Designing the De Havailland Comet-4

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Lex, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

No need to thank us sir!!! Besides, nobody can deny how stunning your work is!!! :-D

Hmmmm... that's an interesting info about the P-2 Neptune there...
  2. knife

knife Member

I don't begrudge Lex for not wanting to do a P-2 because of political feelings (or political sensibilities). He's done a wonderful design on a subject not seen before. If you commission an artist he must paint what you want. But if he gives you a painting for free--it's what he wanted to paint. I salute to free spirit artist within Lex.
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Okay so... let me make this a bit clear... Yesterday I had this talk on the Chinese cardmodel group, trying to come up with a subject on my next design, and I casually quoted Tim's message suggesting a P-2, saying "why not". --And there it goes, most of them were very nice guys but "negative" was the best word I could use to describe the reaction back then... Nearly lost my temper and had a row with one them. Got off the IM in a bad mood and wrote the last post. Tim, I can understand your desire for the model, but I beg your understanding of the situation on my side... If you wish to discuss this matter further please do so by PM :D
  4. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Hmmm....I wonder if models of Enola Gay are popular in Japan? My guess is not.
  5. xadow

xadow Member

6. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Let your friends know that while we can certainly understand their frustration over how Taiwan is using the aircraft, that doesn't make it a bad plane. Personally, I would dearly love to see one designed. One of my mother and father's best friends (they call them their honorary parents) was the wife of a VO-67 member in Vietnam. Her husband was the copilot of one of the Neptunes used to drop listening devices in the jungle to protect friendly forces. Sadly, his crew crashed in some adverse conditions. She's in one of the pictures here:
    Here are a few other links:

Regardless, I hope somebody does the Neptune!

7. looker

looker Member

noughty neptoons

Ahh - something else it shouldn't really have been doing either.:D

Thump, thump, thump it titty thump
  8. Some people just can't disagree without getting angry. This is why the world is in the fix it is in. I withdrew my post for that reason. I neither wanted to offend Lex nor the rest of the modeling community as it is a mixed group from many nations. I find it a sad testimony among humans who can't agree to disagree without taking offense. Trust me, there are 5 billion people on this earth and there will always be some who disagree with our point f view. Plenty of room to take offense. I find it a waste of time.

To compare the role of the P-2 to that of the Enola Gay is absurd to say the least. The P-2 has never been an offensive weapon. I flew it for over a thousand hours and we watched Chinese ship movements too as well as Russian and North Korea.

In Taiwan It is being used for surviellance only,not as an offensive weapon. But if you take offense at that that is your choice to do so. Nobody trusts anoybody anymore which is why people spy on one another in the first place. The Chineses have many spy sattalites watching our every move yet I have many Communist models and as you know relations between our countries have been strained for many years. Yet that doesn't keep me from admiring their contricbution to Aeronautics and space.

Lex, I am sorry if my curiosity got you into trouble or cauesed you to get angry. I meant you no disrespect. I acknowledged your right to design whatever you want but was only expressing curiosity as to the reason why "Not". I admire your designs and feel you do great work. When we find common grounds upon which to "Build" relationships it seems foolish to tear it down over such things as these.

So as not to fire anyone else up I took it down. Lex, again, I aplolgize
  9. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

OK folks. People are certainly entitled to their opinions on all sides. We're walking a fine line here. What's done is done. It's time to bring this thread back on track. Thank you.
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks guys, the last time I checked in the group, the guy from last time had been kicked out... It's only a small incident, but I'm fully aware that like the relation between Japan and Russia, our relation with Taiwan had set its root in history and can't be resolved easily... But anyway, politics is beyond the scope of hobbies isn't it? --We still build Yamatos and Bismarcks, why not :D I apologize for bringing up this whole mess, so let's forget about it and go back to making some models! ;)

11. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Do you fancy designing a RAF AEW version of the nimrod?
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Sorry Paul, a Nimrod conversion would mean a lot of work from the current model and as of now I don't have really time for that... --But wait, why not talk Paragon into doing it? ;)

P: Still going , I'm still working on the 4C mark scheme, just to mention... :D
  13. 757rol

757rol New Member

Hello I'm really impressed of the wonderful craftmanship on building this excellent Kit, I don't know how I can convert it to a Comet 1A version, but it could be a fun project as well.

Thanks for this wonderful model

Rol :thumb:
  14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

You'll need at least round windows for that :) the Comet 1 is quite different from the later variant so if you are a rivet-counter then there would be a lot of work ahead... just a suggestion, good luck!
  15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Comet 1A

Not being a rivet counter, I'm just taking a few sections out of the forward fuselage, and slapping this colour scheme on it...

Just getting started on it though so will take a while.

16. 757rol

757rol New Member

Hallo Lex:

Thanks for the Tip, I'll plan to do in near future, but at the moment I'm very Happy with this one.

Thanks for sharing

17. Cybermac

Cybermac Member

I must say... I am amazed! A BIG piece of good job!

18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

--Also the 4C repaint is on its way...!
  19. Nimrod

Do you have plans or interest in doing this project? I for one would love to see the RAF version. I should get to the Comet in Feb maybe Mar, but who knows. Also do you have a track on a P-3 Orion aka the Lockheed Electra.:thumb:

PS. Love the Comet THNX!!!!!!!!!!
  20. cygielski

cygielski Member