Deano's "Easy Weathering" Tutorial

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by MasonJar, Dec 4, 2006.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Extracted from the depths of the layout progress & engine pics thread:

Deano's Easy Weathering!

OK folks!, you read right, its a tutorial on "Deano's Down AND Dirty Weathering" . What I mean by that is, we are going get down to the bare basics of weathering, and dirty things up a bit. Some of you out there are WAY advanced for this, but I hope others find it helpful.

I have an airbrush and have weathered with it, chalks etc., but not everyone has an airbrush, or can use it late at night because the compressor will wake up the wife & kids, so this is my EASY, FOOL PROOF weathering method that I will pass on to YOU! ANYONE CAN DO THIS!

**OK, here is what you need:
    • 1 bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol
    • 1 roll of paper towels
    • 1 can of dull cote
    • 1 can of CHEAP quick dry primer
    • 1 large paint brush
    • 1 bottle of India ink OR, I USE Polly Scale "engine black"
    • 1 old glove
    • 1 container to mix the India ink(or)black paint with the rubbing alcohol(could be a pill bottle, etc.), AND...
    • 1 CLEAN boxcar

Now, the first thing we will do is wipe the whole car down with rubbing alcohol, to get any oils that your hands, or the mold separation might have left on the car.

After the car is clean, we will put the old glove on(so we don't spray our hand gray) , and hold the car about 2-3' away from you, take the CHEAP gray primer and spray the bottom of the sides of the car, holding the spray can 2-3 feet away from it. you just want a LIGHT MIST to hit the car, more on the bottom then the top. DON'T OVER DO IT!, remember, light mist the sides of the whole car .

OK, now that the primer has dried, mix up the rubbing alcohol with your India ink(or)black(water based) paint. I use about 2 tablespoons to about a pint of rubbing alcohol, you might want to use more/less . lay the boxcar on its side, and wet the whole side down with the mixture.

OK, now that the side of the car has the ink(or)paint and alcohol mixture on it, take a paper towel and wipe DOWN STROKES on the car. Remember, DO NOT, wipe the car sideways!!! WIPE DOWN STROKES!!! When the side of the car IS DRY, turn it over and do the same , to do the ends of the car, place it up on its wheels, and apply the mixture, DO NOT wipe the ends off!! Why? Because the ends of the car should be much more dirtier then the sides . do the alcohol/ink(or)paint step as many times as you like, till the car is as dirty as you want it .

AFTER you are finished, and like the way the car has turned out, then apply 2-3 coats of Dull cote to the whole car. DO NOT DULL COTE UNTIL YOU ARE DONE! If you put the alcohol mix on after the dull cote is applied, it will haze up white , sure you could RE-dull cote it, but in MY opinion, it just wont look as good .

After the dull cote has dried...TA! DA!!, YOUR DONE! and just look at that dirty car, YOU have done it! **SIDE NOTE: do your cars in various degrees of filth, NOT ALL cars are REAL DIRTY!, sometimes less, IS MORE!

I hope you have enjoyed the tutorial! till next time...stay on track! -Deano

Thanks Dean for this great addition!
  2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Cool, thanks Andrew, now I don't have to go diggin throught that giant thread looking for the tutorial when someone wants to know how to start weathering, JK, I actually enjoyed going back in his threads, lots of great stuff :D :D :D
  3. cmhockman78

cmhockman78 New Member

4. KCS

KCS Member

That weathering I would leave to the more experianced modeler. It's not easy. I'm still working on it myself.
  5. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

i am VERY familiar with bullrock2004:thumb:. he has been doing AWESOME weathering for about 6yrs, and goes by the name "Aggrojones" on "other" forums;). he's out of Cali, and was in fact, one of those that inspired me to start weathering:thumb:. i haven't conversed with him in about three years, got fed up with the forums he was on. not even sure if he's at them anymore, now i just come HERE!:thumb: :D -Deano
  6. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

That is a very good how to.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  7. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

THANKS Matt!!:D

i posted this tutorial for those that are scared to start weathering, but are tiered of seeing those shiny cars running around the layout. i felt it would give beginners a chance to jump right in, feet first and get some fairly decent results:thumb:.

