Delta 7 Shuttle

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by the mole, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I'm currently building the Discovery version of Fortezza's shuttle fleet; it's definately both the most accurate and the most challenging build I've ever attempted. The amount of patience and precision required is daunting.

I also agree with Bengt- with care you can eliminate the central line. I also used another technique- by printing out a duplicate page of the nose assembly I was able to cut out individual tiles from the nearby area and then paste those over the lines. This not only neatly disguises the lines, but it gives a great 3d effect. See below for shots of my progress with the shuttle.

This is a great model, but not for beginners. I've had a fair deal of experience and there have been points where I've had to walk away to keep from tearing the model apart in frustration. Some of the details, such as the thrust nozzles Bengt mentioned, are virtually impossible to do at this scale. (At least for me, anyway). But if you have the patience, it makes a fantastic build. :grin:

View attachment 3258

View attachment 3259

View attachment 3260

View attachment 3261

View attachment 3262

Attached Files:

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Attached Files:

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

ekuth, that looks great! Neat idea about the tiles at the seam - will have to remember to experiment with that on some test pages first.

A question about the nose - it looks like it might come out rough if you don't use some sort of filler - did you do that?

4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

LOL. Define "filler"...

The nose can look pretty rough if you don't take care. What I did was to match the seams as closely as I could, patching from the inside. Once dry, I filled in the seam gaps with Elmers, let dry again and then painted the area grey using some waterbased acrylics. I think it came out fairly well.

Although I didn't do it at the time, it might be a good idea to use some tissue paper to help form out the very tip from the inside and remove any "bumpiness".
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Marscenter Discovery Space Shuttle Model

Way to go, ekuth,

A VERY nice model - beatiful build!
    I especially like the rounded leading edge of the tail fin - I must do a new leading edge on my 1:72 scale "Atlantis" shuttle. This is how it should look.

Re. the nose: did you try matching the serrated tiling pattern on the original sheets? I´m not there yet.

All the best,
    Bengt :grin:
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yeah, I just looked back at your pics and noticed - it looks a lot better than I would expect those joints to look if done "stock".

7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks, it's coming along.

I err... thought about following the serrated pattern, but in the interests of my sanity and eyesight, took small liberties and patched where I thought it fit. :roll:
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

@bengt: I got the rounded look on the tail fin by curling that edge around a length of coathanger. Very very gently curling. I did this before doing the detail cuts around the glue tabs and scoring the fold lines. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Discovery Tail Fin Leading Edge

I see, ekuth,

That´s a neat trick - I´ve got to try it. Thanks.
    I realize I have to completely rebuild the fin now to make it look this good.

The wing really came out very smooth on your model - did you have problems applying the 'skin'?

Bengt :roll:
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks, bengt... the fact that you're saying that means that I succeeded in covering up my mistakes~! :roll:

The area I had difficulty with is the trailing edge with the grey panels- no matter how I tried, they just would NOT cooperate. I had to cut them individually and glue them one by one from the inside, fill the cracks and color.
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Plan of Later Space Shuttles

Hi all shuttle constructors,

Here´s a very nice plan (side view with tiling placement/external insulation) for the OV 103-105 Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour space shuttles that I found somewhere.
    Save the .pdf to your desktop and print it out as large as you can.

Bengt :-D

Attached Files:

12. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Very nice model.
    By my turn, I dont assemble the rounded nose using paper; I prefer to use styrene foam spheres to do the job; And I prefer to use foam to make the front of the OMS pods. The SSME exaust nozzles I make with plastic cups. Once you found cups that fits into the scale, they looks great.
  13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I assume you mean the LEADING edges of the wing . . .

I can see that those might present a problem, being shaped at different angles and having to be curled or rolled in different directions.
    Probably very wise to cut them up and treat them like you would on the real thing, one by one. Just like you did.

This is becoming a very good build tutorial . . . thanks, ekuth, for your efforts!
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Plastic and Paper

If I were the 'paper purist' which I´m not, I might say you´re not building a card model . . .

But I won´t say that. I think it´s OK to mix materials and techniques and aim for the best possible end result.

Besides styrene foam, paper and for example Elmer´s glue can also be combined to make a 'mould' and form round shapes or spheres.

Good work, edkeffel,
  15. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening to All,

For Bengt and Ekuth, I just had to chime in. Beautiful jobs on your Shuttles. Those are really intricate models, and I admire your work.

Steve Austin
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shuttle Pictures

Thanks Steve,

Those are very kind words - I hope ekuth reads this.

I just have to add that the pictures in my post are not of MY shuttle model - I´m nowhere near completion yet.

But I´m SLOWLY getting there . . !

All the best,
    Bengt :roll:
  17. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

I just completed a CZ-2F Shezhou paper model. I put some plastic headlight-shaped nosecones from old rocket-toys I bought sometime ago to build the engine noozles. They were somewhat bigger than the original ones, but since the model is just a black-and-white study model (printed in plain paper rather than glossy) I accepted the innacuracy.
    As soon as possible I will put the pics of this CZ-2F and Antares 2M (the delta-7 derived model that I assembled).

greetings. Nice posts form you all.
  18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

@Ekuth, and my friend Bengt...
    Congratulations on the fine models!
    I cannot help thinking that those appear as museum quality models/tutorials.

@ Steve Austin... anything related to 6 million dollars?

@ Edkeffel... muy bien amigo mio! Keep building like that! I have found that at least in this forum, it's OK to use more than paper (but I haven't heard anybody use **plastic**... wonder why, hahaha!). Why don't you upload some photos for all to check your technique?
  19. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

In the strict sense of the word, I am not a paper model maker: I indeed use other materials for building shapes that are impossible - or, at least, too difficult to build with paper sheets. It is simply not worthwhile to struggle with with paper when you can just use foam or plastico to get the adequate forms required for rouded surfaces.
    And, since almos all of my models are interior-detailed, the windows must have to be moulded in transparent plastic, of course.

Rounded Vostok-type descent vehicle R-200 (my materials processing spacecraft):

My manned transfer 3-crew vehicle to space stations, Venus MXT-A (all paper, but windows and some minor parts in foam and plastic):

Venus MXT-A descent vehicle - command module with its crew of epoxi-moulded astronauts (scale 1:62)

Soviet Lunar Module L-3 (paper, foam, toothpicks etc.)

Russian Soyuz FG launcher (paper):

Drawing of Shenzhou 6 spacecraft for anyone interested in the Chinese spacecraft:
  20. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

The pictures, directly:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.