Designing the De Havailland Comet-4

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Lex, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Designing the De Havilland Comet-4

I mentioned somewhere that I'm going to design an airliner... Well here it is, WIP. If only someone could guess what it is... --I'm afraid there's no reward for correct answers ^^ sign1

Attached Files:

• XX.jpg
      File size:
      234.5 KB
  2. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

DH Comet
  3. David H

David H Member

A long neglected prototype. As a bonus the complete nose / cockpit section was used in the French Sud Aviation's Caravelle.

My friend's dad flew Comets at the dawn of package tours to Spain in the 1960s (?). I for one would be up for a build.

4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Which mark of the Comet is that? The RCAF flew a couple of the earlier marks, and were the the first airforce in the world to acquire jet transports. I'd be interested in doing that colour scheme.

Hmmm...if I shorten the fuselage ahead of the wings I should get this.

5. Janx

Janx Member

Yay, A Dh Comet 4, Not too far from a Nimrod hehehe. Looking forward to this one Lex :D
  6. Gixergs

I hope you will make her a B.O.A.C as she always looked her best dressed that way. A great plane and still flying as the Nimrod, well more or less.
  7. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

A comet! And she's a beaut! This'll get the guys at my local hobbyshop interested!
    looking forward to the model and all different color schemes!

8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Haha, that wasn't too difficult was it... The signature intakes betrayed her >_<. Yes this is a Comet-4 and I really like this aircraft. I'll be making it in BOAC markings, or more if I find enough references. I found modern airliners far easier to design than fighter jets so this one might come out quickly... Also, making a Comet 2 would only require shortening the fuselage so I might do that too. Back to work now...
  9. Gixergs

bounce7Whoo Hoo!! Thank You love the B.O.A.C Comet Look forward to seeing this. I might have to brave the cold and visit the one at Duxford now.
  10. gippolot

gippolot Member

Nice to see a truly great aircraft getting a guernsey. (Is my spelling correct?)

The aircraft that could have been....

11. Cybermac

Cybermac Member

Good job! Always nice to see that someone loves the airliners!!!:thumb:

NULLMOON Member

one of my favorite aircraft oh yes and a british one no less it shouldnt be too hard to create the nimrod too as they share many features:thumb:
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

This design is a Comet-B --but after some research I found it's not actually used by BOAC >_< Well never mind, that means I'll have to do another set of marking for BEA which was actualy using it... I also hope to release an uncoloured version for any other intended markings. Anyway...

Completed the wingroot and tailfins today, I say airliner's wingroots are an absolute beast to deal with, both for designers and modelers = = Now I understand why simple models always "fudge" with that... But hopefully I'll start making unrollable surfaces soon, really didn't expect things to go so quickly :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. scon10

scon10 Member

An interesting project, I can't wait to see how the paper m odel parts will look like. Especially the delicate flowing aerodynamical lines of the wing-engines combination should be a difficult challenge to form in paper. Don't forget the wing leading edge fuel tanks of the BOAC Comet 4...
    It should be interesting to have models of the Comet 2 and 4 and comparing them to each other.
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Yea I'll try to have as little awkward parts as possible... --That's the difference between an amateur and a full-fledged professional designer...
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Progress, only need details such as intake interiors and landing gears. Bad news is I can't use my laptop for the next 3 weeks... --Anyway it's probably a good thing when you need to do some revision...

Attached Files:

17. BOAC Useage etc

The trouble is, Lex, you make this look far too easy and sucker the rest of us into having a go!:p. Looks like you have the elegance of the original captured here.

Have you mentioned a scale, size yet?

BOAC operated the beautiful but ultimately flawed Comet 1's. The experiance drove them away from operating the type ever again.

I, for one, always like the first version of an airliner, before they stretch the fuselages - it always spoils their looks too much. Peversley I prefer the later variants of military aircraft when they have a lot of interesting bumps and bulges added.
  18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I haven't really decided the scale yet, but it should be able to fit onto a desk... Also I actually like the stretched fuselages, they give airliners a more sleek shape. I am not going to design the Comet-1 because it is quite a change from the 2 and 4 versions, but repaints/modifications are always welcome.

Now... Lack of progress recently, main cause being my beloved laptop has been kidnapped by my beloved dad on a lovely business trip to a beautiful oriental country and won't be back till next week >_< --But meanwhile a little manga spirit suddenly came up...

Attached Files:

19. I have been waiting and waiting for someone to step up and design the Comet. Are you making it available or if you need a Beta Builder I would like to volunteer.
  20. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

You're doing a beautiful job on the model of a truly beautiful airplane. No one has ever designed a more beautiful nose section / windscreen, even Boeing. I also will be following your design.

As for your drawing above, pure artistry ...

I admire your talents.