Delta 7 Shuttle

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by the mole, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, I have solved the hinge problem!

I call it the "Amazing Toothpick Hinge Method"...

Basically what I did was to insert about 1/2 inch toothpick ends into the bottom corners of each bay door (bottom edge where the grab handles are).

Using the small gaps already in place at the points on the front and rear of the shuttle, I widened them slightly to fit the toothpicks. However, I ran into trouble...

The toothpick was too long to go into the hole by the OMS pod end without bending the door!

So, I carefully cut a small channel in the side wall under the OMS pod. Just enough to fit the toothpick end into. I took a piece of scrap and then glued a cover into place, matching the seam lines on the texturing.

So now the bay door opens like it should, with no floppy hinges!

Pics when I can find my camera.... :oops:
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm anxious to see this! I thought about something along these lines, but I couldn't figure out how the rotation would work all the way around. I thought about using stiff wire.

I'm building the doors now (last parts - yah!) so I'd be glad to see a way around the strap hinges.

3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Amazing Toothpick Hinge Method

Okay, sorry for the delay- had to find where my children made off with my camera...

First, 1/2 of toothpick (narrower end) in either side of the bottom of the bay doors (edge with the grab handles)

View attachment 4039

Next, small hole in the circled area. Now this was here anyway on my build- dont know if it was sloppy work on my part, but there it was. Gradually increase size if necessary.

View attachment 4040

The opposite end of the cargo bay, opposite hole for the toothpick hinge. After looking at rwhitt's build, it's obvious that I should have built the crossbar inside the OMS assembly, but the instructions are kinda vauge at that step. Live and learn...

View attachment 4041

Now, since I have already attached the OMS/Engine assemly to the bay structure, it was neccessary to cut a small channel to fit the toothpick end into. If you planned ahead and used this technique, this step would (and should) be unnecessary. :oops:

View attachment 4042

However, there is a solution: Cut a piece of scrap to follow the tile structure on the OMS/Engine assembly side. Note this is just a rough fit shown, the final cut is much better....

View attachment 4043

So, there you have the essence of my solution. With a little judicious jiggling here and there, it works great.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      File size:
      35.6 KB
    • 2.JPG
      File size:
      57.9 KB
    • 3.JPG
      File size:
      62.5 KB
    • 4.JPG
      File size:
      53 KB
    • 5.JPG
      File size:
      54.3 KB
  4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Delta 7 Shuttle model

Since it's the title of this thread, I thought I'd show an actual Delta 7 shuttle model. After printing this six and a half years ago, I finally built it over the last couple of days.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

5. New Member

Where can I get a copy of the Delta 7 conversion of Discovery to Buran? Thanks.

NULLMOON Member

theres a discovery version of the shuttle with landing gear on the delta 7 gemmi disk
  7. jparenti

jparenti Member

Someone on here posted the Buran version of the Delta 7 shuttle once. I have the file, if no one objects to me reposting it. (It was a free model, anyway, and it has been posted before.)
    Also, if you want a Buran of much higher quality, Leo has a very fine one on his site and also on It's bigger, and there's an Energia to match.

Attached Files:

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Delta 7 Studios/Fiddlersgreen Discovery Card Model

Here´s a direct link to Fiddlersgreen for the FREE Discovery shuttle model, with the landing gear and the 'meatball' NASA logo:

However, the 'Enterprise' is rather incorrect in it´s tile pattern (the Enterprise had no ceramic tiles as it wasn´t meant for orbit space flights).
    This copy is also very fuzzy (low resolution).
    AXM Space Models (Alphonso X. Moreno) has a much better-looking 'Enterprise' with the proper insignias and coloring.

But the 'Discovery' model is OK - I have built an enlarged, laserprinted model of it, which looks just fine.
    One thing, though: if you build one of these Delta 7 shuttle models (derived from the 'Columbia' memorial model) the tail fin tilts too much forward - this is however very easily corrected if you add a little paper material under the leading edge of the fin or fold the bottom tabs slightly angled. Just a tip.

Bengt :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.