December 2004 Model Railroader

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I just bought the December 2004 Issue today and what did you all think about the December issue? I really enjoyed the Mainline operation on a king-sized layout. I think that is one of the most beautiful layouts i have seen in a long time in the magazine. Beautiful scenery, detail, and all the different equipment. I thought this issue was one of the best i have seen in the past three years. But that is my own opinion. Have a Safe & Wonderful Week Everyone :wave: :wave:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I picked up my copy at lunch today and read through while eating. It is a pretty decent issue, one I've been anticipating since last month after seeing the teaser about the big Penn Central layout. Ken McCorry's layout is amazing, not just for its huge size but also for its quality. I recall the 1999 feature on his layout was more thorough in its photo tour, giving you a better idea of what its like.

I guess I was a little greedy. I hoped for even more pictures of Penn Central equipment on his railroad. Ah well, what there is is cool and good inspiration for me. Personally I rather like the idea that what must be the world's largest home model railroad has a Penn Central theme! :) I understand from the article that he's going Conrail though!
Ralph

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I picked up my copy at lunch today and read through while eating. It is a pretty decent issue, one I've been anticipating since last month after seeing the teaser about the big Penn Central layout. Ken McCorry's layout is amazing, not just for its huge size but also for its quality. I recall the 1999 feature on his layout was more thorough in its photo tour, giving you a better idea of what its like. I guess I was a little greedy. I hoped for even more pictures of Penn Central equipment on his railroad. Ah well, what there is is cool and good inspiration for me. Personally I rather like the idea that what must be the world's largest home model railroad has a Penn Central theme! I understand from the article that he's going Conrail though!
Ralph

WOW :eek: , next he will be going to Norfolk Southern. I watched a video of his layout on Trains.com and it looked pretty interesting and that made me want to buy the magazine even more. I just can't get over the size of the layout.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
There's 2 things I wish MRR would do - more pix and more detailed information. Lately I feel like everything in there is just a teaser for the World's Greatest Hobby campaign.

I guess what I'm really saying is that I'd like MRR mag to be more like the Gauge.

:D :D :D

Val

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Just picked up my copy on the way home this evening. I'll peruse the issue from end to end over a few cups of coffee, in front of the fire tomorrow morning. Not as much fun as when The NG&SLG comes home, but it'll do.
thumbs.gif

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
I visited with Ken McCrorry in September as part of a convention layout tour . Ken's layout is magnificent to say the least . Huge . Gigantic . It took a consist of 4 locos and about 75 cars one half hour to complete one lap of the mainline . The layout and ' trainroom / gymnasium/auditorium / took many years to build . We had about 40 people for the visit and there was plenty of room for more . My interest is in modelling steel mills as they relate to mrring and Kens layout has steel as the main theme ( Pennsy Road )
Anyone living in or going to the Philly area should see this some time .

NEIL

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
I still feel MRR fails to strike a balance. I find stuff in there very "beginner" level and stuff that's more of a "certified master" level... But very little in-between, where I suspect most of us lie (certainly KNOW I do myself).

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
I agree with Val, the pics. and the the text don't even scratch the surface of such a massive layout. It seems to me all the pics. with layout articles are from the same area. I know some aren't completed but, I'd still like to see more of the layout/room. I also agree with hudson, MRC is way better, I just wish they would get a proofreader.

I found the trick in the Dec. MRR for modeling stone buildings using the metal eraser holder of a common pencil to stamp rock impressions in wood to be really helpful. Even a novice can produce craftsman results, I think. I tried this simple technique with a favorite material of mine, DAP lightweight Spackle and now I can't think up "stonework" projects fast enough.

Wayne