Decoder for Atlas Classic GP-35?

beezerv

I have an Atlas Classic GP-35 (N scale) and have been unable to find a decoder designed for it. Has anyone installed a decoder in this type of engine or can someone please suggest a decoder that I can use in this engine? Thanks for any advice.

Beezer

cnw1961

Digitrax has a board replacement decoder for the GP35, DN163A0. Did you see the decoder listing on their website: http://www.digitrax.com/decsel.php ? If your GP35 is too old to have a PC board (like the old AtlasGP7) you can hardwire a small decoder like the Digitrax DZ123. It may need some milling of the frame. If necessary, I can post some pics of a GP7 where I milled the frame to install a DZ123.

beezerv

I checked out that list and it lists the DN163AO next to gp35 but when you click on that decoder it actually doesnt list the gp35 as one of its engine types. Weird. Either way the engine has two small boards for the lights rather than one long board.

I am affraid I dont have the experience or tools to mill the frame. But I found that southern digital sells a modified frame for 10 bucks. I think I will get that and the Digitrax DZ143. Do you think that will work?

cnw1961

If your engine has two separate light boards, you can’t use a board replacement decoder like the DN163A0. The DZ143 is listed in the selection of decoders for the frame of Southern Digital. I can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work. A frame like this Southern Digital’s is the way to go, if you don’t want to modify the frame yourself.

In case you change your mind and give the milling of your frame a try (the only tool you need is a file), I post these pics of the GP7 with the DZ123. If it goes wrong, you can still buy the Southern Digital frame.

Attachments

• gp7-dec-side.jpg
    gp7-dec-side.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 97
  • gp7-dec-top.jpg
    gp7-dec-top.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 103

beezerv

Now that I look at it, it looks like I only need to file off a small part of the frame. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find a file somewhere. I'm new to DCC. Thanks for being so helpful.

beezerv

Thanks for the links. Hopefully with that as a guide I can get it right. I'll let you know how it goes.