Designing the Conwing L-16 "Seaduck"

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

So I decided to leave the "real" subjects to the professionals . . . sue me. sign1

I've been working on a pet-project: the Conwing L-16 "Seaduck" from Disney's Talespin cartoon. I thought it would be nice to have a physical model of it to compliment a few other 1:72 subjects on my shelves.

I have run into a problem with faces not joining up correctly, though. I'm not sure how to go about solving it. You can see the problem in this pic:

I'm going to divide the faces on the sides of the hull so as to taper them toward the nose a bit more.
  2. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Why don't you just cut off the unfinished half, finish the other half, and then mirror it?

Anyway, I'm REALLY looking forward to this one, I loved Duck Tales when I was a kid, and have been itching to make a model of this one. I was considering designing one myself, but since you're already on it...have at!
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

That's actually what I did when I took the following steps to make the nose symmetrical:

1) modeled the hull
    2) shaped the left side of the nose
    3) mirrored the entire hull
    4) deleted all of the copied hull's parts I didn't want
    5) connected the mirrored part with the rest of the hull

I did add some stuff:

The things left to add are the air scoops under the booms, the elevator, the pontoons, the headlights, and the mooring hooks.
  4. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Great work so far! I really enjoyed the Tale spin sries as a kid.
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Me, too! I think I must have made a dozen LEGO Seaducks before I became interested in other things(mainly Star Wars). I kind of rediscovered it and a few other cartoons a couple of months ago.

The Duck is almost complete. I just need to make the mooring hooks on the nose and rudders:

6. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, the Seaduck vanilla model is completed. Now I'm going to start the texturing in It should be a simple matter to make a yellow seaplane.

7. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Wow! I want one! Good model man! :D
    Gummi Bears, Ducktales and Darkwing Duck is on DVD, but I haven't seen Talespin yet... :(
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks! :mrgreen: I'm actually going to make several skins for her: the Seaduck of course, the "pimped L-16", and a few custom jobs, flames and such. I hope the files are under 2 megs so I can upload them myself. All of my models so far have been over three however.

Ironic, that . . . Talespin was the first one I saw available on DVD. I'll have to pick up volume 2 when I get some extra cash.
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, the Seaduck's texture is finished for the cartoon version. I plan on making a more complex and detailed version later that would reflect what I think the *real* plane would look like. I'm going to do the "pimped" version next.

10. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

looks good!
  11. goldrocco

goldrocco New Member

What happened to the physical clay model I saw a while back? alongside the miniature tri-wing?
  12. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

nice work

realy nice model
  13. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

I wonder how nose unfold into, many complex shape there...but look real cool in MetaSeq's work. Great Job
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

It's still under construction. I stopped working on it to do another project, and I just kind of lost track. I'll probably pick it back up for next year's Wonderfest.

I think I'll probably begin work on the paneled textures now. I jut needed a kick in the seat of the pants, as it were. I also need to fix some parts on the original model that will probably get in the way, like how the windows are separate pieces because I was too lazy to incorporate it into the texture. :oops: