Decoder Programming Tools

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
All,

There are several programming tools out there to assist with setting up, reading back and storing CV information. Programming through the throttle works fine, but is time consuming, and more importantly, does not keep a backup of the eventual configuration of the decoder.

Does anyone in this community have any experience with these tools that you are able to share?

Thanks,
Fluesheet

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I have heard nothing but praise for Decoder Pro (open source, Windows, Linux). Requires a computer interface for your DCC system which are available for Lenz, NCE, Digitrax, but not for Prodigy and Bachmann. Don't have an operational layout at this time so I can't tell you anything from personal experience.

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
I'm a big fan of DecoderPro too. Used it on my Lens-100 set. Dramatically easier than through-the-throttle programming. Once I get the NCE setup all hooked up properly, linked in, etc. I'll use it again immediately.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
OK, that's the one I was looking at as well. Having a program that not only makes the programming easier, but stores your CV configuration seems like a win to me.

The downside is that I have a Digitrax Empire Builder, which according to the site "Note that this program can't read decoder CVs if you have an Empire Builder (DB150)". As I program my sound decoder, I can see where that would come in very handy - if for nothing else to get the factory settings before experimenting.

Thanks for the feedback.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
That's always an option, but you lose a lot of work that way. That's why I'd like to have a configuration "picture" of sorts (basically version control). A notebook would also work, but that would require that actually I write down each and every change - something I found I'm not real consistent with, especially when experimenting :).

I didn't really think this was necessary until working with a sound unit - many more CV's to fine tune.