Delta 7 Shuttle

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by the mole, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dardard

dardard Member

Nice job on this huge model.
    For the 1/50 version it is almost 50 A4 pages, so twice the size makes a lot of card and paper!

This model is nice to build with realistic cockpit shape.
    I started to build it at 1/50, but unfortunatly, my 8 months old son decided to test the solidity of the heatshield before the launch.
    Results : there was a shuttle.

Morality : when your child make no sound, better run!
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Instructions for Paper LEM by Hisato Shimada

THANKS for taking the extra trouble on my part - I´ve got them all printed out now.
    Remarkable model.

Is there ANYTHING you need? - don´t hesitate to ask. I hope I can help.

Best regards,
    Bengt :grin:
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

STS OV-101 "Enterprise" 1:50 or 1:24 Scale

Well - perhaps I should think twice before enlarging it to 1:32 (or 1:16!)
    (It says 1:50 scale on Shimada´s home page and on the model sheets!?)
    This sure is a VERY BIG card model. Perhaps the wife and kids would like some space to move around as well.
    Perhaps I could build it in the basement?
    Here´s a quick joke: a New Yorker was asked what "debasement" means. He replied truthfully: -"Dat´s where de oyl buyner is!"

What a good idea to build it as the "Enterprise"! It´s the only one that hasn´t been modeled yet.
    Ein wunderschönes Modell! Viel Glück mit der Bau!

I suppose that will make it a lot easier to 'paint' it because there wasn´t such a detailed tile pattern on this first test model (check with the Marscenter shuttle info page through the WayBack machine) - very roughly, you only have to paint the area on the underside of the cockpit, the window frames, the underside of the wings, the leading edge of the tail fin and the engine bells dark grey-black, and the nose tip, the leading edge of the wing and the OMS pod engine bells grey plus add a downward-slanting white probe spear to make it look right.
    And of course the name "Enterprise" and the NASA worm logos on the cargo bay doors (fore and aft, respectively), the "United States" text and the small flag on the sides above the wing plus the NASA worm logo and US flag emblem on the top side of the wing.
    I hope that covers everything except the landing gear and hatches?

Same, same but different:

Sometimes the test pilots crash your babies - same thing happened at Edwards Air Force base with the million dollar X-2 space plane . . .

That´s a very fine and true poem by T. E. Lawrence - we have too many "day dreamers" in important leading positions all over the world (no names).
    IF I print the big shuttle, I will use simple drawing card stock - not the expensive thick matte photo paper. Thanks for the advice!

Best regards to you both,
    Bengt :smile:
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

BIG Shimada Shuttle

I had it printed out - God help me! (I see a divorce around the corner). I enlarged it (to 1:32, I think) and I now have all the 62 sheets layed out - what a task.

I´d like to try to build it as the "Enterprise" test shuttle (even if it´s called an OV, this was never an Orbiter).
    I think I might be able to scale up the logos and stuff from the early Marscenter shuttle models (Challenger or Columbia).

I really like your cockpit interior, with lights and all. Did you scratch build everything?
    One more: Do you plan on making the full cargo bay? It looks like something could be done about the bottom formers of the fuselage,
    if you´d like a perfectly even round internal shape.

Well, this doesn´t exactly help my build schedule - I just couldn´t help myself . . .

Bengt :roll:
  5. jparenti

jparenti Member

Technique? I builds them as I sees them (or download them, anyway). :grin:
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to decipher any design programs (which is a shame, because I'm currently trying to figure out how to build an Orion nuclear pulse spacecraft model). I am going to build the big, undecorated shuttle, and maybe paint it by hand or just leave it as is.
    Wish I had the internal cockpit parts as a parts sheet. Then I'd be able to build it, too. (sighs)
  6. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Is the 1:50 scale model a free download, I followed the link on the previous page but it lead me to a site that was in Japanese and I couldn't get much further.
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hisato Shimada BIG Orbiter Model

Hello GT5500,

You were right about that - it´s a dead end. it´s not possible to download, it seems.
    Instead, try saving the four .pdf files that 'edkeffel' posted on page 5 of this thread - they open up without any problems.

There are three documents for the parts (62 pages altogether) and an instruction/assembly guide (21 pages).
    I enlarged and printed the parts to thicker card stock and printed the guide pages to a simple copy paper in regular size.

