Derailments at EZ track turnouts

MacKenHat

Dec 19, 2006
Hi! I have just begun a 4x8 layout using E_Z track and am having issues with cars derailing at turnouts. Seems like the flange on the wheel collides with the end of the points and then slips between the point and the track.

I have to say I give Bachmann a big thumbs down on quality control with these turnouts.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? The points are riveted in so I can't easily remove thm to taper them.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Most commercial turnouts will have similar problem out of the box. If you examine those turnouts closely, you will probably see a sharp 90 degree corner on the top of both points. What happens is that the wheel flanges pick those points and cause a derail. The fix is easy, just take a small file and round off the sharp corner and the problem will go away.

mgast

Dec 18, 2006
grand rapids, mi
Turnouts

Also, where are the turnouts located?

With most turnouts, placing one right at the end of a curve will also create an issue. There should be at least one section of straight track (as long as the longest car or engine) placed between the turnout and the end of the curve.

True, many points are not filed properly. The end of the points should almost nest inside the inner web of the rail. File the points (note from the inner side of the points) until they nest in the web. This will also help.

Marc

mgast

Dec 18, 2006
grand rapids, mi
EZ Track

Hi,

Just as a note, EZ track is great for under the Christmas tree, however, there are more reliable styles of track available on the market.

:)

Cheers,

Marc

MacKenHat

Dec 19, 2006
derailments!! arghh!

I tried filing the corners as suggested. No luck.

The rivets that hold the points onto the moving cross tie are sure sloppy and loose.

Maybe that is the cause? Anyone ever run into this before?