Denver and Northwestern RR (kind of)

Givens and Druthers

Denver and Northwestern RR (just for the layout)
Scale: HO Gauge: Standard

Prototype: None
Era: 1941-1985
Region: None
Railroad: Union Pacific with a bit of Great Northern (Empire Builder).
Space: 10X10, plan only uses 5X10.
Describe Space: My own personal bedroom! A track diagram is at the bottom.
Governing Rolling Stock: Union Pacific freight, passengers, Empire Builder (’nuff said.)

Relative Emphasis:

|V_____________________________________________|
Track/Operation-------------------------------Scenic realism
|______________________V_______________________|
Mainline Running-----------------------------------Switching

Operation Priorities:
Passenger Train Switching - Medium
Helper District Operations - Low
Main-Line Passenger Train Operation - High
Long Freight Train Operations - Medium
Engine Terminal Movements - Medium
Local Freight Operations - Medium
Typical operating Crew: Just me. Eye Level – 4’6” (Slightly below my 5'9" height sign1)

layoutplanci9.jpg

Triplex

Whenever the Big Boy was running to whenever the UP DD40s were retired.
That means 1941-1985.

This plan has 24" curves, I believe. Those are very tight for Big Boys and Centennials. I would seriously suggest going around the walls.

I don't quite follow your use of John Armstrong's sliders. Track/operation and sceneic realism are opposite ends of one slider, and mainline running and switching are opposite ends of the second and last.

Long freight trains - Armstrong defines them as 20+ cars, which means a long freight is longer than one side of your room. However, I agree that a Big Boy needs that many car behind it to look right.

Passenger switching - A passenger station/yard for mainline trains will also take up a lot of space.

Smallest radius is 24", largest is 26.25". I don't think I'll have any problems; I've ran both on as small as a 22" radius with no problems. 18" and the Big Boy dies..."Rated for 16.5" absolute minimum" my ass sign1