Good luck and happy building!
    Bengt :wink:
  8. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Wonderfull job!!!
  9. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

sdk2knbk (Scott),

Thanks for posting the LEM. It's a beautiful model. I'd read about it here on Cardmodels, and haven't been able to find it anywhere. Much appreciated.

Steve Austin
  10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

sdk2knbk (Scott),

Thanks for posting the LEM. It's a beautiful model. I'd read about it here on Cardmodels, and haven't been able to find it anywhere. Much appreciated.

Steve Austin
  11. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

The Giant Shuttle build

I wish I could take credit for that giant shuttle build, but it's not mine.:oops: I must not have been clear enough on my previous post. Those pictures are of a German builder's model I found on the page that I listed. He also provides a link to (I think) the same Japanese page discussed elsewhere where you can still download the STS and LEM files. (I didn't try since I already have them both.) As for the LEM files, you're all welcome.

Bengt, no problem on the LEM instructions, converting them only took a few minutes, and you're very welcome.

The German site the giant STS is on, as well as a build of Ralph's N1;

Scott K.
  12. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, I finally finished the project and here's some pics of the finished work:

View attachment 3345

View attachment 3346

LoL. Okay, in my wildest dreams, but I thought you might enjoy some of the pics I got from my friends at JSC. :wink:

Attached Files:

13. dardard

dardard Member

Yeah, great shots !
    And maybe an idea of diorama if someone is foolish enough to make the launch pad.

Seriously, it makes me think of something easier, the shuttle and booster during the flight, with bright white leds inside the nozzles, some kind of translucent silicone with piece of yellow colour inside for the shuttle engines and foam or something else for the booster.
    Electrical wires will be hidden inside the booster fumes, as the supports for the all thing.
    With an aerial view of JSC as base.

Why not one day
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

German Site

The site which you referred to comes from Leipzig, in eastern Germany (former GDR):

if you click "Modellbau" (Model building), you arrive at the site with the Shimada Shuttle and the huge rocket by Ralph Currell.
    However, even if the link to Shimada´s page works OK, it´s not possible to download the Shuttle from that page.

So, edkeffel did a great job of posting them here (on page 5 of this long thread) - thanks, edkeffel!

And thanks, Scott, for posting the LEM files and the instruction file in a good file format!
    Bengt :)
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Discovery Launch

Hey, ekuth,

You sure worked fast since your last post! Seriously, great shots - very detailed. Keep them coming.

Somebody already HAS - I have seen it somewhere on our sister Forum: about a year ago.
    It´s VERY large and he had to rebuild it once when the whole structure collapsed. Impressive card model, to say the least.

Bengt :grin:
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

"Enterprise" Up Close

Hi all,

I think I will try to build the BIG all-white Hisato Shimada shuttle looking something like this:

If I do, I can keep most of the fuselage white and I don´t even have to do the vernier thrusters on the nose, which weren´t built to be operational.
    It would be really nice if I could manage to convert the pdf files to rasterized Photoshop tif.s and apply tile patterns and logos - I think I´ll try.

The "Enterprise" orbiter was used for free-flight glide approaches and a series of five test landings on Edwards base in California in August-October 1977 and the main engines weren´t functional for orbital take-off.
    The name for the orbiter should have been "Constitution" (in honor of the US bicentenary from 1776) but Star Trek fans urged president Ford to name the first Space Shuttle after the spacecraft of the well-known TV series.

The unmanned Soviet shuttle "Buran" ("Snowstorm") was, more or less, 'copied' from the "Enterprise" concept.

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Buran Café

Hi all,

A bit of Buran trivia;

I found this interesting page while searching for background info - it appears that the Buran shuttle was transported to Gorky Park in Moscow in 1994, to be painted in the old CCCP livery and become some sort of astronaut, sorry cosmonaut, café:

I wonder what happened to it?
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Test-flight Buran

Hi all,

Here´s something else I didn´t know - the Buran was made in a version with four turbo jet engines that could TAKE OFF from an ordinary airfield, like a jet airliner - click "Buran orbiter":

Molniya is the Russian company that produced the "Buran" Space Shuttles, among other very interesting things.

Bengt :wink:
  19. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I know there are so much better pics around...but..I took this one for STS-115...

John John

Attached Files:

• b.jpg
      File size:
      74.3 KB
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

STS-115 Launch

John John,

Were you actually THERE to see the launch in person and to take the pictures yourself?
    Lucky guy . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.