Designing card models

Mace

Mar 21, 2005
The Netherlands
Hi Steve25,

you might start with going through the Designer's Corner. You can also have a look under downloads --> Tutorials.

What do you want to design?? Because we have some Ace designers here on the forum who might be able to help you.

Mace

Lex

Dollmaker
Dec 1, 2006
Oxford, UK
In the digital age it's common to design cardmodel with computer... Yea, go for a look through Designer's Corner and try giving Google Sketchup a go ^^ Any designer will be able to help with your questions.

Try the tips, tutorials, & tools section under card modelling.

Basically, I start with as many drawings and photos as I can find. The best get pasted into a drawing/graphics program (basic PowerPoint works) and then enlarged or reduced to a consistent scale. That allows me to measure dimensions.
At this point, it's time to get out the pencil and paper. I sketch out the model and break it up into boxes, cylinders, conic sections, etc. For complex shapes you really need to use a 3-D graphics program (or just be prepared to do some cut, fit, and redrawing, repeating as necessary). Once I have an idea of what the parts are, I go back to the scaled photos and calculate the dimensions of the resulting flat parts (some basic solid geometry) and draw them up.
Most 3-D graphics programs will do this for you - called unfolding the surfaces of the model. For details here, you'll need to refer to the documentation for your 3-D program.
It's both easier than it sounds and takes longer.
Yogi

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
rocketmantan.deviantart.com
I'm glad you chose to design models, my friend, for it is a very rewarding experience. My method is kinda roundabout for some, but it sure helps for me! I first get three-way views of my subject, and then I cut it down into smaller pieces that can be easily assembled. After that, I mentally unfold them whilst drawing them out on my computer. Once that is done, I add details, colour, and whatever else is needed.
Frankly, this method requires some knowledge of geometry as well as mediocre math skills, but I'm sure anyone can do that.

--Bryan "Opposite over Adjacent" Tan

Lord Manimal

Oct 5, 2009
Yeah, the hobby definitely needs more designers! Stick with it, don't get frustrated, and invest in a Silhouette SD to make your build prototyping infinitely faster!

voodoo

Jun 2, 2010
usa
was looking for this info also thanks for the input LM ,I will look at the system and see if it will work for me as I am an N scale rr guy, anyway many thanks for an idea.

Z

Zathros

luluxiu, you may want to look at the dates of some of these threads. Customarily, reviving the dead is kind of frowned upon. You could start a new thread on the subject if you wish?! Post some of your work, better yet! But don't revive these dead old threads. Most are for archival purposes, as they may contain information, that is why they aren't deleted, I would guess a lot of them could be though. Thanks!