Designing G1 Optimus Prime Papermodel

voltron5

Here is my new project I started today, about 20-30 minutes in to it so far. I want to make this one as detailed as possible without being too hard to build. The pic I posted is where I got the inspiration to do a optimus prime model, and he will have the same pose. Let me know what you guys think so far.

Attachments

• optimusprimeux2.jpg
    optimusprimeux2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 83
  • optimusprime2zy1.jpg
    optimusprime2zy1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 67
  • opda9.jpg
    opda9.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 804

clif52

Banned
Cool! I need to learn 3D. I'm on a MAC so I don't even know where to start looking for 3D programs. Whats the program you use?

xavs

More the better

Great job, i spent the last tree years looking for transformers models, and now they are coming to reality, thanks and keep the nice work. :thumb:

voltron5

Cool! I need to learn 3D. I'm on a MAC so I don't even know where to start looking for 3D programs. Whats the program you use?

Hey clif, I use google sketchup, it is a very noob friendly program, there are a lot of excellent tutorials on the internet for a beginner to learn to use this program. In high school I used Autocad a little, but other than that this is only the 4th model I have made, I tried metasequoia but just couldn't figure it out (too complicated for my simple mind) Here is a link to the program, it's for windows and mac. Oh! best of all it's completely free. Make sure you download sketchyphysics and download some models from here . You'll have loads of fun(i did):mrgreen: <edit> Oops I just noticed sketchyphysics is for windows only, sorry.

voltron5,

will this be tranformable?

Looks good!!!

Transformable? no sorry not this one. I am thinking of making him poseable though.:thumb:

Also, I am open to any transformers requests. Like xavs, I have been trying to find decent transformers models out there for years. I'm thinking I would like to stick with Transformers for a while so anybody has any requests let's hear em. Here is a pic of the tires on the lower leg, I was playing with textures to see how it would look. I like it but needs some fine tuning.

Attachments

• optimusprimejc1.jpg
    optimusprimejc1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 31

Getter1

Hey V5,

Looks like another great model from you :D Keep it up.

I would like to see a few Transformers done :D

Megatron
Starscream (recolor and you have Thundercracker & Skywarp ;) )
Bumble Bee
Sunstreaker
Wheeljack

G1

voltron5

No problem G1, I'll add them to list:mrgreen: And thanks for the positive comments. How is the voltes model goin? can't wait to see some updates

Getter1

Great V5....................pssssst..........put Megatron up next :p

Voltes is down to the part I'm not looking forward to :p so I had a "tiny" distraction in scratch building a 1/400 RB-79 Ball from Gundam. I did get the hands done last week but it was hardly worth posting for such little progress. The robot mode is down to the weapons and head module to complete.

I also finished up a project that I started before the Voltes. So you can say I'm trying to do a bit of clean up lately but don't worry I plan on getting some done on Voltes this weekend ;)

G1

clif52

Banned
Thanks for the info Voltron 5. I'll check into Sketchup and see what I can do with it. The Optimus is looking good. I may try a large scale one out of corrugated cardboard. I've been watching a couple of large scale builds thats been on the forum lately.

voltron5

V5,

I know it is a little off topic, but how is everything going with Voltron?

Almost there, I posted an update in the voltron thread, I am looking for black lion beta builders if interested:thumb:

Just a little update before bed, Got the lowers legs done for the most part just need to texture the tire sidewalls and I would like to find a texture for the rims but haven't had any luck yet. I resized the gas tanks cause they just looked too small

Attachments

• optimus prime.jpg
    optimus prime.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 37
  • optimus prime2.jpg
    optimus prime2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 22
  • optimus prime3.jpg
    optimus prime3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 52

voltron5

just a little update for today. got the upper legs started and added the leg hydraulics/shocks?I'm going to add two more to the back. There not in the permanent position just threw em on there to show how it will look, they will be at an angle and closer together. With about an hour of modeling time this one is going alot quicker than the voltron model so hopefully this should be done by the end of next week.:thumb:

Attachments

• optimus prime.jpg
    optimus prime.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 43

xavs

great

Thank's for the comment and i agree with megatron as the next, but there are to many.
Astrotrain, Omega supreme and his alter modes, preceptor, dinibots (grimloc), sundwave, blaster, a full set of tapes, iron hide, Wheeljack, jetfire, Starscream, cosmos, powerglide, Warpath, inferno, Metroplex, Shockwave, constructicons, insecticons, Blitzwing, Tripticom, reflector, ultra magnus... Sorry i just can't stop:mrgreen:

if theres any way to help count me in:thumb:

Getter1

Thank's for the comment and i agree with megatron as the next, but there are to many.
Astrotrain, Omega supreme and his alter modes, preceptor, dinibots (grimloc), sundwave, blaster, a full set of tapes, iron hide, Wheeljack, jetfire, Starscream, cosmos, powerglide, Warpath, inferno, Metroplex, Shockwave, constructicons, insecticons, Blitzwing, Tripticom, reflector, ultra magnus... Sorry i just can't stop:mrgreen:

Xavs,

You might not have seen this site yet,

PAPERINVADERS - Home page

He has done several G1 Transformer models such as Soundwave and couple of the cassetes. There's also Ironhide, and Ratchet. There's a few Super Robots in there to :D

Devestator and Omega Supreme have been done by Masamure Washington but he has taken them down from the net. Good thing I got them before he did that :p He also did a Prime but V5's is turning out much better :D

V5,

Prime is lookin great :D Can't wait to see him all done :D Hope to see Megatron next ;)

It's so great to see the G1 stuff. Keep up the great work :D

G1

xavs

I have them all, but, never can be to much of transformers :twisted:, about paperinvaders they are great models but, most to be build with color paper, check the web is great, also a Mazzinger-Z model:thumb::thumb:

voltron5

wow amazing its looking sweet buddy keep it up..... another fine model well done

Hey rlc321, thank you for your kind comments. I hope I don't let you guys down.:thumb:

Hello xavs, first thanks for the comments, second don't be sorry, I loved transformers quite a lot as well(still do). I watched it religiously when I was a child, I remember always hoping to see devastator or any kind of combiner, I had a thing for combiners for some reason. So I will def. be doing some of those, and hopefully make them actually transform and combine if feasible. Dinobots are a must, as well as all the jets(if you make one you might as well make them all) So yeah I plan on sticking to G1 transformers for a while i"ll more than likely just keep making them until I get bored with them, which I don't see happening any time soon,then I'll probably go back and do vehicle voltron. And I'll keep you in mind when I need a beta builder for prime.:thumb:

Megatron is next on the list, so no worrys there guys. Thanks for the positive comments G1, let me know if your up for beta building this one as well(I'm gonna steal you away from everybody else as my exclusive beta builder):twisted: lol just kiddin

So I started on the cab section today and got the basic shape of it down, but the more I look at it I can't help but think something doesn't look right. I just can't figure out what, what do you guys think(I'm open to any and all crit)? Keep in mind he is standing in a generic pose right know, when done I'll pose him before sending to pepakura.

Attachments

• optimus prime.jpg
    optimus prime.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 37
  • optimus prime2.jpg
    optimus prime2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 24
  • optimus prime3.jpg
    optimus prime3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 29