Desert Mountains - N-Trak Module in progress

Bikerdad

Attached are a few photos of my first MRR project, an N-Trak Mojave Desert module.

Attachments

• longview.jpg
    longview.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 353

Bikerdad

More mountain shots

Here is a shot that focuses in on the main mountain. The only scenery work left on these is to remove all the loose sand, put down a dusting of very fine sand, and then put down some scattered scrub. Top it all of with a spray of clear matte sealer and bobs yer uncle!

Attachments

• sunrisemtn.jpg
    sunrisemtn.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 349

Bikerdad

Another shot of main mountain...

Aerial view of main mountain. The scenery is plaster soaked paper towels over beercooler EPS foam. All the plaster was tinted with craft paints, and I put additional plaster where I felt it was needed. Additional washes of paint were applied.

Attachments

• sunrise2.jpg
    sunrise2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 341

Bikerdad

Last one - Quarter view

Here's a quarter view. I take no responsibility for any resulting neck-cricks that may attend viewing... :eek:

Any feedback is appreciated...

Attachments

• quarterview.jpg
    quarterview.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 336

TiVoPrince

After the second picture, all I want to know is where are you planning to get a N scale cyote and roadrunner....

Looks great, a lot like New Mexico along Interstate 10...

McFortner

Originally posted by Bikerdad
musta stunned them all into silence... :rolleyes:

(Holding a big spoon full of mashed potatoes and looking at the mountain) This... This means something. :eek:

:)

Looks like a good start. Reminds me of the area around Grand Junction, CO. :thumb:

Michael

Agatheron

Count on a fellow GenXer to come up with the Close Encounters Reference ;)

I'm looking forward to this one taking shape!

Hoss

Lookin' good!!

I gotta admit...I'm scared to death of why my scenery is gonna look like when I get to that stage. I wish I could design my track plan, build the benchwork, put down the roadbed and then let someone else lay all my track and do all the scenery. My comfort level with tracklaying and doing scenery is not good. :rolleyes:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Nice!!! You've nailed the look of those rugged Southwestern mountains. I expect to see Leaphorn and Sgt. Chee drive by in their Navaho Police vehicles! (Tony Hillerman reference there....:) )
Ralph

Bikerdad

Roadrunner & Coyote

Thanks guys. The Roadrunner is out there, but unfortunately, between being N-Scale and my lack of experience with the borrowed camera, he's kinda hard to see. :D Coyote is impatiently waiting at the freight terminal in the next town up the line for the track to be laid, along with his latest shipment from Acme. :wave:

I have all of my materials now, so tonite I hope to either a) get the scrub down, or b) put the roadbed and some track down.

I think next I'll do a dry lake module. Take a sheet of Masonitetm, paint off-white, and lay track across it! Sometimes deserts have their advantages. String a bunch together, painted a light tan, and call it Saudi Arabia. (Gotta come up with camels for that one though...) :thumb:

TiVoPrince

Bikerdad,

Consider that crackle paint to make the cracked surface of the lake bed then another light coat to seal it.

Would be VERY cool...