Decal Making

Do any of you have any personal experience with using MicroMark's decal materials? I'm doing my own artwork in PhotoShop and InDesign, but I'd like to print my decals myself rather than paying someone to print them "professionally."

Specifically, what I'm interested in knowing is:

1. How well do MicroMark's decal materials hold up?
2. Is the film thin enough to be "realistic" when applied to a model?
3. Would Dull Coat (Model Master variety) work just as well for a fixative as MicroMark's spray fixative?
4. Finally, if there are problems, are there other brands that will do a better job?

I plan to print them in 6-ink colors at 2400 dpi on a Lexmark printer. (I know, I know, it's not an ALPs, but.... ;) )

Thanks for any info.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Can't speak to Micromark directly, but I have done a number using Bel Decal Paper. Extremely quick turnaround, I think I got my order the next day or the day after (and I live in Canada). Quite reasonable too.

Set includes ten sheets plus a fixative spray. I *hate* Lexmark printers, ugh, but that's a personal bias. My wife and I have a similar inkjet, though, which is what I use. After weathering, they look great. I'd show you a pic but I don't think I have any of those left (previous incarnation of the website). I'll look through my archives tonight and see if I can't find something.

PS - if you need white, you're screwed. That's the great thing about ALPS (not that I can afford or even have room for a third printer) - they do print white.

C

Catt

Actually getting white letters is easy IF you can match your background colour.All you need to do is use white decal paper.

The experiences I've had with Micro-Marks paper have not been pleasant.I've had problems with the decals falling apart in the water.Actually any sealer is usable as long as it is water proof when dry after applying it.(hope that makes sense to you)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have used micromark paper and made decals on the transparent and the white paper. My problem with transparent was to get a light coloured decal to show on a dark backgound. They virtually disappear. To do the same thing with white, I had to cut out the letters which was a pain. As a result, I have stopped making any. May experiment again oneday as I still have blank sheets to use up.
I didn't have the problem Catt describes