Designer's competition announcement

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by RyanShort1, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I would like to announce a new challenge to our great designers here.

As some of you may know, I run a website called related to the Doolittle Raid. Well, their next reunion is scheduled to be held here in the San Antonio, TX where I live. For some time now I've been contemplating this idea and I think it's time to get it done.
    I would like to announce a contest for the best Doolittle Raid themed models following certain guidelines. There will be three basic categories

Aircraft (including but not limited to):

F4F with Hornet or Enterprise markings
    SBD with Hornet or Enterprise markings
    TBD with Hornet or Enterprise markings
    Defending Japanese aircraft
    Japanese DC-3 or Tabby that transported the captured Doolittle Raiders to prison

Doolittle Raid Ships such as:
    USS Hornet
    USS Gwin
    USS Princeton
    USS Enterprise
    Nitto Maru
    US Submarines that scouted ahead for the mission

An additional category for oddball subjects such as:
    US Navy airship L-8
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Japanese targets
    Chinese vehicles or buildings such as the ones pictured in Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
    Or Super Detailed models such as a B-25 Cockpit

A few rules:

Scale needs to be 1/72 or 1/48 for aircraft or a standard scale for ships. Some variation might be acceptable for some other Raid-Related model such as a small scale model of Tokyo Bay or something similar.

If a B-25 is being designed at least one version of the kit needs to be a B-25B with Doolittle Raider markings - preferably based on one of the aircraft that I've created profiles of on my site (A J model version wouldn't hurt as the group hosting the event flies a B-25J)

No nose art that I do not personally approve of on the contest models

I would encourage designers to aim for a skill level above Fiddlers Green models, and would encourage models as complex as ModelArt 1/72 models, but need to keep the designs somewhat reasonably simple so that they could be built by the average cardmodeler.

Submitted designs must be original work and you must be the designer unless you have written permission as a proxy

All entrants, while reserving their own right to sell their own models, will give me permission to sell them at, and or in print or digital file format and modify them if so desired. I would be willing to work with you if you would prefer a royalty situation.

I will be happy to provide drawings and markings information for the B-25s and would be willing to help with research on other related matter such as ship colors and other information.

The best B-25 model would win a $150 prize
    The best other model would win a $50 prize
    All entries (unless I run out of stock) will be eligible to receive a free book telling the story of one of the Doolittle Raiders if they so desire. Also I will be happy to provide links to websites offering your other models.

If you do not like the terms of the contest but would still like to participate, please drop me an email. I am not sure that I know the best way to run this contest and am open to ideas. I will post any additional rules or rule changes on this thread.
    I would like to offer more in the way of prizes, but am not in a position to offer much more than offered currently.

Ryan Short
  2. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I forgot this:

All entries must be received by noon Jan. 1, 2007 (1200 Central Standard Time). That should give me time to build and evaluate the entries in time for their being ready for the reunion. I will probably also want a few beta builders to help.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Neeto... I have an interesting idea for a project that isn't mentioned above. =)

My lil secret.
  4. Czestmyr

Czestmyr Member

Well, I would be thinking of joining, but there seems to be no category for me.
  5. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Well, that's up to you. If you can come up with something creative that you can convince me is related to the Doolittle Raid, then I'm willing to consider it. I'm leaving that third category pretty broad.

6. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Just to clarify, the prize categories will be:

And I'm adding a $50 prize for best ship. - I'm just a little bit intimidated by that one because I've yet to successfully build a ship out of paper.

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cool Ryan........... gotta check with some guys and I'll PM ya!

8. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

sounds good R. count me in. it might be a good idea to let designers know they can enter more than one category, but only win in one..... or something like that. of course, that's up to you. the finest model i have ever seen was a multi-media 1/100 model of the hornet, with the raiders, at the texas aviation hall of fame. this collection is housed at the lone star flight museum in galveston tx. good luck to all. nice to know it is not tontine time yet...
  9. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

There will be a few changes in the new rules, but nothing significant that will affect your designs. The changes are related to how the contest will be run.

10. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I will be posting a revised rules page at my website this afternoon hopefully.

11. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

12. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Competition page was updated today along with a general site update.

13. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Hmmm... I wonder if I've not set this up properly, if my guidelines are to much, or if it's just not a good enough prize or what? Just a reminder that the deadline is marching closer and I haven't gotten a singe entry yet. And the competition is for real and if successful might spark another on a different subject matter.

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think its a great idea personally but there arent tons of designers out there and those are pretty busy...

maybe if you were able to find some free models and contacted the designers of said models and allowed repaints? That might open the field a bit. I dont know, just throwing the idea out there - I really have no idea whats available for those types of models.

Best of luck to you!
  15. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

That is covered in the rules!

16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Oh, heh heh. Are you aware of any free models out there that would fit the profile? I have never done a repaint and I dont see me getting one done before xmas (making models for people for xmas) but you never know. I will have to look though my collection to see if there is anyhting suitable that could be used.
  17. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

33 days left in the competition! At this point it looks like there won't be much in the way of competition for prizes... :eek:

18. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Time is ticking...
  19. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Well Ladies and Gentlemen,

There are only a few hours left on this. If you have an entry, it needs to be mailed or emailed by midnight tonight wherever you are. There isn't much competition. The deadline will not be extended unless I get an email very soon.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'm sorry Ryan. I wish I was able to have spent more time on my project. Unfortunately I ran up the bill on personal time and my idea never got past the prototype sketch. The model was a design by scratch somewhat inspired by the film 'Pearl Harbour'. The scene was a model of a bomb on a cart with 2D standups of crewman and doolittle wiring the friendship medals to the bomb.

I hope something happens with the contest though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.