derailing prob - need track finetuning tips

eckstara

Feb 9, 2005
TN
I have trouble optimizing track. Using Atlas sectional track on scenic ridge layout. Straight and Curves are pretty much debugged, but Turnout Switches are causing too many derailments. Trialed using 3 types of n-scale engines, both directions. Turnout next to curve derails. Turnout on straight reroutes.

Also, how to apply joiners when trying to repair different sections. Was careful on alignment and gluing 1st time, but apparently not good enough to not need to take apart.

sams

Dec 17, 2004
eckstara,
are the derailments occuring going into the TO's?
or at the points or frogs?

for joiners, i just slip them on.
can do it by hand, but you need to be careful...
its easy to punch a hole in your finger since the edges are sharp.
once one piece of track has joiners on, i place it on a flat surface with the next piece, and slide the second piece carefully in...
try to slide it perfectly straight, as any sideways movement will loosen the joiners.
i continue adding sections like this, but stop before the segment gets big.
when it gets too large, and you lift it, the weight of the track will cause sagging and loosen the joints.
or a better way, is to just do it on the layout itself so that the track doesn't have to be moved again.
if you have removed and adjusted pieces of track, i'd recommend throwing away those joiners if they aren't really tight ("like new") and using new ones.
joiners get loose rather easily, and its just easier to replace them.
once you have the track connected, and before ballasting/glueing, carefully go over all the joints with your finger to feel for any irregularities.
fix these before going to the next stage.
hope this helps.
if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Welcome to the Gauge eckstra. That's good advice sams has given you. Use you finger to go over the TOs too to see where the wheels may pick a point or if the flange ways cause the wheels to lift up some.

eckstara

Feb 9, 2005
TN
are the derailments occuring going into the TO's?
or at the points or frogs?

the wheels are misdirected at the points on 1 switch and the frog on another. The six-axle engine does the worst.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
On that one switch check to see how tight the point rail is to the main rail. Sometimes they need to be filed a bit to get a tight fit . Also check the height of the point rail compared to the main rail. They should be the same height. In the frog you should watch a wheel going slowly through it to see what makes it lift. Easy to say but difficult to do sometimes.

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
Try not to have a TO just after a curve, as the locomotive is forced into a tighter radius turn than if the TO is in the middle of a straight. The front of the loco, particularly a 6 axle one will be entering the TO while the rear is still on the curve, hence the tighter turn.

eckstara

Feb 9, 2005
TN
thanks for prompt replies. now I just need to find time to watch operation in slow motion to see what everyone describes.

Mike P

Jan 10, 2005
Murrysville, PA
To prevent the jointer problem as I joined each section of track on my little layout I soldered the section in wile the jointers were still tight and this insured I had the rails as tight together as possible. Although I had de-railment problems it came from the ballast not the joints