Designing the Airbus A-380

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Nothing, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

I was talked into attempting this. There is not a whole lot of reference out yet, so it will be quite a challenge. plus i wish to do better than my last one.
    i'll attempt this plane
    This is the first production delivery for the A-380.

The shape of the body on closer examination is quite complex.
    this is my start.

2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

And so it begins!!!

Keep the great work up!!! bounce7
  3. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Watching with great interest.

Good Luck.

Cheers JTF
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

got some work done on the shape of the tail.
  5. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

I have collected an entire CD worth of photos that were taken while the test plane was at the "office", i.e. Hong Kong airport:mrgreen:. Some nice shots of the undercarriage, wings and engines, a nice timed series of her landing, and some short videos of taxing and docking.

I also have the technical document "Airplane Characteristics for Airport Planning". It has good technical drawings in it that will help in the design. I don't remember where I got it from so I am not sure how "public" the document is. I don't want to post it, but I don't see any harm in passing you a copy privately. PM me your e-mail if you are interested (11 Meg though).

Thank goodness someone is modelling this bird! When I first saw the gull wings, I thought, "that needs to be turned to card!" But watching her fly from the side, she looks awfully squat!

Here's a few pictures to whet your appetite(reduced in size for bandwidth):

Attached Files:

6. Jones Brandon

Jones Brandon Member

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are the man.
  7. Hans Christian

Um, hey bud', what scale will this be BTW? :-D
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

oooohhh go nuts 1:100 at least...

If you need certain pics Ill be at Farnborough Airshow next month and can get you what you want

John John
  9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

you are lucky. i wish i could go to Farnborough!

havnt thout about scale yet. i need to get the desighn down first.
  10. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

very small progress

the auxillery power exhaust pipe.
  11. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

ok for some reason this part is kikin my a**.:curse:

of cours you need to picture the wings coming off of this.
  12. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

now this is something i've been looking for in the cardmodeling world!!!looking forward to you model! maybe you can downscale it to a size small enough to fit in the palm of your hand!! now that would be awesome:D
  13. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

started on the vertical.

as i work on this all i can think about is Jesus's airliners. and then i think there is no way this is going to turn out.(not giving up though!)
  14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks for the pics Gnasher, and great design so far Nothing!
  15. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

What he said ^^

That sure is one impressive looking beast of a plane.... And thanks for having a crack at this nothing, I've been wondering for a while how long it would be before one of our talented designers would take this on, although it's got a lot of competition in my build queue, it's definitely something I've wanted to see as a card model for quite a while now. Good luck with the rest of it, looking great so far. :thumb:
  16. knife

knife Member

I vote for a 1/33 scale model, so it will fit in with all the other aircraft models.sign1
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

lol 1/33 would be 7.26 feet. im leaning towards 1/200. that would make it 1.2 ftx1.31 ft.
    ive spent the morning working on the vertical stab.

i couldnt get the rudder to do what i whanted. so i decided to leave it like this. the modler can work it to be more realistic.

im starting to worry about meeting everyones expectations.sign1
  18. Hans Christian

you're already EXCEEDING everyone's expectations... :-D
  19. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

ok got the split rudder done.
  20. knife

knife Member

Just a thought--when you are ready to apply the texture, try some of the freeware files from I was able to cut and paste the flight sim texture files to fill most of my 737 model. The flight sim texture files are designed to wrap around the flight sim aircraft similar to how mesasequoia applies texture to 3d objects.