decal removal

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by jimbogibbo, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

Can anyone tell me how to get an original decal off of a box car so I can custumize it myself?:cry:
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Is it really a decal, or is it stamp printed?

To remove decals, try Micro-sol decal solution. It should soften the decal, provided there is not much "top coat", like Dullcote over it.

To remove stamp printing, try wet/dry sandpaper at 400 - 600 grit. Use it wet.

In either case, you may need to touch up and/or repaint before you reletter the car.

3. fwpoppy

fwpoppy New Member

I have had good luck using regular Pine-Sol. It may take some testing to determine how long an item should soak. I used it on some Athearn Genesis tender shells and around 45 minutes, I could remove the lettering.

4. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Yeah, but Pine-sol will lift the paint, too.

Try using a few drops of Micro-Sol or Solvaset and a toothpick or pencil eraser. You should, with careful scrubbing, be able to lift the decal without lifting the underlying paint.
  5. csiguy

csiguy Member

hi all

i tried removing decals yesterday from a few locomotives and it worked great and wasnt that much work. thank you very much who posted that idea.
  6. csiguy

csiguy Member

forgot to add i removed them using a #2 pencil eraser.
  7. woodone

woodone Member

Sounds good, glad you got the decals off.:thumb:
    Now on to your new decals or paint.
  8. csiguy

csiguy Member

again, thanks again very much, for the advice regarding decal removal. but was wondering if anyone on here has had problems with pollyscale paint? pollyscale jams up my air brush big time and seems to run very bad and leaves a dull finish. just curious f anyone else had these problems and what paint you like the best.

thanks again

9. woodone

woodone Member

Most of the water base paints will clog up an air brush real quick!- and most are a flat paint. You need to clean the tip often. Need to spray on a gloss coat after you have your base coat done. Polly S make a gloss finish.
    What are you using for a thinner- and what ratio paint to thinner?
    I like Floquil the best, but I have used PollyS ( pollyscale) too.
  10. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

11. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

I agree 100%. I swore by Poly S (which I still use a lot) and accupaint, but recently tried Floquil. I'm hooked. It spread so much easier and gave a fantastic finish. It wasn't nearly as difficult to clean the airbrush as I expected, either.