Designing the De Havailland Comet-4

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Lex, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Tim, this will be a free release but I am not expecting any beta tests... Everyone would be able to build it (and make repaints etc) when it's made available.

And Steve, I agree, the nose section is what drew me to designing this in the first place... ;)
  2. Arjun

Arjun Member

You seem to have solved a few puzzles I am still working on. How do you get the wings and tail fins to blend with the fuselage? And get the tailplane to stay straight?
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Arjun, they are not blended, they are separate surfaces, Rhino has a "cut" function and I used that to use the fuselage to cut the wingroot, removing the bit inside the fuselage. I'm not sure if you can do this in Blender, and I can not offer any advice on that ^_^
  4. I can't wait for the finished product. I will put it on the top of my build list. I have been wanting one of these for my collection for years.
  5. bclemens

bclemens Member

I'm looking forward to this one, Lex!
  6. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

lex this project realy nice one (well like all your project :) )

mybe u culd help me send me some info about how u make your tail (my only progrem on my c47 bla bla bla u know the all story )
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks Yaniv, well the DH Comet's tail really is a simple one, since there is no blending into the fuselage. But if you want the file I'd be happy to send it to you ^^
  8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

please send it to my mail

u have it right :p?
  9. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Can't wait to see this one built up!
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Just added some panel lines, wingtip fueltank and the landing gears yesterday, also spent ages simplifing that naughty wingroot a bit. Now open to suggestions on marking schemes for 4C variant.

(Hopefully) available markings
    Comet 4B, BEA Markings
    Comet 4C, BOAC Markings and else... suggestions? :D

--Please bring relevant reference pics for your suggestion! ;) Lex is not entirely furnished in the reference department...
  11. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

woa, what a nice work you done Lex !
    Can't wait to see more. And you did a great work where the wing meet the body.

12. I don't know why I was unable to find this thread before. I thought it disappeared. Glad to see it is still here. I hope the project hasn't stalled. What is the current status?
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Tim: Only the internal formers are left, after that it'll be ready to be unfolded and coloured, I'll post progress as more work is being done ^^
  14. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Avro liner?

Hey Lex,

What would it take to get you to make a variation into the Avro Jetliner (another of the never-flew aircraft from Avro). I've got that one on my to do list for someday. Or perhaps you'd be willing to share your mesh?

Attached Files:

15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I never knew the Jetliner before, but that sure looks beautiful... But I must say it'll be difficult to modify the Comet into this aircraft since extensive changes are needed on all major parts, that it'll be rather easier for some designer to design one from scratch...

I am going to release a lined version of the model, but about the 3D file itself, I don't think a lot of other programs can read it (unless of course you have Rhino yourself :D) and Rhino does a pretty crap job exporting polygon meshes...
  16. How's it coming so far??? :) :) :)
  17. lriera

lriera Member

It is looking very good, Lex. Keep showing, please.
  18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Sorry not much progress so far, there's something called "revision" that needs to be dealt with first... The truth is I'm having my finals in June and I plan to finish this before revision starts, but now that seems impossible... But still I'll try my best to make this available asap ^^
  19. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Slight update: All details are filled in, only the internal support and paint schemes are left before the grand unfolding begins. The scale is decided to be 1/100 (I admit I like deciding the scale at the last minute...), making the final model 34cm in length, hope everyone's happy with that ^^
  20. Very good, That makes it a perfect size. Plus the resolution should allow for resizing up to 1/72 for those who like standard sizing. I think 1/100 is perfect and should allow for good detailing.

I can't wait balloon6