decoders

bspun2

Mar 5, 2007
i was wondering will other decoders work with my mrc system?
example: atlas,digix track,and so on ............

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
bspun2:wave:, If you have MRC's: Podigy, Prodigy express, Prodigy Advance or Prodigy Advance 2, ANY DCC decoders or sound decoders WILL work:thumb:. :D -Deano

Dorkmaster Flek

Jan 5, 2007
Toronto, ON
If you're referring to decoders in your engines, then any DCC decoders will work with your DCC system. That's the beauty of DCC. The communication signal between the command station and the decoders in the engines is standardized by the NMRA, so any DCC command station will work with any DCC decoder in any engine. If I had my way, they'd standardize the whole bus system for handling commands/feedback. :p

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
DorkmasterFlek is pretty much correct, but I've found that some decoders are more compatible than others, even though they are supposed to follow the same NMRA conventions. Particularly among older decoders you might find discounted in hobbyshops or on eBay. Overall, I like the Digitrax and Lenz decoders (and I have a MRC system). They seem to work the best. I've never tried the Atlas decoders.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The NMRA specs have made most newer decoders compatible with any system, but be aware that system components (like throttles, boosters, or "command stations") may not be compatible. That is, you can't necessarily expand your Lenz system using Digitrax components.

Andrew