designing on a Mac

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by outersketcher, Aug 16, 2006.

1. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Hello, I have several designs on paper and on Adobe Illustrator files that I'd like to recreate in some sort of 3d program.

1) What is a good 3d program for the MAC that a newbie like myself could pickup and learn?

2) How does one take an object that was created in 3d software and convert it to flat segments that can be printed out?

To show you that I'm really into the design end of this hobby, here are some shots of a project I'm working on the hard way. Sketched by hand, then drawn in Adobe Illustrator. But, there has GOT to be a simpler way to do this.

Unfortuneatly, my google searches for 3D software have only found PC compatable only programs.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. 46rob

46rob Member

I don't see where you need any 3d software--your design is nearly there. I've never used anything more than Photoshop for any of my models. Check the gallery for a few examples. I could nearly build your model from the sketches and drawings.
  3. I've got the same problem, I'm on a mac ,but the programs like Rhino only work on Windows..This helped me..

Attached Files:

4. Renaud

Renaud Member

mac 3d software

Enter "Amapi" in search, up, and look what members, especially Gil, say about.
  5. hpept

hpept Member

i agree with rob. You don't really need any 3d software as your project is already good as is.
  6. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Thanks for your votes of confidance. It means a lot to a newbie like myself. The kolywopter was my first paper model design. And I've tried to keep it as simple as possible in that I avoided any complex curves whenever possible. But I do have several other pending projects that would require some complex 2D shapes. Like for the contoured hind legs of a girraffe or the thorax of a spider.