Decoder in Bachmann saddle-tank loco

Genetk44

May 14, 2005
Montreal
I just hard-wired a decoder into my Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0 dockside
saddle tank loco. Unfortunately it doesn't work. The headlight turns on
and off when I key the headlight button on my throttle, and the system
reads the type of decoder on the programming track...but thats it.
Its a digitrax decoder and I'm useing a NCE Powercab system. Any
thoughts???

Cheers
Gene

BobGui

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary Alberta
Before anything else I'd check that the solder connections didn't contact anything else and check the pickups for any warpage.

First thought that popped into my head.

Genetk44

May 14, 2005
Montreal
Thanks Bob....I did check the solder connections with a magnefier...couldn't see any improper or bad connections...I removed the decoder and the loco again ran perfectly in DC.
Its weird...between the lights working and the screen on my DCC throttle showing the system was reading the decoder and no smoke or other apparent signs of a short... I would have thought all was well...except the loco wouldn't move...and I tried 2 different decoders too.
weird!
Cheers
Gene

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Gene,

Does the 0-6-0 have a circuit board that you wired to? I've done a couple of pieces of Bachmann track equipment, soldering to the circuit board, and had nothing but problems. I ripped out the board, wired direct, and no problems!

I'd also try to check the decoder in another loco, and see if it's working. It's possible you've got a dud.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Yup..it has a board that I had to wire towall1

I'd definitely try ditching the board and just wiring direct. Like I say, I've done 3 pieces of track equipment, and now that I think of it, a 44-tonner too. Same thing in all cases - acted squirrely when I wired it to the board, worked fine when I wired direct

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
I would say that you don't have the motor leads wired right. That is if the decoder is good.
Do you a have a decoder tester, If so I would make sure the decoder is OK then move on to the install questions.
Right rail is RED. The red wire that was at that motor connection should be wired with a orange wire coming from the decoder. Left rail is BLACK, The black wire that was at that motor connection should be wired with a gray wire from the decoder. The White wire is the ground ( or function wire for the front headlight) The Blue wire is hot wire, and is hot at all times. The white wire just completes the connection.
Same thing for the yellow wire, it is for the rear light.
Some time you have to cut some traces on the original light board to get the connections made.
Got any photos?
Might be able to see just what is wrong.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
If it's wired correctly, you might try cutting off the capacitors on the board. I did this to my B'manns and they settled down and work perfectly.
Did these boards have a plug-n-play plug...?? If so, you should have gotten a D'trax decoder with the P&P harness. Saves a lot of grief....