Design By Building Blocks

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by JT Fox, May 27, 2008.

1. keith

keith Member

Art Decko is correct
    Copyright is interesting - especially 'Fan Art' - BIG can of worms it is.

The answer is YES you can, you cannot copyright or patent a geometric form. (Euclid can't sue you :) )There is also a 15% difference clause in copyright law, meaning you made an effort to make it different.
  2. voltron5

voltron5 Member

I would try to contact Lego and ask them if they would be interested in hosting these free for download models on there site, just stress the point that you will in no way profit from these models. You never know they might be very interested in this to bring more publicity and attention to legos, just a thought.
  3. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

If the models turn out that good I'll be very pleased.

Cheers JTF
  4. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

JT Fox,

This a VERY intresign thread as I've thought of the same thing myself. The design program I use is called Shiryu and it is all boxes (no curves, or all least not easily obtained) so it would be perfect to make the type of models you are discussing here :)

So are you intrested in LEGO Star Wars models?

5. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Hi G1

I have the Lego instructions for the Millenium Falcon. The instructions are in pdf format. All 306 pages.

It could be some time before I tackle this particular build.

I'm not actually looking to make dozens of small blocks to stick together but make a single shape which is easy to unfold that matches the shape of the original blocks.

I'm hoping have more screen shots after the weekend.

Cheers JTF
  6. Mace

Mace Member

@Art : THNX for the insight :) it is a very interesting question because of the Fan Art we are all familiar with.

G1 It sounds like a brilliant idea to try this with Shiryu.... I'm very curious how this would work...... keep us posted :)

Same goes for JT ofcourse :D
  7. hey guys maybe his would help.
    a program here ldraw wich lets you i belive build stuff virtually using lego could help
  8. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Nice find. I will certainly give it look.

Cheers JTF
  9. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Here's the initial unfolds.

This picture shows the original multi-block model. Each block would be built and then glued together

Star Jet-4.jpg

In this picture I have re-modeled to match the shape of the original but now only using two object which require building and gluing together.

Star Jet-5.jpg

If you decided to build the model, which route would take, multi-block or two block?

Cheers JTF
  10. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Two block if I were simply building a ship, but multi block if I actually wanted it to represent a lego / mega blocks type model to try and fool all my friends!
  11. Mace

Mace Member

I totally agree with CK!!! :)
    I would also go for multi-block when I would work with my young nephews/niches because then they could build anything they want with it.
    And they could be more creative then with the big block build
  12. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Well this is tempting me to do these Megablock models :D However the amount of pieces they have is making me wonder which route to go, miuti or combined blocks?

I also have many of the LEGO Starwars sets, JT Fox you don't know what you've staterd here :p

Attached Files:

13. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

I have built the blocks for the main body. I set the scale in Pep so they should be the same as Lego etc.

Building blocks was tougher than I thought it would be. Very easy go go out of square and then they don't go together. I also had issues with warping on the large thin piece, I think that is mostly a glue issue which I solve by reducing the amount of glue and resting a small book on it to keep it flat for a few minutes while it dried.

Star Jet-6.JPG

Star Jet-7.JPG

When stuck together they look like this.

Star Jet-8.JPG

Star Jet-9.JPG

Star Jet-10.JPG

Next to do is the rear wing section.

Cheers JTF
  14. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Very cool. Looking to see more on this one.
  15. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Nose and main wing added. Tail section blocks built ready.

Cheers JTF
  16. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

That's a pretty clever modeling idea. Looking forward to more pics ....
  17. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

I have finished the initial modeling of the next project in Meta and thought I'd share the first screen shots as a teaser before I complete the Star Jet.

Ferrari F1 - 1.jpg

Ferrari F1 - 2.jpg

Ferrari F1 - 3.jpg

Cheers JTF
  18. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

The final build is complete. I haven't put the guns on the outer wing position as I couldn't figure out how to fix them in position.

Test pilot has arrived at last.

With the canopy on.

I guess the next thing is to borrow some paint from the little 'ern and gie it some colour.

Cheers JTF
  19. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Very cool. I look forward to more of these.