Desert Island Toolkit!

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by David H, Oct 4, 2007.

1. David H

David H Member

OK gang,

I am off for a family Holiday on Saturday, I am taking a couple of quick and easy projects to tide me over in the evenings:

Cannon for HMS Alert
    Gremir's Supermarine Spitfire XIVe (Channel packet)
    Mareck's Macchi 200 from De Wayne

What are the essential tools you would take when travelling light?

A sort of Desert Island Toolkit!

2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Hmm - I've got an old artist's paint box that fits pretty much all of my tools, and has a separate slot up top where I can fit printed sheets. If I were going to take modeling stuff on a trip I could take everything.

But to answer the question - minimum I would need to work, assuming pre-laminating formers:
    cutting mat
    paper clips
    ziplock bag or 2 to put parts into
    1 straight pin
    small metal rule
    Nail file

I can roll and shape with the back end of the xacto knife. I can roll tiny bits around the paper clips. I'd use the straight pin for scoring. I use toothpicks to apply glue.
    I have a bunch of other stuff I use situationally, but I think the above would allow me to do most of my work.

I forgot nail file when I posted, but it'd be ok to forget as you can get one anywhere ;)
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Scalpel and a couple blades
    cutting mat
    thick stock for formers
    a couple clothes pins
    scoring tool
    black sharpie
    small scissors
    small steel ruler
    I think thats it for me
  4. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

Clip on magnifying lens.
    I tend to use a trip/vacation to cut out the model but don't try to assemble it. I like having a completely cut out kit ready for assmbly when I return home. Just my way of working. John
  5. sakrison

sakrison Member

Well, since you asked.....

If I were going to be marooned on a desert island,
    I would only take two things with me:
    a comfortable, overstuffed chair . . . and the Library of Congress.

Vacations and cardmodeling have never been a successful mix for me.
    I think it's the marguaritas.

No worries,
  6. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

I always have a "travelling" kit, as I do some modelling in the office at lunchtimes. My whole kit fits into a small pencil case type pouch, except for the A5 sized cutting board! Apart from the above, I can also squeeze in a couple of clamps, my screw punch, and black and red felt tip pens. So you don't have to cut down on your equipment. Also remeber, you can improvise tools at your destination.

BTW, remember, if you are flying, put your kit in your suitcase, not your hand luggage! You don't want want your precious gear conficated and end up with nothing to do but drink marguaritas like sakrison;-)!

Finally, have a great holiday, I envy you!