Designing the De Havailland Comet-4

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Lex, Dec 30, 2007.

1. redhorse

redhorse Member

That's a really good looking model Lex. I may not be the first to build it, but I'm going to do it. Thanks making the download available!

I hope you get feeling better pretty quick, hope it's just stress from all the time zone and city switching you've done lately. It knocks me out every time I move and that's why I don't ever want to leave TX now... sign1
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

thanks got the support guys!

>>Rick, I did promise a 4C in BOAC marking but other things at hand kept me from doing it right now... I promise it will be done!

>>Hans / Redhorse, I'm feeling way better now, thanks to all the kind words.

--...And WOW that's some very swift work Nothing!!!!! This build deserves its own build thread :D
  3. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

No need to thank us sir!!! :-D
  4. Lex, fantastic job. and a cover to boot. What-a-guy!!!

At first I thought why 100 scale, then I remembered you said that you decided that earlier. Then I looked around my office and my limited space and realized, I have to scale down if I want to build more models. So, now I am very happy to announce that I love the 1-100 and it will fit perfectly in my office. Besides if I ever wnat it larger I suppose the resolution is good enough to blow it up to 1-72 if I wanted.

Great job, I will get on it right after my surgery. I will have a year to recover and I will need something to do in the meantime.

Thanks Lex this is a keeper.

Have you ever thought of doing the P-2? It is very much in need and there are plenty of old P-2 flyers around who would love to have this bird in their collection. I'm one of them. Flew as crew in a P-2 back in 66 (that's 1966 for all you smartallecks).
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Haha, thanks and... all of you worried about resolution... This is a completely (well almost!) vector document :D So you'll be able to scale to 1:1 if you wish!!

P: For the 1:100 scale issue... You know we normally don't have that much space in China... right? ;)
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

got the next section done. Lex you did a fine job on the internal formers. really going together well. i thought of starting a build thread but i just whanted to build this without worring about taking pics every step. im sure someone else will do one. the only "complaint" i have is the windows being a dark blue kinda blend into the black and get lost.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Maybe something to do with the CMYK printer colours... But if you said that then I'll definitely change it tonight! Keep going!
  8. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Hi Lex

1) Thanks for taking the time and effort to produce such a quality model.

2) Thanks for making it available for free download.

3) The "L Shaped Joining Pieces", the ones for joining fuselage sections. Are they modeled in 3D and unfold or do you add them with a drawing/photo editor?

Cheers JTF
  9. Lex, I noticed the same thing on the windows. I was going to change it myself but if you are addressing it I will wait for the revision. Since the windows were the whole reason the things crashed, I thought they should be a light blue and stand out more. How hard would it be to use that other guy's method of using a photo of the window with a person behind it to ass realism? maybe not every seat but most
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks for the comments:

>>JTF, the joining strips were made with a very handy function "displace curves" in Rhino, that displaces a curve by a set amount. I did it after I unfolded the model.

>>Tim, the modified version is on its way. As for transparent windows... well my skill is limited so I have to leave that for you guys to express your imaginations in Photoshop! :D
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

New file uploaded, see previous post for link ^^
  12. Hey lex, it just dawned on me , the windows are supposed to be square. That was the reason they crashed , because the corners caused fracuter point in the fuselage. Is this a later design where they corrected the problem?
  13. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

no this is the b version. this version corected the earlier flaws. he has it in the history part of the inst.
  14. I decided this was worthy of glossy paper so I gave it a go. Wow. The graphics are so much more vivid. I have not used glossy for awhile so this is going to be a great additon to my aviation group. I printed it out both ways and I will use the plain stock for my practice run. But I can see this one will be prominent in my collection.

Thanks Lex, you worked hard on this and I for one and very grateful.

15. By the way, can I interest you in the P-2??? I have mentioned this before but never got a response. Really, with your talent this would be another must have to many of us old timers who flew her during the cold war years. She has a long illustrious history. When you see film footage of the Blockaid in 62 (i think) If you look closely you will see the P-2 flying Sub Search missions. Please, tell me you will at least consider it? I already have a lot of research I can give you if you decide to do it.
  16. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Great work as always!!! :-D

Another potential build for the Free Models 4 contest!!! :twisted:
  17. morewings

morewings New Member

Quality civil liner model!

Thanks for producing such a fine model and for making the download available!
    I announced the downloadlink in german -Forum.
  18. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Very impressive looking model, I definitely need to build this one.
  19. I think this is worthy of a nice stand with placard don't you agree???
  20. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Hans, Roman, Paragon: Thank you for your support!

Tim, on the P-2 Neptune, I really don't like to mention but the problem here is that it's been used by Taiwan to spy on mainland China so I have no idea of what my fellow modelers would say if I designed a model of the Neptune... --Maybe another designer, but not likely to be me :D Sorry about that... But for the stand... yes I'm working on that, and may be released with the 4C re-colour.