Designing Ju-87 Stuka

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Bmer, May 2, 2007.

1. Bmer

Bmer New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to card modelling, and I'd like to start out by designing something of my own. So, I found a whole bunch of reference material (3-view drawings, cross-sections, etc.) on the Ju-87 Stuka, but I don't have the slightest idea of what I should do next.

I am proficient with AutoCAD and Photoshop, but I do not know any 3D programs. From what I have read on the forums, you don't need to know how to model in 3D to design your own airplane.

However, how do I go about designing the airplane? Where should I start off? Are there any tutorials that can help me get on my feet?
  2. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Unfortunately, I can't help you in the slightest, but as a devout JU-87 fan, I can offer a wealth of support on your efforts! Which version were you planning on designing?
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Welcome to the forum and the hobby.
    I can't help you with designing since I don't know how to do it but I strongly suggest trying to build some models (there is whole bunch of free ones available) to familiarize with the methods of construction and tricks used.
  4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

See Yaniv's "tray design" threads.
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

If you don't want to use a 3D design program, but have access to a 2D one, I'd be inclined to make a prototype structure first, with a vertical 'spine' the same shape a the side elevation of the fuselage, and frames glued onto this at pertinent points. The wings and tail surfaces can be done in the same way with a plan view (a bit more complicated especially with a Stuka with its gull wings and trousered undercarriage) with the ribs added to indicate the wing sections.

At the very least this will give you an appreciation of the size and possible internal structure of your model. But if it is reasonably sturdy you can use it to derive the panel shapes you need to make a proper 3D model. Just tack-glue oversize pieces of paper to the fuselage frames, keeping tight of course, and then trim them to match the frames. carefully peel off again and uncurve, scan and there you have it! I often use graph paper for this, so I can plot the curves accurately. My PC can draw a cleaner line than I can cut and scan!

Hope this helps,

6. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

If you don't want to go into the hassle of CAD... I remember seeing a scratchbuild/design tutorial that uses bulkheads to physically design the thing. Can't remember the link now, I'll try to find it. Anyone can help?
  8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

tray the Fiddlers green toturial about design withot a cad
  9. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Just curious, Bmer, has the above info encouraged you or frightened you off the project?
  10. Bmer

Bmer New Member

Haha, no, it hasn't frightened me off the project, but I must say, it looks complicated. I had originally planned doing the Ju-87 G (the Tank Destroyer version), but I couldn't seem to find the proper reference images, so I decided to settle with the Ju-87 A1. However, if you have any reference images for the G variant, I'd LOVE to use them!

Yaniv, I'm not sure, but you are using Rhino to make a 3D model and then using Pepakura to unfold it, right? I would have done that, but I can't as I don't have access to a 3D modelling program, plus, I'd have to spend a lot of my time learning how to use a 3D modelling program, when I am already quite proficient with AutoCAD. AutoCAD also has some good 3D capabilities (especially with the 2007 version) so I might use those, but I'd rather just stick with 2D'ing my way though.

It will be more of a challenge too that way :grin:

Wunwinglow, your idea is quite brilliant, I am probably going to use your method to make my model.

But again, I'm wondering if I should just make a free paper model first, before I get designing one, as shoki suggested. That might give me some experience and ideas before I start designing my own.

What do you guys think? Is it definitely a good idea to build some simple models first, before I start designing, or is it okay to get on with the designing?

I currently have my grade 11 exams coming up too (yes...I am only 16...I noticed most of you guys here are as old as my dad!), so I'm quite busy, and I'm quite pressed for time. So it might take me a couple of days sometime before I get some time to come on here and post my progress, and read your guys' suggestions.

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

Hehe, this is looking like it's going to be a good long project, but well worth it.
  11. charliec

charliec Active Member

Here are some

The last one has drawings of the Ju-87G

You may find that when you try to download the images you get disconnections - try a download manager like "Free Download Manager (FDM)"

12. Bmer

Bmer New Member

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for those picture, but those were the exact ones I had found on There is a side-view drawing of the G variant, but not a front, back, top, and bottom it's hard to make proper drawings for the aircraft.
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Wunwinglow definitely has it for 2-D design. If you don't want to CAD your way through, his is probably the only way around. Also the D- and G- versions have similar fuselages, you might as well use one of them for the other. (I checked, and did find a top and front view for the G-variant)

And don't worry about ages my friend, I'm as old as you are :D
  14. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Surfmaster is not cheap you know...:D
  16. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

This sight has a top view;

And I'm sure I've got more info on the G version somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out. But remember there were two versions of the G, the D3 and D5 conversions.
  17. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

18. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

19. k5083

k5083 Member

Chris is right, the Ju 87G was just the 87D with different stuff hanging off the wing, so 87D plan views should serve you well. Since there are already kits of the 87D out there, that might be a reason to stick with the Ju 87A. I for one would be more interested in an 87A than a G.

I also recommend you build a few models first, not just free but possibly also the downloadable ones in the $5.00 range from folks like Nobi or Marek. It can really help you avoid issues that might not occur to a designer but that a builder might find very aggravating.

20. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Also, just in case you didn't know, there are at least three 1/33 paper models of the JU-87G. Two are older, but can still be found. GPM does a wonderful model of the D and there are plenty of B versions around. But to my knowledge, no one has ever done the A...yet!