Denver and Northwestern RR (kind of)

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Spawn of Chaos, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Givens and Druthers

Denver and Northwestern RR (just for the layout)
    Scale: HO Gauge: Standard

Prototype: None
    Era: 1941-1985
    Region: None
    Railroad: Union Pacific with a bit of Great Northern (Empire Builder).
    Space: 10X10, plan only uses 5X10.
    Describe Space: My own personal bedroom! A track diagram is at the bottom.
    Governing Rolling Stock: Union Pacific freight, passengers, Empire Builder (’nuff said.)

Relative Emphasis:

Track/Operation-------------------------------Scenic realism
    Mainline Running-----------------------------------Switching

Operation Priorities:
    Passenger Train Switching - Medium
    Helper District Operations - Low
    Main-Line Passenger Train Operation - High
    Long Freight Train Operations - Medium
    Engine Terminal Movements - Medium
    Local Freight Operations - Medium
    Typical operating Crew: Just me. Eye Level – 4’6” (Slightly below my 5'9" height sign1)

2. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

That means 1941-1985.

This plan has 24" curves, I believe. Those are very tight for Big Boys and Centennials. I would seriously suggest going around the walls.

I don't quite follow your use of John Armstrong's sliders. Track/operation and sceneic realism are opposite ends of one slider, and mainline running and switching are opposite ends of the second and last.

Long freight trains - Armstrong defines them as 20+ cars, which means a long freight is longer than one side of your room. However, I agree that a Big Boy needs that many car behind it to look right.

Passenger switching - A passenger station/yard for mainline trains will also take up a lot of space.
  3. Smallest radius is 24", largest is 26.25". I don't think I'll have any problems; I've ran both on as small as a 22" radius with no problems. 18" and the Big Boy dies..."Rated for 16.5" absolute minimum" my ass sign1