Delta 7 Shuttle

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by the mole, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Member

Thank you, I appreciate :wink: . For the names your right, the names of the next shuttles are informal, I didn't precised it but now it's corrected.
  2. jparenti

jparenti Member

Okay, I've gotten a portion of the large shuttle finished. I think I'll go back and do it again someday, since this is more of a test build, but the results are really impressive. I'm actually father along than this picture indicates. I have the left wing totally finished now.
    Most likely I'll paint it with an airbrush, since it's unadorned, but we'll see...
    Has anybody else tried this model yet?

Attached Files:

3. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Very nice job!

The sole thing that I would modify would be the nose; I prefer to built it using foam or a plastic ball.
    I have the file too. Your mighty job is giving me the impetus of building a shuttle for myself!
  4. jparenti

jparenti Member

I almost prefer the paper nose, just because people look at it and say, "How did you DO that?" :grin: I know some people epoxy it and sand it down, but I could never do that without screwing something up.
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

BIG Shimada Shuttle

Great work - it really looks good, especially the area behind the cockpit windows which has the proper, 'real' curve.
    The wings look really good too - in smaller card models they are often too flat with a much too sharp leading edge.

I have actually printed out the whole model on stiff card but I haven´t begun cutting it yet - but now that I see what can be done, I´ll probably start very soon. I´d also like to make a first 'test build' before attempting to colour it or add logos. I have thought about making it as the "Enterprise" which would be the easiest scheme, since it was almost all white.

I think the nose and the cockpit look very good.

All the best,
    Bengt :roll:
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow, that's impressive! Can't wait to see the finished product.

7. hpept

hpept Member

Go on with it jparenti,
    excellent build for an awesome model. It's a pity it does come only uncoloured.
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

BIG Shimada Shuttle Colour Scheme

Hi all,

This is how I plan to do my big Shimada shuttle - mostly white, with the underside and main engines black or grey:

I guess the logos (NASA 'worm' logo, flag, 'Enterprise' text. etc) could be copied from one of the Fortezza models and printed on thin copy paper and then applied to the model, using spray glue.
    Plus a white-painted wooden tooth pick or shashlik skewer stick as the nose probe.
    Landing gear would be really nice too - perhaps using big R/C scale model airplane wheels (Mustang, DC-3, Cub or similar)?

What do yous´ think of that?
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hey, Bengt!

What I wanna see is you make a giant 747 to go with this! :grin:

10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

NASA 747 Shuttle Carrier

Hey Rick,

You mean like the one hpept has built? That would be a real challenge - something for the garage.
    It would be rather fitting to the "Enterprise" - an interesting idea.

Btw, I have just begun cutting into the Shimada shuttle. I just have to figure out how to conceal the rather broad contour lines - perhaps white gouache paint combined with a little scalpel scraping and of course scoring slightly outside of the line.

All the best,
    Bengt :grin:
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Really BIG Shuttle Models - 1:4 Scale

Rick (and everyone else too, of course),

Talking about BIG space shuttle models - check this one out, a quarter scale model:

I found it on this excellent French site:
    which also have a lot of very interesting material, photos of all the orbiters, etc.

Think BIG!
    All the best,
    Bengt :roll:
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Wow that's one serious model!

Don't know if you ever saw this one:

Build and flown by regular folks (well, except for the fact that they are insane).

13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Big Flying Rocket Models

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that link - that´s a kind of insanity which I can understand very much. Right up my alley!
    I like the red 'Thunderbird 3' rocket, the colossal, thick, upscaled 'Fatboy' rocket and the huge 'Jack Jack Rocket' by Jim Groom. Amazing things!

I suppose they had rockets 'plastered' all over the city this weekend ? . .

Heads up,
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Ever done any flying models? I loved model rockets as a kid, and lately have started getting back into it with my son, though this kind of thing is far from anything I could conceive of doing!

15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Flying Models

Hi Rick,

Yes, I´m also building some flying models although they are not finished yet by a long shot.
    Not rockets, but WW I airplanes: a 1/4 scale Fokker D. I (span 1,80m), a 1/5 scale Morane Saulnier type L (span 2,20m), a 1/5 scale Thulin K fighter monoplane (span 1,80m) and three 1/6 scale airplanes (a Ö1 Tummelisa - Swedens first trainer, a Fokker E.III and a Fokker D.VIII/E.V).
    None of them nearly finished yet, although I have bought some methanol engines for them. Next summer will probably see the first R/C flight.

16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

ekuth, How goes the construction?

I'm at the point of doing the doors on mine and I've encountered one of your observed fit problems. I've only done one door and plan to re-do it now that I see what the problem (and hopefully the fix) is. He made the front end slope forward quite a bit from hinge point to the top, which I don't really understand as the bulkhead there does not slope. On the rebuild I'll cut it with less slope and see how that goes.

As for the rear part, I think the trouble you had must be that big beam across the rear bulkhead. Looking at the instruction drawings indicates that this goes behind the bulkhead. Those drawings leave a bit to be desired in many cases! In fact the ones for the doors show curving the things in the wrong direction!

I'm with you on the hinges. Ugh, they are awful! About 3 or 4 actuations and I'm sure they'll tear off. Plus they are just ugly and it looks like the doors will just flop around. I'm thinking about adapting some of the parts from the manipulator arm and make some real hinges. I know it won't be scale, but those provided straps can't possibly be either!

This has certainly been an interesting challenge. I've encounterd a number of areas of poor fit, at least some of which I don't think I've caused. And there are some results I'm not happy with (both fit issues and my own goofs), but all in all I like this model. Don't think I could do another one for a LONG time though!

I'm going to put the Unity ISS module in mine along with all the rest of the stuff, so part count wise I'm not even half way! But the hard stuff is done other than the doors, so I feel like it's down hill from here.

17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I agree, the instructions could use some work. They're spotting in several critical places and the illustrations can be really useless. The model is nice, but very challenging.

I havent quite figured out the hinge problem myself yet... still working on it.

I've been taking a break on it just to preserve my hair! I have one door left to build, and I'm debating whether or not I really want to build the Unity Module. I'll do the robotic arm, though.

Glad it wasnt just me with the door fit. Yup, that angle is too extreme, and unless you test fit it before actually finishing the door, you end up having to do serious modifications to the door and the bulkhead. :mad:

Those little grab handles drove me NUTS!!!!

And of course, there's the stack to build once it's done...
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I won't be doing the stack just now, I'll be suffering from Shuttle fatigue once this is done. Maybe I'll add them later. Time to move on to try some planes!

For future reference, which stack are you using, the one from JLeslie's site?

On another note, do you know if Fortezza is still active @ Marscenter? I think from my reading here he seems to have dropped off the radar. I was thinking I ought to drop a donation their way on this, but I didn't know if they are even still "in business" as it were.

19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Yup, using the one from Jleslie's site. On a side note, I sure hope he's found a new job... hate to see that happen.

I've sent a couple of questions Fortezza's way, but havent gotten any answers back, so I dont know if they're busy or what exactly... your guess is as good as mine. :confused:
  20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

You know, another alternative that has some attractiveness is to make the doors always open. I got to looking around to see what anyone over there might have done about the hinges and saw one really excellent example and I could see no hinges and am assuming he just glued the doors on in the open position.

Solves both the hinge and the fit problems! But it would still be nice to be able to close them.

I can't decide. Luckily I don't have to right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.