it is TOTALLY NOT for the advanced, but you can use some aspects of this along with other methods(airbrushing, dry brushing, chalks, etc.) to produce some really neat looking weathering:thumb:.

if some decide they would like to further weathering, having pics of prototype freight cars/engines is a MUST to go by. and remember to weather according to your time period;). a lot of box cars were new in the 30's-40's, so they wouldn't be like some of the rust buckets we see today;). ALSO, weather your cars in different stages of filth and rust, not all cars/engines are super dirty, and full of rust;).

i hope this inspires some to get into weathering!:thumb::D

THANKS!:D -Deano
  8. Chessie6459

Your Welcome Deano. After reading that it got me thinking ( which can be a bad thing around heresign1 ) and I think I might just try that out.:D
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

That reminds me of John Candy in 'Canadian Bacon':

"There's a time to think and a time to act, and this gentlemen is no time to think..."

;) sign1

10. Chessie6459

Good One Andrewsign1
  11. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Thanks a bunch MasonJar ( Merci )
    That's exactly the kind of weathewring info I'm looking for.
  12. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Great work. I have already bookmarked this thread. Thanks for doing it for us :)
  13. Biased turkey

How about some rust so the tutorial will be complete :)

1 can of CHEAP quick dry primer
    Is it acrylic primer ?
    I have an airbrush home, so can I replace the primer with some Tamiya light grey acrylic ?
  14. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

I used just plain old enamel primer to do the tutorial, but ANY plastic friendly fast drying primer/paint will do!:thumb:

As far as the rust goes, there are MANY GREAT ways to do rust, chalks or paint are just a couple...myself, i prefer paint:thumb:. on darker colored cars, i use Floquil "rust". on anything that isn't the color "boxcar red", i make my own rust out of Polly Scale paints. i mix Polly Scale "Milwaukee Road orange" with Polly Scale "boxcar red" and thin it with isopropyl alcohol to make the different shades of rust i use;).

THANKS! :D -Deano
  15. Biased turkey

Thanks for the info about the choice of paint and the dilution ratio for the rust
    Now , do you drybrush rust or make a wash ?
  16. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

depends on how extreme with rust i am going to go;). if you look at the (old)Rail Box in my "weathering thread", i used BOTH:thumb:.

FIRST, i washed the car with my Polly Scale "engine black" and alcohol mix.

NEXT, after i was happy with the "above" step, and the car was DRY, i did the same thing with my RUST wash.

LAST, after i was happy with my "rust wash", and the car was DRY, i started DRY BRUSHING the rust on it.

hope this helps:thumb:.

:D -Deano
  17. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Hey, this sounds like a great how-to on weathering boxcars, and I could really use it for my two still-kit boxcars. However, the pics are all red 'x's, so I can't get a good idea on how they will look.
  18. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Sorry CNWman, when we moved to the new server, the pics DID NOT make it in the move:frowns: .

I still have the pics i did this tutorial with in one of 1000 folders:119::oops: , I'll look for the pics tomorrow night and post 'em when i find them:winki: .
    :deano: -Deano
  19. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Thanks a bunch Deano:thumb::mrgreen: I just got a new 'Walthers Classic' kit for a CNW insulated boxcar (FGE or something) and although it looks awesome (I love the base color), it's obviously a plastic shell, so it needs dirtying up! I'll post a pic of my treatment of the roof later today, and lets just say this car isn't gonna look plasticy when I'M done with it!!!!:mrgreen:
  20. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Sadly, after searching through ALL the folders on my computer for the last 3 nights, i CAN NOT find the pics i took to due this tutorial:frowns: . for some odd reason they must have got thrown out between the time i had originally done this tutorial, and now:frowns: . i DO have a pic of the car i done this tutorial with:thumb: , and it STILL is just as it was since i done this tutorial, i haven't changed ANYTHING on it:winki: .

My deepest apologies folks, next time i do a tutorial, I'll back up my files in case something goes awry again:winki: . :deano: -Deano