Delta 7 Shuttle

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by the mole, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Large Shuttle

Has anyone here ever taken a shot at building Hisato Shimada's 1/50 scale shuttle? I had forgotten downloading it, and came across it while rearranging my space paper models directory. It's all white, but is HUGE, and consists of 62 pages of parts, and 21 pages of instructions. Unfortunately, the address ( no longer works, and the files don't come up in the Wayback machine, either. He also had a good sized model of the LEM's ascent stage, also in all white. (That one looks a bit more manageable, I might try building it sometime myself.)

Scott K.
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

1:50 Scale Shuttle Model by Hisato Shimada

Now this is very interesting. I have never heard of or seen this model.
    I tried to Google for it but came up with nothing.

62 pages of parts - gosh! (as Goofy used to say) - that model must be superdetailed.

Have you got any hint as to where to look for it?

Bengt :roll:
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Actually, the caption under the photo says 1/50 scale... but it's a very nice model, nonetheless!

I've been banging my head against the cargo doors myself... 4 hours worth of work for one door last night. GAHHHHHH!!!!!

And I thought the engine cluster was bad. That only took 2 hours per engine.

I'll post some shots later.
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

1:50 AND 1:25 Scale Orbiter

Hi ekuth,

Sorry, wrong picture. If you click "Aerospace" and look at the picture in the lower left hand corner, you´ll see a bigger model (1:25 scale) which hangs horizontally on a rod.
    That´s the big one.

Bengt :wink:

PS. Good luck with the cargo bay doors!
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

There are some pictures of the Johnson Space Center models there, where the astronauts train.
    Now imagine a card model 1:50, as Scott refered to. And a 1:25? I don't want to even think about it! (Be careful with what you wish for, as the saying goes).
  7. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

paper STS

I think that I have these files.
    Tell me if these are the files that you were atalking about.

junior (edkeffel) from BRAZIL

Attached Files:

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Advanced 1:50 Scale Orbiter Card Model

Thanks Junior,

Great - I´ve got to try this one, in 1:32 scale.

It looks quite advanced and it´s got a very nice wing and cockpit profile.
    The guide even recommends the proper thickness of the paper/card to use.
    I really like the way the crew compartment is built up, the templates for all the windows and the egress hatch. And the construction of the position thrusts in the nose - amazing precision.
    But it seems you have to add your own cockpit interior and landing gear, and of course some kind of tile pattern, the NASA logos, flags etc, etc.
    I suppose this could quite easily be enlarged from Fortezza´s models - copy and steal, that´s the way to do it!

This is a very interesting model. I will definately try it.

Good work, edkeffel - obrigado!
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shimada´s Lunar Module Ascent Stage Model

sdk2knbk (what a name!),

Do you think you could post the pdf´s for the Lunar Module ascent stage - I should really like to take a look at it and compare it to the enlarged U-Don Lunar Module that I´m building in 1:32 scale.
    Do you know the scale of that one?

If it looks good, I guess an enlarged descent stage could be made from the U-Don model to go with it.

Bigger is better (and more detailed),
    Bengt :grin:
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Attached Files:

11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Attached Files:

12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Wow, ekuth,

You have done a wonderful job of the cargo bay doors! They look so smooth - how did you get them to stay in shape?

Very nice pictures too,
  13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks Bengt. It's a chore, but I'm making myself finish this critter. (I have to by Christmas- it's a gift for my friends at Johnson Space Center.)

I actually had very little trouble with getting the bay doors to hold the proper curve- they are well designed with three internal curved braces as well as the two on the outside that are visible on the ends.

I curled the doors around a medium size wooden dowel and then gently "unfurled" the curve to match the curve of the bracing. I figured it would be easier to ease an overcurving into the proper shape than try to add to the curve. (Does that make any sense?)

With a little gentle pressure they stayed in place nicely. The actual trouble came once I tried to fit these little wonders to the shuttle... and found I had some trimming to do both to the doors and to the shuttle.

A little sharp Exacto blade work later and it gives a snug fit.
  14. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I also did sir ekuth's method of patching up seams on the Marscenter Shuttle when I build it earlier this year, but I did it one step further...

Instead of printing it to ordinary paper, i used different kinds of textures to simulate the different kinds of TPS on the STS's Skin...

And for that, I had to redraw the entire pattern of the TPS (well, the top of the wings and the entire empanage at least) to get the "skinning" right...

and for the bottom, the Marscenter Shuttle's tile patterns are just plain wrong... And for that I used the downloadable vehicle schematics from NASA's human spaceflight site... I just reversed the colors of the image to get the right color, then some little editing, then I glued the entire bottom pattern to the model....

I'll post some pics of my build of Atlantis for this this weekend...

But honestly, I'm nowhere finished yet... But at least I have the entire airframe ready, the only things left are the cargo bay (re) skins, detail bits, the shuttle's ET umbilical plugs (specifically, the doors), the SRB-ET stack and my scratchbuild retractable landing gear...

I just want my model that is removable from the stack and can be displayed either when its sitting on the pad, on orbit, "re-entry" (or basically, all closed up), or landing... :-D
  15. Hans Christian

And also, after finishing Atlantis, I'll build again the entire fleet (including Atlantis, with the current build being destined to be included in the Marscenter ISS model)... with corrections included on all shuttle models (including correction tile patterns on Columbia and possibly, Challenger)

And i'll also try something "drastic" cutting and gluing INDIVIDUAL tile square detail... :-D
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shuttle Fleet and International Space Station

Hello Hans Christian,

You sure are an ambitious card modeller!
    I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Working away in snail pace,
    Bengt :wink:
  17. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Can you document for us here where they did not fit? Perhaps those of us doing this later can make adjustments prior to assmebly.

18. Hans Christian

Hehehe!!! I've certainly learned a lot with my Current build of Atlantis, and I'm really looking forward for building the whole fleet... :-D
  19. jparenti

jparenti Member

Congrats, ekuth. I've tried twice (unsuccessfully, I may add) to get farther than the cockpit attachment and the engine block. When I mated the cockpit to the cargo bay, the wings did not fit correctly. And of course, then the engine block would not fit... (Arrrg!) The Buran I did is much more forgiving when applying the skin to the wings, which is where I think I screwed up...
    I finished my Buran in three days (not because I'm impatient, but because it was so much fun to build!). Wish I could repaint it to match the American shuttles... :grin:
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shuttle Repaint

It would be nice to be able to do this. I was thinking about it when I examined the amazing 1:50 shuttle model by Hisato Shimada yesterday evening.
    I suppose it could be done if you pick out the individual parts (from say one of the Fortezza shuttle models), enlarge them and work in layer technique in Photoshop CS and copy and paste the patterns onto prepared rasterized documents (not pdf´s) in exactly the same scale.
    I imagine that you could 'trace' the skin patterns to fit the desired model sheet.
    Hans Christian!
    Is this the way you work? Please share your technique - thanks.

I´ve got so much to learn,
    Bengt :grin:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.