin! Every time someone does that, it makes the whole thing worthwhile! Those are excellent looking builds too, especially at that scale. The MiG-37 looks great with the edges colored too (I haven't built the black one myself, just the grey and "Flanker" versions). Just out of curiosity, how many of my models have you built total? Would you mind sharing images of some of the others?

Anyway, I just got back from a date, so no progress on the U-2 since my last post, but I'm about to get right back to work on it. I still have to design the fuel pods for the U-2B, and I'm also going to re-work the nose and fuel pod tips, I'm not very pleased with them.

So, a conservative estimate: the parts will be done in...an hour and a half. After that it's just coloring them, zipping them, and sending them to CGutzmer. I may decide to add a bit to the intakes, as well as a third sheet with an extra layer to glue in the wings to make them a little more sturdy. They're actually not as flimsy now as I originally expected they would be, but I'm still going to add a little extra support.

The most obvious color scheme for the U-2 is black, but I was curious, besides NASA testbeds, were U-2s ever colored in any other way?

Paladin

So far just those two, but I have the Su-22, and L-39 waiting in the wings (I know, I very bad pun). Anyway. I still intend on coloring the edges of the J-13. I often use water color paints for that. The MiG-37 was easy, I just use a fine tip black marker. You have made so many planes lately, I can't keep up. Beside, I just finished a model I designed of the Boeing Bird of Prey, and should have it posted in the downloads section in the next day or two.
Here's a couple of pix of my model.

Attachments

• DSCN1291.jpg
    DSCN1291.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 11
  • FSCN1293.jpg
    FSCN1293.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 10

Paragon

Nothing: Yeah, I don't really think so either. Right now I intend to make three simple variants in color. One will be the standard black with lighter grey lines, one will be a very dark grey with black lines, and one will be a lighter grey with black lines. The kit will also include the fuel pods and noses to build either the U-2B or U-2R.

Paladin: That Bird of Prey looks great, can't wait to build it!

Anyway, back to work, I know you all want me to hurry up!

One other small tip: white edges on grey models are annoying as hell. Prismacolor happens to make grey markers that do an excellent job making those white edges go away. You can typically buy them individually at art stores for about $3-4. I personally suggest Cool Grey 90%. Sharpie also makes a grey sharpie which works equally well, unfortunately, they don't sell those markers individually, and I've only seen it included in a 29-pack.

edi

Today, my son visits me, and so I have had the chance to use MY camera:mrgreen:

The First of Paragon`s I built was the red MIG-15 (btw MIG-15 and MIG-17 are differencing also in their dimensions and in the number of wing air-streams)
I saw it, I loved it and I built it, hmm but ink was running low, so its only a easy red version, certainly I`ll do it again

The second was the MIg-21 in Romanian colours I saw often landing in Timesoara Airport.

The third was the Lightning, roll of thunder, a very impressive plane.

In my to-do-list:
MIG-19 ( I try to change it to a North-Vietnamesian Version...)
SU-7
SU-9
MIG-23
IAR-99
etc.........

BTW: The ship isn`t a carrier, only a helping hand for the MIGssign1

Attachments

• am_0001.jpg
    am_0001.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 14
  • am_0002.jpg
    am_0002.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 18

Paragon

Very nice looking models Edi, thank you for sharing! Are there any other MiGs I haven't made yet that you'd like to see?

(Time to build a finished U-2R on my new cutting mat!)

Status
Not open for further replies.