Descions descions

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Big_Red_N, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Big_Red_N

Big_Red_N New Member

Ive have dabbled would be the best word i guess in HO,OO and N gauge so far.

3 attempted layouts and 2 of which were satisfying and fairly successful. However i always seem to come undone by my indesciveness. Is there anything i can do, like list out my main needs in the layour or something to help?

thanks in advance
  2. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Hi - do you perhaps have a model railroad club/group nearby? It often helps to get together with fellow modellers who can give hands-on advice and insight into pitfalls they have had to overcome. I guess Melbourne would have at least a few clubs?
  3. brakie

brakie Active Member

For me making a mental list of givens and druthers works wonders..I don't use a track plan but,plan as I go using my givens and druthers as guide lines..
  4. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Listing your desires is a good way to start. There are always a lot of questions, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some in this list.

-Since you're posting in the N/Z forum, does that mean you intend your next layout to be N? Or have you not decided?

Assuming you have decided...

-Draw a plan of your space. Label every dimension, preferably including the ceiling height. Don't make any assumptions about benchwork configuration at this stage.

Now, get down to the actual questions.

-What country, time period, region, and railroad are you interested in?
    -What sorts of equipment do you intend to run?
    -What are your priorities regarding freight vs. passenger, mainline running vs. yard switching vs. along-the-line switching, devoting space to track vs. scenery vs. buildings?
    -What industries are you interested in?
    -How much area do you want your layout to represent? How many towns? How much emphasis on country/city? How much selective compression can you tolerate?
    -What sort of track are you using: sectional vs. flex vs. handlaid? Specify brand(s) for the first two.
    -Can you handle complicated construction (such as a swinging/fold-down section, or double-decking?)
    -How many people will be operating the layout at any one time?
    -Do you want show-style running, informal operation, formal operating sessions, or all three?
    -What are your main interests in modelling? Building equipment? Scenery? Operation? Etc.

If you don't know the answers to all of these, don't feel bad. I'll just have to ask different questions.

And if you have any other specific requirements, list them.
  5. Big_Red_N

Big_Red_N New Member

Ok well yes i am working in N gauge.
    As for prototype etc i know it will be a British influenced layout in the mid 60s so about 1965-1966. I want to run freight and passenger stock but also the odd military train or something to vary the interest.
    I like the idea Fiddle yard to station idea however still believe id miss continueous circuits so thats my main stumping at the moment. I think it will be a fairly rural/small town sort of situation. Proprierty products track, engines, some wagons etc,,,

My main problem is settling on an idea, i have all the small details set out its when i come to actually laying out the design of buildings and track and scenic details.

cheers alex
  6. Big_Red_N

Big_Red_N New Member

there are groups around but are a fair way away from me which is very annoying. :cry:
  7. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

There is a way to have end to end and a continuous run (though this is not cheap). Noch of Germany produce spirals/helices that allow track to wind down (or up) to another level. The smallest helix they make for N requires a diameter of around 22 inches. So, if you add a helix at either end of your end-to-end, then track can disappear down to a lower level, and trains can run down there to hidden staging (or a fully sceniced lower level if you prefer) and then re-appear at the other end whenever you choose. See my posting on Authementville in N in the Layout forum - it has a plan attached. Of course, you'll need to attach a lower baseboard beneath the main baseboard: 9 inches will do if it's just staging; a fully sceniced lower level would need at least a foot between levels, and so more add-on sections to each spiral/helix.
    Such a plan can be added later to an end-to-end as funds permit!
  8. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Well, there are many ways to combine continuous running with staging or fiddle yards. How much space do you have?