Derailment near Nephton Mines.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
This happend three weeks ago, so when we visited the old trailer park we had a trip out to see the wreckage.
And here it is.
By now they have repaired the trackage but not shifted the cars, they are however in the processs of pumping out the valuble cargo Nephomite.

Attachments

• p1010003.jpg
    p1010003.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 129

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Dick, the trucks should be all right -- they just spring them apart and pop the axles back in. ;)
Seriously, it looks as if the bearings will just go back in the side frames and maybe have some sort of wedge added.
It's nice to see the couplings holding together in a wreck the way they're supposed to. I was browsing in the book Red for Danger tonight and reading about crashes where the buckeye (knuckle) couplings kept cars together, in line, and upright without telescoping.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Very interesting pics, Chris. Thank you for sharing. They gave me much insight into the construction of American freight car trucks. (Ours are quite different, as I think. Over here in Europe I just can't go over to the nearest RR yard to study the American 1:1 version :D)

Considering couplers: Model RR coupler separate at the most bizarre occasions. :( But when a car derails at the layout edge and then heads towards the floor, EVERY Kadee coupler in the train will hold and pull all the following cars down! :eek: :eek: :eek: (This is one more of Murphy's Laws :D :D :D )

One question: What the heck is Nephomite?

Ron

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Ron,,,, I have been told there are only three mines in the world that produce this substance, They are open faced mines where they blast this type of rock, Then its ground down to powder,
I understand it`s used in cosmetics.:)
Glad you like the pics, it was great getting real close to the underneath;)