Delta 7 Shuttle

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by the mole, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Not that close though I hope! I was at the KSC a couple of weeks back and i can honestly say it was amazing the Saturn V rocket is soooooo huge its beyon belief
  2. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Delta 7 modified shuttle

These are pictures of my Antares 2M study model. I printed a modified Delta 7 shuttle papermodel and re-worked its tail to make it moke alike Buran.
    My shuttle design is based on Russian Buran vehicle, so I used STS design to get the correct shape.
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Antares 2M Orbiter

A very impressive and convincing re-colouring - well done!

Bengt :wink:
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Buran Model Print Colors

Hi all,

As this thread is now becoming a 'shuttle thread', I thought I´d ask if anyone is experiencing the same thing as I am:

When I print the "Buran" model pfd files, by Leo Cherkashyn, I get a BLUE color on the heatshield tile pattern.
    I rasterized the files in Photoshop (saved in tif) and tried to correct this blue color by changing the hue saturation and by adding red and a bit yellow. I also made the files slightly darker.
    But the blue color is still there - it looks very warm-grey on the screen but the prints still display this cyan-blue color.
    Very annoying.

Has anybody else experienced this? I usually get black or neutral grey on other model sheets, for example the Delta 7 Columbia shuttle, which I in fact use as a reference sheet for the different kinds of paper that I use.

This is what I want - dark, neutral grey and near-black:

Also, compare this with the real thing - the full-size Buran at the Molniya plant - which has a very deep black tile color:

Btw, do you see the resemblance to the "Enterprise" on page 10 of this thread? This shuttle also used to be white around the 'eyes'.

Tips are most welcome!

I´ll continue trying,
    Bengt :wink:
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Buran Model Print Colors - OK

I changed my printer profile to Adobe RGB and corrected the colors slightly - now it´s perfect, neutral grey and black.
    My fault, not Leo´s.

Bengt :roll:
  6. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Did I see the launch.....

Technically...Yes I did...

But not from where I wanted....

I got the tickets for the public viewing area (6 miles from the pad...Hearing
    damage area I have been told)

I got there the 26th for a 27th launch but it was struck by lightning the 26th
    so launch was scrubbed for 2 days while electrical components were checked out (The most pwerfull strike ever recorded on a launch pad...and this in the
    Lightning Capital of the USA...Definetly not luck of the Irish)

By the time the 2 days were up FL was bracing for Storm Ernesto, Nasa decided to bring the Shuttle to the VAB for safe keeping.That meant an 8 day downtime to disconnect and unload the OMS and APU fuels....

About a mile from the pad the weather forecast changed...the crawler was put into reverse and sent back to the pad to be connected.

It was still not ready till thursday the 7th, but the APU issue flared up.

Friday the 8th APU issue over ruled, I was finally at the viewing site and the
    ET Sensor in the Hydrogen was deemed out of order, T minus 40 mins the launch was scrubbed.

Saturday the 9th....Well I had to fly home that afternoon....We were at Orlando International Airport and we got to the top roof of a car park and saw it fly from 50+ miles away.....

Absolutely a spectacular scene, I am so not even slightly disappointed at seeing it from the airport as the rest of the KSC as well as Florida itself was

I highly recommend and I will do it again once I save a few Euro's for it

Thanks John John
  7. adensley

adensley Member

Hi guys, a little Buran background if you like.
    The Gorky Park Buran is not the flight version, or rather it is one of the Burans that was partially finished but not flown.
    There are several others in storage or disrepair but unfortunately the sole orbital version was totally destroyed when the hangar roof collapsed in the assembly building seen in Eukuths picture. I have recently found pictures of the wreckage that you can see parts of the Buran in the debris, so she is now a confirmed total loss....:(

The test version, known as the Buran Analogue had four jet engines and was retired after a few hundred hours testing. It has since been on display in Sydney Australia and Dubhai in the middle East, but I think it may be back in Russia now.

Molynia was developing a later version Buran with podded engines for flight after reentry and a different rear fuselage called the OK-92.

I have many good reference pictures to the Buran, Energya booster and Polyus that I have found online.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I sure hope the design team for the Buran building and Buran itself were not one and the same. =X
  9. McPeek

McPeek Member

Here are a few links to some pictures as adensley mentioned for anyone interested.

Overhead view-Link Here-

Frontal view-Link Here-
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Almost makes you want to cry seeing pics like that.

11. Michiru-Kaiou

Michiru-Kaiou Member

A few additions to the Buran background:
    All remaining Buran hardware is now property of Kazakhstan.
    The test article OK-GLI currently is in Bahrain until a legal battle clears up and the Auto & Technik Museum in Sinsheim, Germany can move it into the museum.

best wishes Michiru
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

McPeek, Russell, Michiru,

What a mess in that plant (the "Buran") and what a shame on such a fine bird . . .

I think the most interesting thing so far about the "Buran" test shuttles is the fact that some of them actually took off from an ordinary runway, using four turbo jet engines.
    Imagine cruising steadily up to a high oxygen limit altitude (like a Concorde) and THEN use the main engines to boost it out to orbit - would that be possible?

Here´s some more info on the "Enterprise" space shuttle:

Bengt :grin:
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That is very nice - thanks for the link Bengt! (Did I just make a rhyme?) :grin:

15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Vowel Rhyme

Almost, Rick,

The quality of the vowel sound in "Bengt" is very similar to the one in "fang" or in the 'southern brawl' word "thang" (for "thing").
    Funny name, ain´t it?

Nice try, though! (did I just make a rhyme there? . .) :grin:

All the best from the cold North
    where Polar Bears roam the streets at night,
    Bengt :grin:
  16. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

So it sounds more like 'Bank(t)' then? That's cool!

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

That´s right - you got it!

Bengt (derived from the medieval name "Benedict" = "The Holy One")

Next lesson: my last (family) name, which my grandfather, the policeman, took for himself.
  18. Michiru-Kaiou

Michiru-Kaiou Member

Yeah, a sorry mess, but the worst part about it was, that seven people got killed in that cave-in...

The only test article that ever flew with the jet engines was said OK-GLI.

And it would not be possible, at least not with the design of a shuttle.
    With something more similiar to White Knight and SpaceShipOne it might funtion.

By the way, a nice website about Buran, Energija, Mriya (transport plane), BOR (lifting body test article) and Polyus (military first payload of Energija):

best wishes Michiru
  19. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

A nice french site, despite some misconceptions ( e.g., there were no offcial Ptichka nor Buriya names for any Buran spacecraft; Vadim Lukasevitch, webmaster of and Buran technician, told me that any name for Burans were totally unnofficial); Nice - very nice - pictures, tough...
    Thanks for the link!!!
  20. New Member

Thank you, I appreciate :wink: . For the names your right, the names of the next shuttles are informal, I didn't precised it but now it's corrected.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.