Derailing G-Scale Gondola

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by TomPM, Aug 23, 2005.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

The track is down in the garden and the trains have begun to run. There have been some problems but nothing I haven’t dealt with in HO before.

One problem we have is with a gondola that keeps derailing. Upon inspection I can find nothing obvious wrong with the car. However, I was carrying it along with a reefer I noticed how light weight the gondola was. I checked with the NMRA recommended practices regarding car weights but I did not find any for G-Scale cars.

From past experience with gondolas and flat cars in HO I know a car that is too light tends to derail on curves. Since this gondola is behaving the same I am thinking that this might be the problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Tom: the obvious first step is to put weight in the gondola. A few quarter-inch bolts until it seems about the same weight as the boxcar. If that cures it, you can then start making up better looking weights.
    Does it derail at the same spot every time? Then you may have a small track problem as well.
  3. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

Does the gon have plastic wheels? If it does, try metal wheels. They add weight and make a vast improvement in running characteristics or the cars.
    One of the things I have done is add the stickon weights under the car.
    Another thing is to check the wheels for gauge and true. Also, make sure that the lighter cars such as gons and flats are at the back of the train.
  4. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Tom - I have a bunch of lead weights.. Just for that purpose :) I put 1 in each corner of the car and it solved the problem... I guess this gives us an excuse to meet again, eh?? :D :D :D
  5. N Gauger

I never thought to ask like capt turk - about the metal wheels - you definatly have to have steel wheel son all your cars.. :)
  6. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

Since the metal wheels are so damnedably expensive, I make sure the flats, gons, and any other light cars get them first. I swap them out and put the plastics on the heavy cars and then slowly(as the bank ok's loans on the dog, cat, house, kids, car, and whatever, is approved lol) replace the wheels with metal ones, as I can. LGB' metal wheels seem to be the best, but Whew!! the price is brutal!
  7. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Thanks everyone!

The car is a Bachmann Heavy Hauler gondola and for some reason I thought it had metal wheels. It does not! All the other Big Hauler cars we have came with metal wheels. So I will definitely be changing the wheels.

You got that right!

I’ll be bugging you shortly with a few other things. How are your track wiring skills?
  8. N Gauger

Very Good & I have tons of wires for "feed lines" :) I only have about 300 ft, 16 ga. I can give ya :)

You have to get your own "Main Wires" (I used 14 ga wire) :)

Whenever your ready :) :) let me know.... PM for my phone number :)