Decal Woes

Gary S.

Sorry for the bad experience. With the Testors, I printed the decals, waited 30 minutes as per instructions, then sprayed a light coat of the decal bonder, waited 1 hour, sprayed a moderately heavy coat of bonder, let that dry overnight, and it worked great. After the decals were dried the following day, I sprayed 2 coats of dullcoat to hide the decal edges.

Now, I was printing black letters to go on a yellow box car, a light blue boxcar, and an orange boxcar. I think printing lighter colors like yellow and applying to a dark surface is going to be pretty tough regardless of the ink problem. The yellow ink is most likely translucent.

I did need a white seagull on the orange car. For that, I used the white decal paper, and bordered the seagull imageit with orange, as close a color match to the car as I could get. Once the decal was applied and dried, I used some orange paint to blend the orange ink into the car. I haven't weathered it yet, but when it is done, it will look pretty good.

Don't give up. Keep experimenting with different methods. And get back to us with the results.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
2-8-2 said:
I did as instructed, and when I rubbed my finger over the decal, nothing smeared. I let the decal soak in water for 30 seconds (per instructions) and then the ink smeared off.

Bummer! I wonder why.